1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cell Churches

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I have noticed an increase in the number of cell churches. I have read quiet a bit of positive information concerning them, and I am curious. What do you think about them and why?

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Terry, could you explain what the term "cell churches" means? Thanks.

3. Terry_Herrington

I am not an expert, by any means, about cell churches. All I know is the little I have read. Here is a link that explain it much better than I can: look here I do not have any solid opinions about these churches. I would like to know what you think. [​IMG]

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Terry, thanks to the link to the information. I am in agreement with several of the corrections to "standard" church that cell church idea is trying to accomplish. I think there is some similarity to and overlapping with the house church movement. "Church" for many has become a less personal thing that centers around and focuses on a building and a location. I am unclear on just what these in the cell church movement consider a church is, though. On one hand, the article seems to indicate that each cell is an autonomous church, while on the other hand, I get the impression that the cell churches are united together to make up some kind of larger church body. I would not agree with that idea. I know of one home church leader in this area who holds that all the churches (of every denomination) in their city (Winnsboro) makes up THE CHURCH of Winnsboro, and that each church and home meeting is just one place THE CHURCH of Winnsboro meets. I'm wondering if that is how some of the cell churches operate?

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Australia we have the home church network which is a fast growing Christian Church. The idea is to try and get back to the roots of the church. Alot of it is in protest to the Word of Faith / Prosperity Gospel teachings that have gripped some denominations.

Home churches do solve some problems, they do get people saved. The problem as I see it is potential Heavy Shepherding which does seem to occur. Churches can start out with all good intentions of being different, yet can sometimes be another version of the same anyway.

6. Ken Rhoades

Ken Rhoades New Member

The cell group, has two befits. One a very large profit to the plate for the mega church, and two nice way to hide doctrinal error from the general congregation. I am very sad about how this is going in our local area. You know that ‘cell groups’ are a charismatic growth organization, they are based in hyper unity at any cost and do not care for the Holy Bible or reaching the lost for Christ. I think if the church is two big to be effective then it needs to be made effective, by correction in vision in the body. Cell groups are not the answer, you put a person that is not called by the Holy Ghost or directed by the Holy Bible in the place of a Pastor or Deacon with no real system of review? We are to minister to each other, but the cell organization has the effect of putting a door in the way to communication to the needs of the people. This may be fine for a large percentage of the time, but it can cause harm, if the cell groups were each headed by an recognized elder/pastor and in each group they formulated a deacon board as they grew then the relationship would be correct. But that is called a church plant, or creating a new church. I know that ‘cell groups’ are a money maker, and will give people the ‘power’ with no commitment to the call of God. But it is not right, and needs to be avoided by the people of the Holy Bible. Cell group in the USA may have a diffrent function than in other nations, so I am taling about the US formulation of this type of organization.

Ken ><KJV>

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there any difference between "cell churches" and "cell groups"?

8. Terry_Herrington

I think I need to clarify my question. The church we have visited, which has cell groups, is not a mega church. There is less than 200 people in the church. The pastor, who I have known for years, is doctrinally sound.

He served as Assistant Pastor under his father at a rather large (over 1000 members) baptist church in the area for seventeen years. His father has been at his church for over 40 years. The cell groups are not separate churches, but are accountable to the pastor, as any member of a typical church would be.

His goal is not to, as was suggested in one post, to fill the plates with money. This pastor's goal is to reach people on an individual basis who would be reluctant to attend conventional services. The idea is to bring friends and associates to the cell groups in order to expost them to the gospel and win them to Christ.

9. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Ken Rhoades

Ken Rhoades New Member

It is much the same as the flood of bible perversions on the market. The satanist term for this is 'the glamor and the cookie', the effect is to get the sucker separated from his/her money. You do not care about any real change in life you just want them soft and fuzzy and parting with the cash.
    The great thing about cell groups is that the church does not have to pay for anything, and the successful cell group will have that right amount of nice address and lots of bucks. Then you will have the weekly celebration to get a low maintenance high dollar volume second offering from the regular sunday service. Not one dollar back to the cell - for books, paper, gas, time, clean up or liability insurance.
    The cell group is held to the task of self promotion or fail in the eyes of the CHURCH. The best time to be had at a home cell group that is 'fun', 'light' and 'fuzzy'. The loser cell group is 'bible reading', 'comfort zone pushing' and 'growth demanding'. So how long before we have wife swapping booze party cell groups? After all boozers are people too and we all know you got to be one to win one! We are a 'people' church and we do not wish to push Jesus Christ on anyone. If they feel like it we can even let them read a soda bible hand outs - but don’t push that comfort zone and keep the cash coming.

REVELATION 3:14-22!

Ken ><KJV>

11. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I pretty much agree with Ken on this.

First of all, at least according to the link, the argument is based on a dishonest premise: "traditional" churches (real churches) are referred to as "program based". That's taking an issue that is a problem with some churches, and painting it as though all churches follow that pattern.

If a church is too focused on programs (as some are), then fix it. But it doesn't, as implied on the website, give reason to throw the entire Body of Christ into anarchy.