1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

*Christian* Hard Rock Experiment

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What's POD?
    The music on there is what we called hard rock when I was a teen, and what is on easy listening stations now was considered regular rock. Metal is still what it always was-a bunch of noise. LOL
    And WHY do some of the artists on there sound like they could just as easily be singing Monroe's version of Happy Birthday? :eek:
    Gina

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Now, wait a second, I think you and I are about the same age.

That stuff wouldn't have been considered hard rock at all.

It would probably have been right up there with Huey Lewis and Cyndi Lauper on your average Top 40 or Hot Hits station.

Bill Monroe has a version of "Happy Birthday"? Cool.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Bride's "Kinetic Faith" was one of the best Christian rock albums of that era and they're back together again.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Mike, give me some non-CCM artists you would define as hard rock so we can get on the same page here, lol. Maybe my definitions are messed up?
    Gina

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I went to Allmusic.com to see what they had to say about it and they define hard rock pretty broadly including bands from rock to punk and metal.

Ted Nugent (solo, Amboy Dukes, Damn Yankees, etc)
    Van Halen
    Aerosmith
    MC5
    Sammy Hagar
    Montrose
    Zeppelin
    KISS
    Guns and Roses
    Ozzy
    Zakk Wylde
    B O C
    Deep Purple
    Red Ryder
    etc.

6. dbrits

dbrits New Member

P.O.D. is band. It's an acronym that stands for Payable on Death. They started in the Christian market and they have become one of the most popular bands in mainstream rock. Are they a "Christian band?" Well, that depends on your definition of the term.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina - So somebody actually AGREED with you? How can this be?

Would certainly LOVE to see the "hard evidence" on the effect of music. Of course it IS true, but the world (including me) finds anecdotal testimony and observation less than foundational.

Does ANYONE have a website with credible evidence that can be scientifically verified?

Thanks. I've found this thread quite interesting! :eek:

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MuSICA used to be available until lately. It contains more than 50,000 citations and abstracts from professional journals. These studies focused on music and behavior, including evolution, brain mechanisms, child development, perception, learning, memory, performance, health and related topics.

It is now under the auspices of the International Foundation of Music Research.

Gotta join to view now.

http://12.22.222.84:82/

9. Molly

Molly New Member

Gina,I found your info very interesting...I have daughters,also,and have certainly noticed changes in their behavior,actions,tones,and body language depended on what they are listening to. It does affect them.

We are very careful about such things....

They have become very discerning as a result. I am very pleased with that.

Thanks for your post....

10. Matticus

Matticus New Member

I've seen the same kinda reaction in kids. I think it has to do with their stereotypes of certain styles of music. They think, this is how older kids dance to music that sounds like this. Kids don't usually take the time to listen to the lyrics and think about them. I think it's more a priority to fit in than it is to think for themselves. I don't think that this means that certain styles of music are evil. It means that it takes a certain level of maturity to really know what musicians are intending to get across.

God Bless

Matt

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Gina, here is one of PODS sites. It doesn't look Christian to me. Also, look at the symbol under the drums, beside the singers right leg. Looks like a 666 sign. Hmmm!
    http://www.payableondeath.com/

Also, go here and wait for the site to load. This really looks Christian. [​IMG]
    http://www.payableondeath.com/main.html

Also on this site: 2) Sonny's jump suit from the "Boom" video was placed in a case at the HARD ROCK in Las Vegas this week.

Sounds like idolatry to me.

Psalms 115:4 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. (hint, silver and gold records [​IMG] )

I thought that was it, but I searched further on that site and look at this:

More news from around the globe:
    Album is now PLATINUM-CERTIFIED in Canada!
    Satellite has been certified SILVER in the UK! Gold is next!!!

Album is now GOLD-CERTIFIED in Germany
    Album is GOLD-CERTIFIED in New Zealand
    Album is GOLD-CERTIFIED in Australia
    (and GOLD single “Youth of the Nation”)
    Album is now PLATINUM-CERTIFIED in Indonesia!
    Album is GOLD-CERTIFIED in Ireland!
    Album is GOLD-CERTIFIED in Singapore!
    Album is GOLD-CERTIFIED in Malaysia!
    Album is GOLD-CERTIFIED in Philippines!
    Album is GOLD-CERTIFIED in Sweden!

I also Gina did a test similar to yours. I have posted my test before in the music forum and received the same reactions from CCM lovers. Here was my test.

Me and my son(3 years old) were riding down the road listening to the old hymns. I turned the station and as I was turning(tunning) I came across a rock station and all of a sudden my son starting to bop his head. I turned it to the station I was getting to, which was another old hymn station and he then stopped bopping his head. He is were the test comes in. I turned the station to CCM, listened for 20+ seconds(God was there to help be bare it [​IMG] ) and my son bobbed his head. I then turn it to a rock station and he starting bobbing his head again. I then turn it to the old hymn station and he stops bobbing. I turn it back to the rock station and he starts it again. I turn it to CCM and he continues. To stop him from breaking his neck I had to turn it back to the old hymns. [​IMG] My test results according to the flesh, rock and CCM were no different, the old hymns was obviously calming, worth listening to.

BTW, I heard on the radio recently that some farmers play classical music to the farm animals to calm them down if they are rowdy. I wonder if some of us can learn from that. [​IMG]

12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder what a Web site created by Christians should look like? :rolleyes:

As Jonathan says below, it is indeed the symbol of the Trinity. One of my Bibles (I think published by the Lockman Foundation) had that symbol. :rolleyes:

It looks as "Christian" as most Web sites... :rolleyes:

Sounds like a *collection* to me. Do you seriously think the Hard Rock Cafe customers worship the jump suit? Do you worship your stamp collection? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... I'm sure the psalmist was thinking about music awards... :rolleyes:

They're doing pretty well and they seem excited about their career... So what?

If you are serious about your critique, I think you are seeing things and assuming the worst of them because you don't want to like them - not a very Christian attitude.

If you aren't serious about your critique, I think you should reconsider posting something like this because it is misleading.

DISCLOSURE: I do not care about P.O.D., except that they are honestly evaluated.

[ December 16, 2002, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Baptist Believer ]

13. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Homebound, at first I though you were joking in your post, but after reading it again I think your really serious. Hmmm. First, that symbol next to Sonny's leg is a symbol of the Trinity. http://www.bright.net/~gray0013/symbols/symbols.html
    This web site has different Christian symbols and is pretty cool. It's run by a former youth pastor who I've had the opportunity to meet. Anyway, I have that same Trinity symbol on a necklace that I always wear. Why the Trinity? Because everyone wears a cross whether it means something to them or not. It's because a meaningless symbol. The Trinity OTOH gets questions from people asking me what it is, and I can explain to them what I believe. Pretty cool.
    As for calling Sonny's jump suit going into the Rock and Roll hall of fame idolotry, that's utterly ridiculous. Do you criticize Philadelphia for keeping the Liberty Bell enshrined safely? What about the Louvre for holding the Mona Lisa? How about the Library of Congress for the Declaration of Independence?
    Your criticizing them for going gold and silver!?!?!? :rolleyes: If your going to criticize, please make it on something worth criticizing rather then searching the web for thirty seconds and jumping on them for everything you possibly can.
    I replied to your test in another post, so no reason to rehash the same conversation again, though I'll look for the link and post it. I'd still love to hear a reply from my last post on that thread. [​IMG]

Mike, any ideas where I can find some of Bride's music? I've looked at music stores, Christian book stores, Kazaa, WinMX, Best Buy, I just can't seem to find any.
    As for Audio Adrenaline, I really have been disappointed with Lift, and Underdog only had three songs that I liked, none of them Get Down. Some Kind of Zombie is still one of my favorite CDs, it was probably the first rock CD (Christian or otherwise) I owned.
    Oh, almost forgot. Just to throw a different angle into this, what made the dancing of your girls wrong? Could it be that it ISN'T wrong, it's just been perverted by man for so long that today many Christians see it as evil? So the music really has nothing inherently wrong with it, the dancing really has nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just that due to our culture we associate it with things that are wrong. Just a thought.

God Bless,

~Jonathan

14. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

That symbol is highly used in witchcraft. I'd say kewl, let it be changed and used for something good, or maybe it was good and then changed into a bad meaning, but it doesn't really matter, we're told not to have such symbols. I do think this verse is compatible with those that tell us not to make any graven images. I know, we're not making gods to worship, but the verses seem to have more meanings than one.
    By the way, that group looks just scary! :eek:
    Gina

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I went there and didn't seeanything particularly "unCHristian" about it, nor did I see a "666 sign".

Please elaborate.

Again, what is "unChristian" about it?

So then, by the same logic, to put a Renoir or a Matisse in a museum or to put objects of importance to American history in the Smithsonian is also idolatry?

The RIAA didn't start issuing awards for sales for anther 2800 years.

What? You can't grove to "Just As I Am"? We're all shocked. :rolleyes:

Hymns tend not to have any discernable beat to nod your head to to begin with.

If contemporary music is as harmful and anti-Christ as you guys would have us believe, why would you subject your child to all of that just to satisfy your own curiousity.

18. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Hmm... The boy is 4 years old in the thread you linked here, but in this thread he is 3 years old.

:confused:
    </font>[/QUOTE]I hope you are not calling me a liar. When I made the first post, I was in error, sorry.

[ December 16, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: HomeBound ]

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Hey, Jonathan, http://www.radrocker.com is usually where I go for out of print or hard to find Christian albums.

They have all sorts of good stuff there.

There's another good one that I can't remember. If I do, I'll let you know.

Mike

20. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member