1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ is, was and will always be sinless. Period!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are beneficial ingredients in grape juice as well as wine. However, grape juice doesn't have the positive circulatory effects that alcohol does.

In the wrong doses, everything is toxic. Arsenic is required by the human body in tiny doses. Consuming arsenic in higher doses is very harmful.

Same with alcohol. Modest doses of alcohol (one drink) has beneficial effects. Multiple drinks over a short period of time has negative effects.

I agree.

You seem to think that alcohol itself is the thing that is evil, not the wrongful use of it. It's like saying that the handgun is evil, not the person who uses it to harm someone else.

2. standingfirminChrist

Do you consider a government source good enough?

3. standingfirminChrist

alcohol does not have positive circulatory effects.

arsenic is required by the human body? that's a new one on me

#43 standingfirminChrist, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  4. standingfirminChrist

“When swallowed, the alcohol is absorbed from the stomach and the small intestine. Absorption will be slowed by the presence
    of food, or can be somewhat speeded if the drink has been chilled or has been aerated with bubbles of carbon dioxide. Less
    concentrated drinks may have their alcohol more rapidly absorbed than stronger ones, so iced champagne drunk on an empty
    stomach can be an effective way of getting alcohol to the brain quickly. After a preliminary pass through the liver, some of the
    alcohol will be reaching the brain within minutes. The blood or brain alcohol level will then slowly increase for the next thirty to
    sixty minutes as the absorption of a single drink is completed. Several drinks taken together or spaced out in a series of drinks will
    result in the alcohol level going upwards longer and higher. But enormous variation in absorption rates can occur between
    individuals and on different occasions.” Edwards, G. (2002) Alcohol, The World’s Favourite Drug. New York: Thomas Dunne
    Books, St. Martin’s Press, pp. 6-7

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Thought better of it...it wasn't an insult or anything, but I figure this thread needs to die from neglect...

Peace.

#45 rbell, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because in the revelation of the NT Scripture given to the apostles we have this:

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

HankD

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

If you read the chapter from the beginning you will see that it is talking about a causing a brother to stumble with what we eat or drink. While I don't drink wine, if I did, I shouldn't do it front of a brother that it might cause to stumble in his faith. If you read the context of the Scripture, it is talking about brothers judging one another in what they eat or drink.

Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
    Rom 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean

You have to read the context of the whole chapeter and it fits perfectly here in this thread. While I don't drink, I find nothing wrong with moderate drinking of wine, but if I did drink, I shouldn't do it in front of a brother that has a problem with a Christian drinking wine or is maybe a recovering alcoholic so as not to make them stumble. You can't just pull that one verse out and use it to say that wine drinking is a sin. It is not. Paul and the Holy Spirit makes that clear.

8. CheeseCrackerKidd

CheeseCrackerKidd New Member

In other words, alcohol makes people stumble and should be avoided. I agree 100%

9. CheeseCrackerKidd

I don't recall the Scripture adding that phrase, 'in front of.'

I do see where Paul said I will not eat while the world standeth...' While the world stands. That is at least another 1000 years from now.

Even so, the passage is not talking about alcohol, for alcohol is forbidden in the believer...as numerous posts in countless threads have shown.

Your statement that you 'find nothing wrong with moderate drinking' has just put a stumbling block in front of someone who may read your post at a later date and think 'Just one drink a day is ok.' That one drink will turn to a lifetime of sorrow and shame and blame before the Father.

#49 CheeseCrackerKidd, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  10. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Ok, I'll take your authority on that. Nuff said.

#50 JerryL, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  11. CheeseCrackerKidd

Doesn't have anything to do with my authority. The Word of God is what said 'I will not' and 'as long as the world standeth.'

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Just more scripture taken out of context. Do you actually think Paul quit eating?

13. CheeseCrackerKidd

No one is offended at eating. Everyone has to eat.

And no, it is not taking Scripture out of context.