1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Sabbath

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. Heb 4:9

The word here translated "rest" is Sabbateros, or Sabbath. There remains a Sabbath to the people God.

Some argue that this is Sunday, that the Law commanding a Sabbath Day was changed by Jesus from Saturday to Sunday, and now Christians are morally bound to keep the Sabbath Day on Sunday.

Others reject this. I am one who rejects this teaching. I am not a Sabbatarian.

What do you believe the Scripture teaches?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't believe it was changed from Saturday to Sunday, and I also believe it was for the Jews under the Law.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I likewise reject it. Indeed, there is a Sabbath which we are required to observe. But since Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, it's a personal, not necessarily a corporate, observance. As individuals, we should indeed set aside at least one day in seven to rest, and to glorify God (hopefully, though, we are glorifying God every day).

No where in scripture does it say that the sabbath day is the day for formal corporate worship. This is our custom, and practicing that custom certainly does not violate scripture. This is customarily Sunday, but is not scripturally required to be Sunday.

Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Further, Paul says to not allow anyoen to judge you on your keeping of sabbath days.

So, yes, you should keep the Sabbath. But when you keep, it, and how you keep it, is entirely upon the individual.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Sabbath was part of the OT Law, which we are no longer required to keep as it was a shadow of things to come (Col. 2:16-17). We are in Christ, the fulfillment of the Law.

In addition...

Romans 14:5 One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I put the following together for another forum. It's not my original work.

6. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

While I do believe that we should meet on Sunday to worship God, and it may be possible to use the term "Sabbath" in that sense, I think the Sabbath was only for Jews who were under the law.