1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Chosen to Eternal Life? [Acts 13:48]

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.....sure...."mutual consent"...lol

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Unfair Icon, I do not always agree with Winman, but he does not ignore, he is always willing to respond. Obviously, you give little value to his responses, but to charge him with "ignoring" is just not accurate.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When people take the time to go over his posts, explain the greek words ,etc....and he then goes on to repeat the errors over and over...what would you call it QF....When is the last time you saw winman say....
    good point, I never saw that before????

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

And it is man who from free will accepts. God's election and man's free will working unto salvation.

John 7:17
    "If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own."

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

When I was a young [not in years] believer I believed, as do many on this Board, in the free will of mankind.

I believe it was the Scripture Acts 13:48 that, more than any other, started me on the path of understanding and believing the wonderful Doctrines of Grace. My Dad, an Old Regular Baptist, first brought that passage to my attention. God is to be praised for His marvelous Grace!

6. OldRegular

Not really freeatlast!

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are half way there. You will be able to praise Him even more once you accept the bibles teaching that both election and free will are part of His plan. Glory to God!
    :godisgood:

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

If you ever make a good point I will acknowledge it.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes really. Just like Jesus was really both man and God, God uses election and free will unto salvation. :godisgood:

10. quantumfaith

He is no more "obstinate" about his views than any one of the rest of us. Just because someone explains "how they and their scholars" see something does not make one necessarily right and the other wrong.

11. quantumfaith

I am "old" both chronologically and "spiritually" and I still count myself (happily and confidently) among those "free willers". At least in the pejorative sense that it is so often bantered about around here.

12. OldRegular

Salvation is and always has been an individual/personal transaction between God and man. I am unaware of Scripture that indicate otherwise. If there is I would appreciate being enlightened.

13. quantumfaith

Does it help you to lose weight? :)

14. quantumfaith

Excellent analysis. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

One reason I rarely pay any attention to Icon's posts is that all he does is parrot others. If I wanted to hear what Reformed preachers of the past thought, I could build a Reformed library or listen to Sermon Audio as he does.

I prefer to discuss scripture with someone who speaks for themselves. Anybody can parrot someone else, that does not make one a scholar.

Look, I am sure I err at times, but I always post scripture and explain my own interpretation of that scripture. I have on occasions quoted Barnes, or Gill, or Spurgeon, but that is usually to show that my own personal interpretations are not "off the wall". In fact, these scholars are often very close how I personally interpret scripture.

I am of the belief that all believers have the Holy Spirit and with prayer can come to understand scripture.

I simply like to think for myself, and I enjoy speaking with others who can think for themselves. I do not appreciate parrots.

16. OldRegular

Forty five plus years is not young spiritually. Eighty plus years is not young chronologically, unless one is politically correct. I will confess that I use the term "freewiller" in the pejorative sense and I should not do so!

17. quantumfaith

I really like, admire and respect this about you Winman.

18. quantumfaith

I really appreciate that and will promise to return the "favor" by not being "disrespectful" toward others not of my ilk as well.

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Saul, yet breathing of threatening and slaughter to the disciples of the Lord, having gone to the chief priest, did ask from him letters to Damascus, unto the synagogues, that if he may find any being of the way, both men and women, he may bring them bound to Jerusalem.

At this time was Saul in unbelief or belief, was he an unbeliever or a believer. Once again unbeliever/believer of what?

And in the going, he came nigh to Damascus, and suddenly there shone round about him a light from the heaven, and having fallen upon the earth, he heard a voice saying to him, `Saul, Saul, why me dost thou persecute?'

At that moment was Saul an unbeliever or a believer?

And he said, `Who art thou, Lord?'

What about at that moment, an unbeliever or believer?

and the Lord said, `I am Jesus whom thou dost persecute; hard for thee at the pricks to kick;'

Jesus who? Jesus what?

trembling also, and astonished, he (Saul) said, `Lord, what dost thou wish me to do?'

What about at this moment, unbeliever or believer?

and the Lord [said] unto him, `Arise, and enter into the city, and it shall be told thee what it behoveth thee to do.' And the men who are journeying with him stood speechless, hearing indeed the voice but seeing no one, and Saul arose from the earth, and his eyes having been opened, he beheld no one, and leading him by the hand they brought him to Damascus, and he was three days without seeing, and he did neither eat nor drink.

I wonder why three days?

And there was a certain disciple in Damascus, by name Ananias, and the Lord said unto him in a vision, `Ananias;' and he said, `Behold me, Lord;' and the Lord [saith] unto him, `Having risen, go on unto the street that is called Straight, and seek in the house of Judas, [one] by name Saul of Tarsus, for, lo, he doth pray, and he saw in a vision a man, by name Ananias, coming in, and putting a hand on him, that he may see again.' And Ananias answered, `Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how many evils he did to Thy saints in Jerusalem, and here he hath authority from the chief priests, to bind all those calling on Thy name.'

And the Lord said unto him, `Be going on, because a choice vessel to Me is this one, to bear My name before nations and kings -- the sons also of Israel; for I will shew him how many things it behoveth him for My name to suffer.'

Is Saul at this moment still blind, whatever that means, is he still in unbelief or belief?

And Ananias went away, and did enter into the house, and having put upon him [his] hands, said, `Saul, brother, the Lord hath sent me -- Jesus who did appear to thee in the way in which thou wast coming -- that thou mayest see again, and mayest be filled with the Holy Spirit.'

Once Jesus the Lord, who, what? Acts 2:36 assuredly, therefore, let all the house of Israel know, that both Lord and Christ did God make him -- this Jesus whom ye did crucify.'------Exactly when did God make Jesus both Lord and Christ?

And immediately there fell from his eyes as it were scales, he saw again also presently, and having risen, was baptized, and having received nourishment, was strengthened, and Saul was with the disciples in Damascus certain days, and immediately in the synagogues he was preaching the Christ, that he is the Son of God.

Who was he preaching the Christ, the Son of God? Why was he preaching this.

Just when did this free will kick in and save Saul?
    Free will is an amazing thing, Ain't it.

:) :)

20. quantumfaith

Yes, I think it is an amazing and awesome characteristic that God made a part of His design. Very humbling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.