1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian songwriters

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Michaelt, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good day,

I was curious if any of you that post on here are songwriters? I wrote lyrics for a band I played in some years ago, playing secular music. I've noticed that the few times I've attempted to write christian music, I don't feel it's good enough, so I throw it away.

Anyone get that way?

Just thinking out loud.

2. mesing

mesing New Member

Hey Woody!
    Why would you throw anything away? Some songs take a long time to write. You should always keep them and you may go back to them. I write a little. Also...sometimes songs are more for you than anyone else. You can learn from your own writings.
    Blessings!

3. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

I know how you feel Woody. I never really wrote songs for a secular band but i have been writing christian music for my band and by myself for 4 years. When i started out i thought it was good, looking back at alot of my old stuff now, i realize that it wasn't as good as i thought it was. But seeing my past work and my work now, i can see that i have progressed alot throughout the years. I write every chance i get and everytime something comes to me. You need to do the same. Dont start it and then throw it away. Save what you write and come back to it. You could find ways to change what you write to make it even better and you could also not like it right away and then love it later. Who knows.

The whole point im saying is, is that i wasn't very good at first but i got better and better after the first great song i ever wrote and you will too. so dont give up

Your brother in Christ
    Guitar25

4. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I wonder how many songs that have been recorded became hits were almost thrown away because the writer thought it wasn't good enough?
    Just my thoughts

5. CubeX

CubeX New Member

You will always be your hardest critic! Always keep what you have and go back to it later. I write all the time, it's part of my job. :D The best thing to do is to sit write down every little ine that may come to you at that very moment. If you wait, it's too late. And just keep trying to write Christian songs. It was hard for me to change at first. But I did it! A lot of what I wrote was all based on emotions. It didn't curse, because I didn't believe in it; it didn't talk about violence or sex, because I find them repulsive to sing about; but they were simply how I felt and what made me mad, sad, or happy.

Learn to utilyze those emotions in expressing how you feel about God, about issues surrounding God (look at my post below this in the forum), etc. Just pour out your heart and GOd will direct you, even if you don't know He is! [​IMG]

-David