1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chief Justice Moore and the 10 Commandments

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor Larry, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

For those of you who condemn the chief justice's refusal to obey the "law" requiring him to remove it, did you also condemn the breaking of the laws in the 60s that brought an end to segregation? Why or why not?

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I wasn't around then, but I would have probably been among those who were protesting the Jim Crow laws. The difference is that there is no Biblical precedent in which Moore defends himself. However, the Bible tells us that we should fight against inequality and strive to show love to all of our neighbors. In Christ, there is no black or white. There is a difference between unjust laws and what Judge Moore is doing.

3. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Scott, It is obvious you were not around in the 60's. Very apparent.

By the way I guess our founders were wrong to stand against the king of England, also. Maybe we should apologize to them and pay restitution.
    If it had been left up to your kind we would still be kissing the queens feet. WAKE UP!!!

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Segregation was morally wrong. Removing the Ten Commentments is not morally wrong.

5. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

JohnV
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You always amaze me at how poor of job our educational system is doing and how weak a lot of churches are in their teachings.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Check your Baptist Distinctives. Note the one that says "Separation of Church and State". Adherence to the Distinctive is mandatory for Baptists, not optional. If any of the church's teachings are weak, it's churches who treat the DIstinctives as suggestions.

As for our educational system, I was educated in private christian schools through college.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Judge Moore has broken no law by displaying the monument but the federal judge is wrong when it comes to the federal constitution.

8. ScottEmerson

And Judge Moore has broken no law by displaying the monument but the federal judge is wrong when it comes to the federal constitution. </font>[/QUOTE]But the federal judge trumps Moore, does he not? If the ruling is made, then Moore has the responsibility of following it.

9. ScottEmerson

So what is the Scriptural command that Judge Moore would be breaking by following the law?

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. According to the federal constitution the states, and the people, retain the rights that it does not confer to the federal government. How the the justice building in the State of Alabama is decorated is not delegated by the federal constitution to the federal government. It is left with the State of Alabama.

11. ScottEmerson

Nope. According to the federal constitution the states, and the people, retain the rights that it does not confer to the federal government. How the the justice building in the State of Alabama is decorated is not delegated by the federal constitution to the federal government. It is left with the State of Alabama. </font>[/QUOTE]So according to this logic, a murder can occur within the justice building in Alabama, and if the state law doesn't have a prohibition against murder, the person is okay?

By this logic, a state could ban abortions, and we also know that this is not the case.

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Actually, this is one issue that is at the heart of the Roe v. Wade discussion. There are a great number of legal scholars who agree that Roe v. Wade created a constitutional right, rather than enforcing one. They believe that the SCOTUS overstepped its bounds. Today, if Roe v. Wade were overturned, the issue would return to the states, which is where is should be to begin with. The federal government had no business stepping in there.

Interesting discussion. I was interested to see what the response would be. I am inclined to believe that both justice Moore and the civil rights lawbreakers of the 60s are in violation of Scripture. There was no one being forced to disobey Scripture in segregation. While I disagree with segregation and think it was wrong, no one was being forced to disobey Scripture. I think Judge Moore is also wrong. I think the federal court made a bad decision here. They have an increasing habit of doing this. They injected themselves in an issue in which they have no standing according to the 10th amendment. Judge Moore's case rests on that alone and it perhaps could be made convincingly. That is why I say I am inclined to think that they are both wrong. However, let's be honest ... teh 10 commandments have been posted in public places for years and it has had little or no affect. Crime is not dropping because of public placement of the 10 commandments.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's your opinion, but that's not the case.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So then, Alabama can adopt Shintoism as its official religion, and that wouldn't violate the US Constition? You'd be wrong if you thought so.

15. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Scott, Hebrew 6:16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation [is] to them an end of all strife.

An oath with men is for confirmation, and is an end of all strife. This is the nature and design of an oath, in which men swear by the greater, not by creatures, but by the Lord himself; and it is to put an end to all dispute about the matter, both to disputes within our own breasts (doubts and distrusts), and disputes with others, especially with the promiser. Judge Moore made such an oath and he is bound morally and biblically to keep it.

16. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Johnv. I just can't help but wonder how you have gotten so off base. :confused:

17. ScottEmerson

Ha! I thought you were on thin Biblical ice here. Thanks for proving me right. This is about as big of a stretch as the pro-slavery people on the board are making.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In what regard. It seems the Supreme Court, as well as many folks on this board, agree with me.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not if a law is passed to do so.

20. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

SCott, Gotcha, truth hurts [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]