1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Children's Church Songs?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Mrs.Owl, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Mrs.Owl

Mrs.Owl New Member

My husband and I teach the kiddos (when they come, that is) at our church, and I was wondering if anyone had any favorite kid songs? or just simple fun songs that aren't overused like "Deep and Wide."

I really like to teach them Scripture songs also.

If you have one, can you try to post a link so I can hear it? I can play the piano, I'm not the best with sight reading a song I've never heard.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Here are some sources We've used at our church:

1. Seeds Family worship (scripture songs) I like this one the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc9pEb-Ej7U. Their website has chord sheets, I believe.

2. Go Fish Guys (They make VBS Music)...here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZdfvs1CEVg. They have taken several traditonal children's songs and revamped them. Even if you don't like their arrangements, it might remind you of some songs you've forgotten.

3. Andrew Peterson: "God made me" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr2Ib3c3ujc

My own kids also really like to sing "Rise and shine and give God the Gooey, Gooey" (well, that's their version) :)

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. paigeswan

paigeswan New Member

My favorite song has always been Sanctuary. It is very simple and I learned it at Presbyterian summer camp when I was 9.
    Here are the lyrics if you don't know the song:
    Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary
    Pure and holy, tried and true
    With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
    Sanctuary for You

It is you, Lord
    Who came to save
    The heart and soul
    Of every man
    It is you Lord
    Who knows my weakness
    Who gives me strength,
    With thine own hand.

Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary
    Pure and Holy, tried and true
    With thanksgiving I'll be a living
    Sanctuary for you

Lead Me on Lord
    From temptation
    Purify me
    From within
    Fill my heart with
    Your holy spirit
    Take away all my sin

Lord prepare me to be sanctuary
    Pure and holy, tried and true
    With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
    Sanctuary for You

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

Here are some Christian songs for children that you may want to check out:

- You Reap What You Sow by Ron Hamilton
    - Only A Boy Named David by Arthur Arnott
    - The Crayon Box Song by Williams Mason
    - I've Got The Joy, Joy, Joy by George Willis Cooke

6. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some 20+ years I was involved in three different Baptist churchs' Bus Ministry & loved it. I know why Jesus likened the Kingdom to those who had that simple, childlike faith. To me, kids can really cut right to the chase that we "OLDer, MORE mature(?) people sometimes overlook. Examples: (1) This 7-8 girl was SO excited about Jesus that she'd run up and down the aisles at the grocery store and ask strangers, "I love Jesus! Do YOU love Jesus?" Her mother expressed (& rightfully so I guess) her concerns that what her daughter was doing may not be the way to address strangers. Her reply was, "Mommy, do YOU love Jesus?" Every Sunday after that, all 3 (she, her baby brother and Mommy were on that bus! (2) One Sat. afternoon I rang the bell of the house where two identical twin girls lived. In unison they told me, "Mr Paul, guess what! Daddy's going to get us a brand-new puppy!" When I asked them the puppy's breed, they replied, "Well, we don't know for sure, but it's breed is named after a car!" I scratched my head & wondered what kind of breed is named after a car? A Chevy pup? A Ford? A Buick?, etc. Then their mother told me: "It's a Dat Sun!!" (3) For months my bus route was on the US Army's Ft Campbell Dependent Housing Villages. Sweet 8YO Krissy Hewlett would ride on that bus. Since Ft Campbell is where the 101st Airborne (Air Asault) Div is based, just about every soldier would be deployed for who-knows-where & who-knows-for-how-long. I asked Krissy where her Daddy was, but all she knew was that, "Daddy's gone & my little brother & Me & Mommy sure do miss him!!" "I'm sure you do." Then Krissy asked me,"Mr Paul....Will you be my Daddy?" How could I refuse her? "Sure, Krissy. BUT only till your real Daddy comes home." That was in 1985. Soon after Thanksgiving of 1985, Krissy excitedly told me, "Mr Paul, my Daddy's coming home in a couple of weeks!! We're gonna have the bestest Christmas we'll ever have 'cause Daddy's gonna be here at last!!" I got excited too since I never met "Daddy." Then, on December 12, 1985, on its final takeoff from the Gander, Newfoundland, Canada, that jetliner crashed & some 240 soldiers and flight crew were killed. Daddy didn't come home. What soon-to-be 9 YO Krissy, her younger brother Ronnie Hewlett & "Mommy" were anxiously awaiting the arrival of Army Sgt Ronald Hewlett,Sr, when they were told the news by the Div Chaplain of what had just occurred. Krissy's "Bestest" Christmas never took place. I can't know what had to be going through their hearts & minds, in fact, I had trouble understanding God's will at that time. That was 35 yrs go. Krissy is probably married & probably has children of her own. But to me, she'll always be that sweet 8 YO girl who asked me to be her "Daddy." These are memories, encouraging, funny at times, and heart-breaking. I praise God that He allowed me the privilege of working with kids. To me, it was worth it all. BTW, you asked about songs that we sung while working with kids. Here's an "Answer" song to "Jesus Loves Me": I love Jesus, does He know? Have I ever told Him so? Jesus loves to hear me say that I love Him every day. Yes, I love Jesus! Yes, I love Jesus! Yes, I love Jesus! In prayer I'll tell Him so! BTW, that works for us "Older, & MUCH MORE mature" people too. Selah.