1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Daughter, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

I understand your statement and can say that through the years I have looked at other explanations but anyway you look at it, we are told that scripture is given by inspiration of God. If this is true and is what I must hold on to then I truly must accept the written account as accurate and not from man. Otherwise I then cast doubt on all scripture as having the potential for mistakes. As far as God revealing other things to us in creation, what He has revealed has stumped all science in that each new wrinting of man consistantly trys to extend the period of creation to account for the lack of evolutionary proof.
    Isa 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

What a blessing!!!!!!!!

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't care one bit if you ever believe me on anything whatsoever. means nothing to me. but if you believe Him, you'd believe Him when He says he spoke the creation into being. Not man, and his false theories that are meant to contradict not only God, but His very existence. Everything we see in scripture contradicts evolution. you may believe your descended from a monkey and slime, but I know by the word of God I am not. I beleive Him.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Slime? No. Primordial ooze.

Monkey? No Homo erectus.

He spoke the world into being? Hmmm Jesus is the Logos. Where exactly are you going with this?

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Once agian God tells us He created and did it in 6 days. The word days this time being His word not mine.

Exodus 20: 11
    For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day

six = Strong's H8337
    six (as an overplus (see H7797) beyond five or the fingers of the hand); as ordinal sixth:—six ([-teen, -teenth]), sixth.

seventh = Strong's H7637
    seventh:—seventh (time).

days = Strong's H3117
    From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially):—age, + always, + chronicles, continually (-ance), daily.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not sure what you mean. Going to scripture and what it says. Thats where I'm going.
    Gen. 1
    3Then God said,
    6Then God said,
    9Then God said,
    11Then God said,
    14Then God said,
    20Then God said,
    24Then God said,
    yep, looks like God spoke creation into being. but He is being challenged on this thread that maybe He isn't telling the truth.

It's still slime.
    And monkey's are still monkey's.

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All of which I accept - but I still believe in theistic evolution...as have the vast majority of Godly Christians over the last 2000 years.

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yep, I believe that. We just disagree as to how He created it.
    No, you're quite right - I don't believe Man and his false theories like YECism; I do however accept the glaringly obvious factual data that in no way contradicts what God has written, but merely explains and demonstrates how He has done it.
    Not quite. Everything in your interpretation of Scripture (hint: massive difference) contradicts evolution

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No a Lemur may be a monkey like creature but it is not a monkey. Homo Erectus may be a monkey like creature but doesn't mean its a monkey. And primordial ooze is different than slime.

God Said he spoke Jesus is the word or the Logos. So as Jesus proceeds from the father he is creating? Is this what you are saying?

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Evolution says 'creation' (not that evolutionists beleive in creation) was over millions of years. Not days. A christian who beleives evolutions disbeleive God's own testimony of creation. He spoke it happend, 6 days, as He said. he told us the how(spoke), and the time(6 days) it took.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

You seem to be twisting anything I say, and I suspect your doing it on purpose.
    I am only saying what scripture says.

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

No, Christian theistic evolutionists do believe in creation.
    Not six literal days, no. That is plainly intellectually absurd!
    No, we merely disbelieve a particular man-made interpretation of that testimony, an interpretation that disregards things such as context, literary genre etc, an interpretation that, in short, reads the Bible badly.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you believe it to a literal.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I supose we'll just have to accept the fact God's a liar then. because He mislead us by saying 6 days.
    It's not a man made interpetation, God Himself said 6 days.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why would I not believe the word of God to be true?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why can't the earth be millions of years old on day one? On the day God created Adam, Adam was immediately an adult. I believe every massive oak tree was created with age, too, as well as all animals. Each and every thing was created with age built in. The point is, we know God created with age, so on day one, the earth could have been billions of years old using the measurment we call time.

Evolution runs into the problem of creation and time. Did the fish turn into the monkey over time as an embryo, or fully adult monkey? Where are the intermediate forms at, if fossils prove evolution? I mean, they have to be there...right?!?

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I haven't twisted anything you said. I'm just asking you to clarify meaning. But yes I am doing it on purpose. (I'm teasing in a mischevious way.)

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    two different statements. Literal verses true.

You can believe God to be speaking a principle that is true or you can take it to be literal. Jesus told the story of the prodical son. Principle or literal?

18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bolded Mine

Well, m'friend, if you want to deny everything in scripture that is "
    intellectually absurd", then you have just denied the virgin birth AND the resurrection!!!!

Not a good call for a Christian!!!

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I believe in the 6 days as 6 days for several reasons:

1) The account of Genesis is in a narrative style; if we don't believe the 6 days, what else in it should we not believe?

2) God would not mislead the people getting His word; at that time, the Jewish people would have thought "6 days" as they knew them and this is what God said

3) The 6 days are mentioned again in Exodus:

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Evolution most certainly was not believed or even understood through most of church history,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.