1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charges Dismissed Against the Gideons

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Aug 2, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/08/florida_judge_dismisses_charge.php

Florida judge dismisses charges against Gideons

Ed Thomas
    OneNewsNow.com
    August 2, 2007

Charges have been dropped against two individuals after they were accused of trespassing on a sidewalk outside of a Florida public school. The two men had been handing out Bibles.

On January 19, police arrested Ernest Simpson and Anthony Mirto for trespassing after the principal of Key Largo School called police to complain, according to David Cortman, an attorney for the two men. The two men were with the organization Gideons International and were distributing Bibles.

Cortman says after he filed the initial motion to dismiss for his clients, the state agreed to dismiss the charges but then filed new ones under a different statute -- one which made it illegal to be within 500 feet of any school, even if the individual is standing on a public sidewalk.

At a hearing last week, a Maricopa County judge granted the motion to dismiss the new charges against Simpson and Mirto, which Cortman says confirms that it was a case of an overaggressive government attempting to silence Christians exercising their constitutional rights.

"The First Amendment protects the right of Christians to distribute Bibles and engage in other religious speech on public sidewalks, and it's certainly a sad day when Gideons are arrested for distributing Bibles on a public sidewalk," states Cortman.

The attorney says Christians cannot be treated like second-class citizens for exercising their constitutional rights -- and the judge's dismissal confirms that, he adds.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Not a surprising ruling, coming out of Florida, but as I have said before, I don't want ANY strangers accosting my grandkids along a sidewalk. Kids need to be taught not to approach any stranger, and to run if they come up to them. The Gideons need to stay away from such an approach and stick to talking with adults, or with families while parents are present.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    considering the times we live in, I think Magnetic Poles is right.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And so many folks deny that Christianity is under attack.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Quite honestly it is the only thing that will draw Christians toward repentence.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I pray your intended meaning was in the first definition of this word...

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion." - Proverbs 28:1

"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus." - Acts 4:13​

"And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word," - Acts 4:29​

I am at a loss for why a Christian would be offended by another Christian handing out Bibles to children in a public setting and consider this to be a bad thing because of some perceived stranger danger. This is one of the most critical demographics that is not being reached by Christians. If the antichrist schools would allow Christians into the facilities then maybe they wouldn't have to stand on the sidewalk and get arrested by folks that are either opposed to the Constitution, never read the Constitution or have forgot what it said. God bless the Gideons for trying to reach these children with the word. Far better it be to be by their side and on their side, than to murmur about their bold efforts.

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

While I have faith in the Gideons I am not comfortable with adults approaching my children without another adult present. I fail to see how this is possible out on the public sidewalk. What would a child be doing by themselves on the sidewalk out front of the school unattended? Probably doesn't happen much, but in the few cases it does I would not care for it. there is a real and constant danger out there from pediphiles and nut cases.

8. grahame

grahame New Member

Forgive me. But have I missed something here? The charges againsts them because they were on a public sidewalk. I haven't read anything here which suggests that they were talking to children or giving them Bibles? I was in Truro in Cornwall once and I saw two men asked to leave because they were preaching the gospel on the cathedral steps. I'm wondering if the complaint was made just because the principal was offended that they were there and that alone?

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Could be this

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Could be this is the case.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I expected this to happen, but I'm sorry it took this long.

The Gideons are very active, handing out Bibles in our town, and I hope they never stop.

I've never heard of a case where a Gideon attacked a child. They go in groups just for that reason. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

12. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Good points.

Amen to that....These are fine, dedicated people doing good things.

13. Magnetic Poles

So you guys think it is impossible for a pedophile to join the Gideons? There are plenty of them in the pulpit.

14. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I would sooner insulate children from the RCC than the Gideons. But total insulation of children from perverts is impossible, and the Gideons are as safe a group in that sense as any safe group.

15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

So, MP. You look at a group of men (not one man by himself) and instead of saying Praise God, they are about their Father's business - you say, I bet one of them is a pedophile???

16. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Why attack all posts of good news for the Christian community MP?

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not impossible for a pedophile to join the Gideons. And it's definitely far from impossible for a pedophile to become a teacher at a school such as the one herein referred; and children are required by law to be there many hours a day when their parents cannot be. Would you really be more afraid of the Gideons here?

18. Magnetic Poles

I attack nothing of the sort. I am saying that it is a sad commentary on human nature, but that I would not want strangers approaching my grandkids. Gideons or not. There are better ways to distribute Bibles than preying on children without their parents present. I do not see that as "good news for the Christian community".

I also believe it is the parents' responsibility, and right, to oversee the religious training of their own kids. Would you think it okay for a group of Imams to distribute the Koran to children walking home from school?

#18 Magnetic Poles, Aug 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Now the Gideons are predators? Who's side are you on Christian?

20. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you, Magnetic Poles. I do not want strangers talking to my children, Gideon or not. I don't particularly like adults talking to my children when I'm present, as a matter of fact.

peace to you:praying: