1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Champions League

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by J.A.B., Jan 31, 2005.

1. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

dont know who follows it, but of any european soccer fans, who do you think will win the Champions League? i think the the winner of the Chelsea v Barcelona game will win it all.

2. Ezekiel

Ezekiel New Member

Yeah that is more than likely. But i can still pull for Liverpool since they are in the final 16 of the champions league.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

soccer???

ewwwww :eek: [​IMG]

4. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

European soccer is probably more exciting than MLS?

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have actually tried to get into soccer and watched it many times. But I just cannot get into it. But if you like it, more power to you! I will stick to other sports [​IMG]

6. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

hey patsfan, ya it really is. its given the same glamour the nfl is given there. i was pretty amazed to see thought that half a million World Cup tickets were sold in the first 16 hours of availability

7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Very interesting, J.A.B. One of the knocks on soccer and hockey in the U.S. is the lack of scoring. Do you personally find soccer as thrilling as football?

8. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

ya i really do. i have watched games that end 0-0 that are really exciting. for instance, i watched real madrid last year in a game wen they scored after like 5 minutes, really early. then they changed formation and stacked the defense. the next 85 minutes or so was edge of the seat. just watching monaco (the other team) trying to take the lead agaisnt that defense was amazing. they got really close so many times but never scored. but it was one of the best games.

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I probably just never really gave soccer a chance. Do you think U.S. soccer fans just lack enthusiasm? Maybe in Ireland you can't help getting drawn into the excitement? I admit I like good defense in football. It can be thrilling when each team shuts down the other team's offence- -and then out of nowhere a big play happens on defense for a score.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Very interesting, J.A.B. One of the knocks on soccer and hockey in the U.S. is the lack of scoring. Do you personally find soccer as thrilling as football? </font>[/QUOTE]Last night, my favourite English Premiership team, Chelsea won a match 1-0. The scored in the 5th minute. The goalkeeper had just broken the English record for 694 minuted without conceding a goal. I listened (no coverage on the telly) for the next 85 minutes on the edge of my seat. The game got sloppy toward the end, but by conceding one goal Chelsea would have lost two points in theit lead for the English league. Cech held on despite attack after attack, even saving a penalty kick and it has no been 13 hours of play since he has conceded a goal. Amazing stuff.

As far as the Champions League, las season Chelsea played another English team, Arsenal late in the competition. They played two matches, one in each stadium. It was the most thilling 180 minutes of sport I have even seen.

Just in case you think I only know Euroean sports, we didn't move here until I was almost 40. I enjoy American football as well, and rugby is my favourite sport. However, I do really, truly, honestly find soccer exciting. Only after I really got to understand the sport though.

11. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

last night made me sick. my team was winning, (despite having missed 2 penalty kicks, thats just stupid) 1-0 until the very last minute. the other team scored to tie the game 1-1. AAAAAAAAHHHHH

12. Ezekiel

Ezekiel New Member

Yeah but L'pool got the win this week. And who scored but Morientes. European socer is in a class by itself. Watching these guys play is amazing.

13. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Understanding soccer is probably the key, and I'll bet the brand of soccer you get in Europe is superior to what we have here in the U.S. It sounds like you have some superstars playing there. I'll bet Ireland is a great place to do missions work. It sounds like you guys enjoy it there. God bless your ministry.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks - my VERY favourite sports competition starts this weekend - 6 Nations Rugby. It is a tourneyment involving Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, and France.

BTW, my team, Chelsea are still in the Champions League running and may win four major trophies this year.

The goalkeeper who opposed my team last night is an American, Brad Freidel and he plays for the US national side.

15. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

well the US soccer mls would be alot better if it werent for two things. All the American superstars (Brad Friedel, Landon Donovan, Brian McBride, DeMarcus Beasley, John O'Brien, Claudio Reyna) all play in Europe. there are only two good Americans left in America (Brian Ching and Josh Wolff). another thing is that there just isnt enough support. wen i move back ill get into the MLS

16. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

J.A.B., That's interesting about all the American superstars being in Europe. I didn't realize that. It sounds like you know your stuff about soccer and the NFL. I think you and C4K have the gift of evangelism, ha, ha. You've both almost converted me to soccer, ha, ha.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Either that or the fact that we have both kissed the Blarney Stone is having an impact [​IMG] .

18. Ezekiel

Ezekiel New Member

Donovan just moved there though. It was a shame to see him leave the MLS. I like to see good players stay in their original team. Adu still play there but he will be gone within a couple of years.

19. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Another soccer evangelist, ha, ha. Maybe I'll have to check out the New England Revolution. You three guys are inspiring me.

20. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

Revolution have a really good player, name is Taylor Twellman. he is really good.