1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian College suggestions

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mexdeaf, May 16, 2006.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My son will be of college age soon. We have been considering some schools, but so much has changed in the last few years, and living on the mission field it is hard to keep up.

I am IFB, so would prefer an IFB school. My son is undecided as to what he feels the Lord would have him do so we are more interested in a school with the availability of a liberal arts education more than just a Bible college.

I am a TTU grad, as is our oldest son, but we have seen some things internally that have turned us off on TTU (don't ask me to go into detail). We have been considering PCC, have an in-law who graduated from there. Any other options out there?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Get a degree from secular accredited university so he can make a living should things not work out so well. While he is there get involved with the Navigators. He will get a much better application orientation than almost any Christian school. By being involved with the Navigators he will be surrounded with new Christians and older Christians who are aggressive in discipleship. He will be challenged to live the Christian life amidst the world. Over the years of those who have been involved in the Navigators very few lose sight of their walk with God later in life. Whereas in the church it is very high. It is far less among my friends who I was with in the Navigators than among my friends from seminary.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As BJ is on the accreditation trail, I'll throw it into the mix. Then there is Clearwater. Depending on his interests, Maranatha is a possibility. And add International Baptist College in Tempe, AZ.

I've counseled my nephews and nieces to go to an accredited Bible College for the first year or two. They get to meet folks that will be a blessing to them the rest of their lives. They also are exposed to the various issues of the day. Depending on his ultimate major, the basic classes are the same.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks, guys.

Squire, I likewise have told my kids that they have to go to a Christian college for at least a year. Good suggestions there, I had not thought about Clearwater and Maranatha, and never heard of International until now. We'll check them out.

5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

You might check out Bryan College in Dayton, TN. I is close to TTU, very conservative in its beliefs (many graduates go on to Dallas Theological Seminary) yet offers a well rounded liberal arts education. Bryan offers degrees in Bible, Christian Ed., Business, accounting, science, math, education etc. They have been at the forefront in creation science over the years.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Plus TTU gets to beat them in basketball a couple times a year!! :D [​IMG]

Thanks, Jimmy C!

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many great schools right there in Texas!

8. Brad14

Brad14 New Member

I would recommend PCC, Crown(Tennessee)Ambassador, West Coast Baptist Bible College, or Golden State Baptist Bible College.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Throw me a bone- give us some names! But remember we am looking for primarily IFB colleges with liberal arts offerings.

Thanks!

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks Brad14,

Other than PCC the others are primarily Bible colleges, are they not? We're looking for liberal arts schools.

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

I don't think any fundamental school can touch Bob Jones as far as variety in their liberal arts majors. I would also consider Liberty University. My younger brother went there and had no problem moving on to graduate school at a state university.

12. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mexdeaf,

If your son is already strong in Bible, why not send him to a state university or a private Christian liberal arts university like one of the good SBC schools in Texas?

I am really not trying to start any controversy.

No offense intended. I just know that sometimes a degree from a private Christian IBF school does not prepare one to go out into the "real world" and make a living. I would suggest some way to "make tents" like getting a degree as a (public) school teacher.

All of us who have the least bit of IBF backgound know that deputation work sometimes leaves missionaries short and men have to make a living for their families. One can always teach. But to have a Bible college degree in missions or Bible is hard to make that said living especially where two or three little ones are concerned.

These are just some thoughts of an ex-IFBer who has been out in the real and "cold and cruel world."

Think about it-FWIW!

sdg!

rd

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Rhet,

Appreciate your admonitions. But as much as I would like to think my son is 'strong in Bible', he isn't. I am not ready to throw him to the wolves just yet.

Plus he is unsettled as to what he (or better yet) the Lord) wants him to do in life. Those are the main reasons why I want him to go to a Christian Liberal Arts school.

Bless you, brother- and keep on keeping on!

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Oh, yeah- I would not scream and holler if he went to a good conservative SBC school, but suppose he decides later that it is God's will for him to be a missionary and he applies to an IFB board. Sad as it is to say, the reality is that it would be difficult for him to be accepted and if he were some (although not all, thank God!) IFB pastors would never even consider him for support with that pedigree.

Note- I am NOT slamming SBC!

15. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Pacific Baptist College (Pomona California) is fully accredited Bible College that offers Bachelor of Arts degrees vice Bachelor of Ministry degrees (like many other Bible Colleges).

Bachelor of Arts-Pastoral Studies
    Bachelor of Arts-Missions
    Bachelor of Arts-Church Education and Youth
    Bachelor of Science-Elementary Church Education
    Bachelor of Science-Secondary Church Education
    Associate of Arts-Bible
    Certificate of Bible Proficiency

Next year they are expected to have Bachelor of Arts-Music and over the next couple of years they will be implementing a Masters' Program.

So check them out @ Pacific Baptist College

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, you want IFB, can't help you, got off that sinking ship a long time ago.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Beware of the schools that are not accredited. If the Lord leads your son to teach or do something where graduate school is involved, the lack of accreditation will hinder him.

18. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mexdef,

I understand completely. When we step into one circle we have automatically stepped out of another circle. Many times, we cannot take the step back into the previous circle.

It is that way with most things is life. It is not only that way from going from IFB to SBC; but I am sorry to say it is also somewhat that was in reverse. Prejudice comes in may hues and tints, does it not?

The bottom line is finding out what your son thinks God wants him to do. Better still, finding out at an early age, what God wants him to be in way of character and holiness. When the character comes first the vocation usually comes along in due time.

But, what I don't want him to find out the hard way is this: having to make a living with a "Bible College Degree" when he may (and probably will) have to be bi-vocational somewhere along the route. He really needs a "real world" way to make a living. You and I have both seen over the years "2nd Men" and "missionaries" who have lost their job or deputation and have "been out in the cold" and had to make a living for a wife and kids with no real way to "make tents."

Forwhatitisworth!

sdg!

rd

19. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tomvols, what does an acredited school offer when it comes to serving the Lord that a school that does not seek accreditation offer? Since when did churches research the acreditation of a school if they know that school to be biblical and producing learned and productive members of the Christian community?

I don't want the government in ANY of my schools.
    That's why our church doesn't allow state vouchers for the Christian school students. We believe in seperation of church and state.
    The proper way....

20. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    West Coast is a great school!!! I personally know 3 students there, because they all are members of my church. They have a zeal and a passion for soul winning there.