1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ is continually sacrificed?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Living4Him, Apr 23, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I said - the fact that the powers did not originate in the first century.

The fact that this error evolved over time.

The fact that the error PRODUCED the division of "Sacred Clergy" Vs "profane laity" OVER TIME.

The fact that these guys REFUSED to be called priests or to be linked in that way to Jews or pagans..

ALL testify to an EVOLVING error rather than a First Century mandate or gift of "powers".

Now I understand why you prefer to avoid the salient points of the discussion and focus instead on the idea of "them powers having any magic to 'em".

But lets try to stay on focus.

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this question relates to the original post. Please respond.

3. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Debby, this is in response to your question.

The Mass has always been held to be a relative sacrifice--relative to the sacrifice of the Cross, not independent of it. The Council of Trent says the Mass is the means "whereby that bloody sacrifice once to be accomplished on the Cross might be represented, the memory thereof remain even to the end of the world, and its salutary effects applied to the remission of those sins which we daily commit" (Session 22, chapter 1).

Trent continues by saying, "And inasmuch as in this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the Mass is contained and immolated in an unbloody manner the same Christ who once offered himself in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross, the holy council teaches that this is truly propitiatory....For the victim is one and the same, the same now offering by the ministry of priests who then offered himself on the Cross, the manner alone of offering being different" (Session 22, chapter 2).

Frank Sheed summarizes Catholic teaching on the point in Theology and Sanity:

"There is no new slaying of Christ in the Mass....Yet that it is the Christ who was slain upon Calvary is shown sacramentally by the separate consecration of bread to become His body and wine to become His blood. The essence of the Mass is that Christ is making an offering to the Father of Himself, who was slain for us upon Calvary. The Mass is Calvary, as Christ now offers it to His Father."

Hebrews teaches the atoning death of Christ was effective for the remission of sins and hence needed to be offer only once. But this speaks of what theologians call the "objective redemption." It doesn't mean that, since Jesus died for everyone, everyone will get to heaven. (That's universalism.) The merits or the fruits of Christ's death need to be applied to the individual.

When Catholic theologians talk about the Mass being a propitiatory sacrifice for the remission of sins, they mean, among other things, that the objective redemption which Christ's sacrifice on the Cross merited is subjectively applied to the individual through the sacrifice of the Mass.

Christ's sacrifice objectively merited redemption on the Cross. The same sacrifice of Christ, now offered sacramentally, not physically, is applied to the individual in the Eucharist.

Far from substituting for the Cross or to make up for something that's lacking in Christ's sacrifice, the Mass is a means by which we receive the benefits of the Atonement.

Christ IS "always able to save those who approach God through him, since he lives forever to make intercession for them" (Heb. 7:25). What is the basis of this intercession? The sacrifice of the Cross (Heb. 7:27; 9:12; 10:14), which is forever present before God in the heavenly tabernacle because he who was both offered as victim and who offered the sacrifice as priest "appears before God on our behalf" (Heb. 9:24).

Christ's perfect offering of himself present in heaven (Heb. 9:11-12) is brought to earth in an unbloody, sacramental manner in the Mass. As Frank Sheed puts it, "The Mass is the breaking through to earth of the offering of Himself that Christ makes continuously in heaven simply by His presence there."

In the Mass Christ offers himself to the Father on our behalf, and we, his people, join ourselves sacramentally to his offering. The Mass is a way of approaching God through Christ's sacrifice, which is made present sacramentally because Christ himself is present.

Nothing in this diminishes Calvary or implies we can approach God other than through the Cross. Rather than taking away from the Cross, the Mass emphasizes it.

4. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Bob, you appear to be the one not focused on the topic.

I presented the liturgy of Mass to show that Catholic's do not believe that Christ is sacrificed over and over again in the Mass.

However, you bring up the magic powers stuff and state
    And no matter how many times we show you what the Church really teaches, you deny it and state it really teaches something different.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The reason that the RCC needs to "Confect God" in the mass is because it is NOT simply remembering a ONCE FOR ALL sacrifice that happened 2000 years ago and then STOPPED all sacrifice and offering.

And that should tell you something.

6. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Bob,

Catholics believe in the Real Presence. Also, those Protestant Denominations that came out during the Reformation also hold to the Real Presence.

Only those who denominations came into being after the Reformation deny the Real Presence in the Eucharist.

To me that says something that for over 1600 years, no one denied the Real Presence. You would think that the early Church Writers would have condemed this idea sooner if it wasn't true.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a false statement and only shows your lack of knowledge concerning Protestant religions and Baptists (of which are not Protestants). Can you point to any of the Protestants that believe in transubstantiation. No, not one. The closest that comes to it is the Lutheran church, which believes in consubstantiation--yet it is still different than the heretical belief of the Catholics. Plain and simple transubstantian (believed by no one but the Catholics) is a heresy.
    DHK

8. mioque

mioque New Member

DHK
    One can believe in a form of Real Presence without going for Transubstantion. The Eastern-Orthodox and Oriental-Orthodox and the already by you mentioned Lutherans also believe in the Real Presence.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The RCC is the only one going for the (magic) powers" of the priest" to "CONFECT GOD"... POWERS that the PRIEST RETAINS even if excommunicated.

Not the ECFS.

Not the Lutherans

Not the Presbyterians

10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depends what you mean by the Real Presence, Bob. Yes, only the Catholics sunscribe to transubstantiation but all the other groups believe in some kind of Eucharistic Presence. Oh, and you forgot the Orthodox too.

Yours in Christ

Matt

11. violet

violet Guest

Don't forget the Anglicans!

12. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

DKH,

Baptist didn't get their start until after the reformation. Check several reliable Baptist historical sources and they all concur. For that matter, true Baptist historians state that JM Carrol's work is faulty and full of heretical groups that he tries to tie the Baptist to in order to come up with some sort of apostolic succession.

Luther believed in the Real Presence. They may have a different terminology of how it happens, but they still believe it to be true.

As well as the other groups that other folks have mentioned.

13. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Living4Him, I was really looking for a simple answer. Is there a belief/practice/axiom of the RCC that requires that mass be said somewhere on earth at all times? And that it matters that it be said, not necessarily attended by a congregation, or the communion taken by anyone but the priest. A well-educated-in-the-faith Catholic once told me that, but I forget the why. Yes or no. And if yes, why.

14. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    And another point. Catholics believe that when you take communion, you "receive Jesus." I have known and grew up with many Catholics who do that, but the rest of the week show no evidence of the regeneration of the Holy Spirit making them a new creation - they live like hell the rest of the time. After all, why not? Make some sort of confession, take communion, and you're good to go. Jesus is not their Lord. They serve the flesh.
    All of this scholarly talk means nothing to the average Catholic in the pew. Actual practice is make your rituals, and the "magic" is worked. The rest of your life is yours. Hanging over their heads, if they choose to think about such things (and many don't), is that if you sin, you need to go make more ritual to take care of it. And there is no assurance of heaven. In fact, I have heard it said that it is presumptuous and sinful to say you know you are going to heaven. So to the AVERAGE Catholic, it is a works-based practice of rituals, with no assurance or peace.

15. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Debby,

I'll see what I can find out specifically about your first question. I had only heard that Mass was said at all times around the world because of the Church being universal, etc.

As a Catholic Christian, we are required by God and our love for God to live the Mass throughout the week. As our Fr. put it, "Joe thought he was safe for attending Church on Sunday, but went to hell for what he did on Monday."

For that matter, I know many "Sunday Christians" and they weren't Catholic but Baptist or some other denomination.

Those who continually live the way they want and believe that they can go to confession for the same sin are making a sacrilege of confession or worse yet, they receive communion in a state of sin and commit an even bigger sacrilege.

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are immorality, uncleanness, licentiousness, idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, jealousies, anger, quarrels, factions, parties, envies, murders, drunkenness, carousings, and suchlike. AND CONCERNING THESE I WARN YOU, AS I HAVE WARNED YOU, THAT THEY WHO DO SUCH THINGS WILL NOT ATTAIN THE KINGDOM OF GOD." Gal 5:19-21

Actually, it is more of enduring in Christ until the end.

"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father in Heaven shall enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 7:21

Rom 11:22, "See, then, the goodness and the severity of GOD: His severity towards those who have fallen, but the goodness of GOD towards you if you abide in His goodness; otherwise you also will be cut off."

"Life eternal indeed he will give to those who by patience in good works seek glory and honor and immortality; but wrath and indignation to those who are contentious, and who do not submit to the truth but assent to iniquity." Rom 2:7-8

"Fear none of those things that you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be you faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life." Rev 2:10

"Him who overcomes I will permit to eat of the tree of life, which is the paradise of my GOD."
    Rev 2:7

"Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
    Matt 7:13-14

16. FLMike

FLMike Guest

Heck, I'm not even following this thread and even I saw that he said "Real Presence", not "transubstantiation".

So consubstantiation is not heresy, but transubstantiation is. The difference, if I understand correctly, is that in the first case Christ is really present but the bread and wine remain, while in the second case Christ is really present and only the appearances of bread and wine remain. So the heresy only comes in because Catholics say the bread and wine disappears? Seems like a flimsy matter for heresy!

17. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Living4Him, I agree with much of what you said. You are not the "average Catholic in the pew." Else you would not be conversing on this board, or be able to quote and expound on so much scripture. And all religions have hypocrites. My point is that in the Catholic church, what comes down to everyday practice and attitude by "average" Catholics, is how I have stated. Most of them never "get" the leap from doing the ritual to making Christ and His Word part of your life. Like water falling off a duck's back, it doesn't "sink in." At least in a Bible preaching non-Catholic church, there is a frequent explanation of this "leap" or "life application" or "assimilation" step. We call it "getting saved" and "becoming born again." Changed by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit. Letting God's power "sink in" and take control. That's "receiving Jesus."

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did not see me say "real presence".

Are you responding to point-A with subject-B again?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So consubstantiation is not heresy, but transubstantiation is. The difference, if I understand correctly, is that in the first case Christ is really present but the bread and wine remain, while in the second case Christ is really present and only the appearances of bread and wine remain. So the heresy only comes in because Catholics say the bread and wine disappears? Seems like a flimsy matter for heresy! </font>[/QUOTE]Here is the Catholic view of Consubstantiation:
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04322a.htm

Real the whole article. Catholics call the Lutheran view of consubstantiation a heresy, and deny that there is any "real presence" of Christ therein.

Christian Courier

Notice the heretical nature of transubstantiation. It boils down to this: If one partakes of the elements during mass, he is cannibalistic.
    Christian Courier

Obviously the Lutherans and others have a much more objective view of consubstantiation than what the Catholic Church paints for them.
    DHK

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have to go by Carrol's work. There are many historians: J.T. Christian, Armitage, and many others; not to mention some of the Catholic historians themselves that admit to the existence of Baptist believing groups from the time of the Apostles onward. I didn't say "Baptists" in the sense that they had to be named "Baptists," but rather those, by whatever name that they were called, held to Baptist disctinctives. That includes the Waldenses who, according to a number of sources, date right back to the times of the Apostles. Some of those sources are Catholic.
    DHK