1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christianity and how the bible was put together

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You said the Hellenists weren't Jews.

Please clarify then - which churches had all 27 books by the end of the 1st century: all, some (which ones in that case; where were they) or none?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Not sure that was what I said. To quote myself: They were "Hellenistic" which mean Grecian. They may have been of Jewish descent or they may have been proselytes, or both.

I don't think there is anyway to know which churches had which books. They were all available somewhere because they had all been written. But we simply cannot know who had what.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am asking questions trying to find out the truth of things. I do not believe that you're answers sufficiently answered the questions. Self evident to Paul yes 2000 years ago not to us now. I was speaking once with an Orthodox priest about some issue regarding a problem I came accross. His answer was well that was handled. What kind of answer was that? Handled when and how? Obvioiusly on the issue we were discussing you and I would disagree that it was handled. That is why when someone doesn't know you explain it to them. You don't just say you don't know. Obvioiusly on what is included ornot in canon isn't decided because the RCC the Othodox the Copts the Protestants all have differeing views I can see their reasoning. I can't see yours from a historical perspective. Evidence favors them not you. So said you've provided evidence. What evidence is that? What hard evidence do you have? The way I see it is that Protestants only decided recently (from historical perspective) that they would go with the 22 rather than the entire LXX. Strangely enough protestants kept the DC in the bible until the 1800's. (though it may have not been canon in their perspective) I don't understand. explain it to me.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Posted twice sorry.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Which is great and no problem.

But how qualified are you to assess that? (I don't mean that prejudicially, but simply to get you to think about whether or not you are sufficiently informed to decide whether an answer is sufficient).

I have explained it, as well as pointed out flaws in your argument.

I don't think the evidence that favors them.

The testimony and example of the Scriptures themselves, and the historical evidence of the Church.

Seriously, think about this: Jesus would have had the DC. Yet he continually refers to the "Law and the Prophets" not the "Law and the Prophets and the DC." Isn't that striking? When the Lord himself doesn't testify to the status of the DC as canonical, that should settle it particularly since he did testify to others.

The RCC, Orthodox, and others have serious departures from Scripture and the reason is that if they hold to an orthodox view of Scripture, much of their teaching has no basis. So we have to take a more serious look at the Scripture itself.

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

OK, let's throw a negative argument in, just for a bit of fun: if the DCs were not regarded as inspired by Jesus and the NT writers, you would have thought, given that the LXX was the most widespread version of the OT, that one of them at least would have said at some point, "Oh, and by the way, guys, you know those bits of the LXX that are after the end of Malachi, the extra bits of Daniel and Esther and one or two books of the wisdom literature, well, they're not really Scripture." BUt no-one does.

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No.

First of all the Law and the Prophets do not necissarily exclude the DC. In fact, at that time the DC were part of the Alexandrian translation. So since they did not have that distinction at that time it would have all been the Alexandrian translation of the scriptures. Yet also note that there are scrolls at Qumran that are from selections out of the DC. You would have to show that what Jesus meant by Law and Prophets. Did Jesus use the LXX ? LXX was commonly used at that time. But then again Jesus was in Judea and was a Jew. Jesus spoke Aramaic as well as Greek and Hebrew. The Qumran find indicates that they had texts found in the DC. So you would have to show what Jesus was refering to necissarily excluded text that we've later dubed DC.

Which is what I'm doing.

As far as an authority. Admittedly I'm not. Are you do you stand by your own arguement? I'm curious.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Really? No one does? You know everything that was said and taught to those Christians? Where did you come across this information? Adn why not make it available to the rest of us?

Of course I speak facetiously, becasue as you know you have know idea that that wasn't said. What we have is teh consistent testimony of the Scriptures that the DC was not accepted as the Holy Scripture.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have never seen anyone include the DC in the Law and the Prophets. Have you?

What distinction? The Law/Prophet distinction was well known.

We show this by looking at how the term was used.

I wish we could dispense with this argument because it contributes nothing. It is entirely possible the the LXX was used, and almost certian that it was in some cases, though not certain in other cases. However, it is a long reach from there to the inclusions of the DC in the canon.

I think I have, but why do I have to? Why don't you since you are departing from the historical position of the gospel church?

Which argument?

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Show it to me that it was well known to have only included the 39 books please.

How is it a long reach?
    Prove this. This is what I'm trying to get at. The historical position of the church. They didn't have the Roanoke Baptist gospel church back then. The Gospel church (the church that taught the the good news) seems to have used the DC's. The orthodox/traditional churches of the world all claim that it was inspired and they can point to its use in the NT and the earliest christian writing as proof. Is there a church council that I don't know of that says the DC are not canon? I don't know enlighten me please. Is There a statement in the NT the excludes the DC as inspired if so please show me.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It was this arguement I was referring to.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pastor Larry,

I do thank you for your patients with me as I review these things. I'm also review a book called "the right doctrine from the wrong texts" Which is a compilation of different essays on the matter. However, I'm looking at these matters from this perspective so you can better understand what I am saying. Astro physics can determine that billions of miles away that a planet exist around a star based on two primary reasons. 1) the wobble of the star shows a gravetational pull that is indicative of a planet orbiting that star and 2) a dimming of the light from that star for a short period of time also indicative of a planet orbiting that star because as it passes in front of the star the light would necissarily decrease. This is how I'm viewing the DC and their use in the early church and why I'm having a problem with your explination.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What are you willing to accept as proof?

Because saying that someone uses a particular translation of Scripture does not mean that they believe everything in that volume is Scripture. We see that so evident in other areas but yet we deny it in this one and that makes no sense.

But again, what kind of proof are you willing to accept?

As proof of what though? And are you willing to apply that same standard to other things used in the NT and earliest Christian writings (and OT)?

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Nowhere in the NT. I find that telling.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

As for authority, I am not one. I am a student of particularly the OT, and I realize that in this forum and with my time commitments, I can't give as full an answer as might be convincing to you. There are many good sources that address the various issues of canonicity.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

But some how you don't find it telling that nowhere in the NT are we told to believe the DC is canonical. Furthermore (to draw on another conversation), you don't find the words of the Bible compelling to belief anyway. So what do you find telling?

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Where have I said that I don't find the Bible compelling to belief? Surely you can't be confusing my saying that I don't necessarily accept that the Bible has to be literally interpreted, every word, with not finding it compelling to belief - I credit you with more intelligence than that!

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    where?

yes. Though I'm not sure what standard you are speaking of.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

We recognize in our own Bibles that the inclusion of study notes and the like does not testify for their inclusion in the canon. We recognize that the existence of commentaries that quote Scripture and make comments does not mean that the comments are a part of Scripture. Yet some are hesitant to recognize that while the DC provide historical data, they are not a part of Scripture.

One of your arguments is that the DC are cited in the NT and that gives evidence of their canonicity. Yet poets and philosophers are also quoted, and I don't think you affirm the sources of those quotes as canonical. So it seems like you have a double standard. You can't argue that something is quoted and therefore the source is canonical for the DC and not argue it for other things.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You said that the fact that God said he created the universe in six days does not compel you to believe that he created it in six days. Science aside (which is completely consistent with the biblical statements), it is a theological error on your part.

Being "literal" has nothing to do with it. I credit you with more intelligence than that.