1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chimes sound "not serious"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listened on NPR today on my way to work that BMW actually had tryouts for their warning chimes.

They wanted one that sounded pleasant, yet serious.

Interesting that they didn't say, "Sounds are neutral, so it doesn't matter what we apply."

For those who look to the Psalms for direction in church music, I could only find one Psalm that actually described the "character" of the sound with which God desired to be worshipped (I don't consider "loud" to be a character trait).

Psalm 92:3.

2. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    Interesting that they didn't say, "Sounds are neutral, so it doesn't matter what we apply."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure they weren’t thinking, "boy, let's make sure our chimes don't sound immoral!". Music is neutral (in the moral sense) but it still causes certain feelings and emotions - that's what makes music so amazing - and that's why BMW wanted to make sure that there chime brought about the feeling that they wanted us to feel.

Trevor

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: TJAcorn ]

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron made the following non sequitur:

And the fact that some sounds are better attention-getters than other is relevant to the music discussion . . . well, how, exactly?

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just some more practices that are quite inconsistent with the "music is neutral" world view.

No one really believes that.

5. Joy

Joy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Music is neutral (in the moral sense) but it still causes certain feelings and emotions - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And feelings and emotions cause moral decisions! ;)

Here's a few emotions that cause moral decisions-

Anger

Lust

Depression

Think about it ;)

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

But which sounds exactly create those emotions? That is what is not being addressed in these cheap examples. Almost noone here is sayign music is neutral. It's the "classical only is good" argument that is being challenged, and let's not stray from that with remote arguments about "neutrality". All this stuff about chimes does not prove what style is good or not.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron said:

Just some more practices that are quite inconsistent with the "music is neutral" world view.

No one really believes that.

No one really believes that something that goes "bing!" in a BMW is music, either, but that doesn't seem to make much difference to you.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, but Ransom, music doesn't exist without sound, and if sounds are not neutral, neither is music.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron said:

Ah, but Ransom, music doesn't exist without sound, and if sounds are not neutral, neither is music.

Which does nothing to address the simple fact that a "Bing!" noise in a BMW is not music, and therefore you have (again!) proven nothing. This is a complete, total, utter, unmitigated non sequitur.

This is rather like saying that since pickles are good, chocolate is good, bread is good, vanilla ice cream is good, and Dom Perignon is good, then if you tossed them all in a blender and made a pickle, chocolate, bread, and champagne milkshake, it would also be good.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Ransom ]

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't remember ever describing the chime in the BMW as a "bing" noise. I thought I said "chime" with a "serious" but "pleasant" sound.

I don't think if you heard the report you would characterize it as a bing noise either.

Either way, it's good to have you back. :D

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron said:

I don't think if you heard the report you would characterize it as a bing noise either.

And whether it was or not, I wouldn't have tried to draw a conclusion about music from it, either.

12. FaithRemains

FaithRemains New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    For those who look to the Psalms for direction in church music, I could only find one Psalm that actually described the "character" of the sound with which God desired to be worshipped (I don't consider "loud" to be a character trait).

Psalm 92:3.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Psalm 81:1 "Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob."

Psalm 95:1 "O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation."

Psalm 95:2 "Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms."

Psalm 98:6 "With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King."

Psalm 100:1 "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands."

I found five more. (unless joyful is not a character trait).

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Joshua2415 ]

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I play the chimes in church while we are singing our congregational songs. They hardly make me think of the BMW, nor of immorality, but brings me into the sheer presence of God alone. For me, it is an act of worship.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joshua,

Yes, Joyful yet solemn.

15. CrazyPinkAlien

CrazyPinkAlien New Member

Hey, this Alien needs some explination. I just took off from a planet where the evils of rock and pop thing was startin' to fly. Is that what's goin' on here? Or has this alien just blasted off one too many times? :confused:

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off, let me welcome you to earth. It's obvious you're not from around here! :eek:

I don't think the "chimes" issue will get deep into the "good" or "evil" (or "neutrality") of Rock Music, Alien. :cool:

If you care to, please start a thread on an aspect of that subject . . . and then duck!! [​IMG]

17. CrazyPinkAlien

CrazyPinkAlien New Member

No, no, don't care to do that right now, thanks for the info, earthling.
    P.s. you're welcome on my ship any time! :D :D

18. got2liv4him

got2liv4him New Member

To me, we are all going to justify what we listen to, to try to prove our point about everything. So obviously this topic is never going to get solved on this board. But we must look into God's Word and see where we truly stand. The fact is that the Bible doesn't state what form of music to listen to, it does though have other principles, principles that we which are children of God should live every facet of our lives by. If we live our lives by 1 Cor. 10 and Romans 14 then half of the stuff that is considered Christian music (or a lot of other things we do as Christians) will have to be cut out from our lives, to not offend and to not cause our conscience to doubt. Other principles also dictate our lives and the music we listen to. Just a point to ponder that instead of trying to find worldy examples of why things or wrong or right why not bring the Bible into the light that it may light our paths and make us more like Christ.