1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and the beach

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gerald285, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I blame all the immodesty on global warming. So lets stop the bickering about how to dress and stop driving those SUVs and all will be solved. The colder it gets the more clothes you wear.
    As far as the lust factor goes, men must renew the mind by the study of God's Word. To all the ladies out there that fantasize (isn't it funny that when a woman lusts its fantasizing?) you must also renew your mind with the study of God's Word. You can add layer upon layer of clothing and you'll never stop the lustful heart. But a colder environment might help.
    Just out of curiosity I wonder what an Eskimo might have to contribute to this thread? Hmmmmmmmmm.
    Well hey they are blaming everything else one global warming.:type:

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I recall a documentary that showed that there was a parallel between sunspots and skirt length. The more sunspots, the shorter the skirts. The point in the show was that apparent correlation between two things does not show causality, but I always thought the idea that sunspots dictate skirt length was funny. Ever since I saw that show (at least 20 years ago) I've blamed virtually everything on sunspots.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Here's the solution Gerold, get a thermostat that is password protected for your church. In summer set it to about 48 degrees ferinheight. In the winter remove the heating strips and the colder your church---------------.
    Just trying to help.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Never thought of it in that way but it works for me.:laugh:

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I live just 30 min from the beach on the east coast of Florida and have only taken my family to it twice in 24 years. The shark attacks are scary enough, let alone the two legged land variety that does not cover up.:eek:

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Well maybe the :eek: smiley wasn't a good choise.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eighty-six posts and still no sign of Gerald. Were all the rolling pins and fryin' pans too much for him?

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surfing and Such

I do not like the list either.

Many of us still seem to be making light of a serious situation. Let us try these paradigms: "whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Also: "abstain from all appearance of evil."

Some one said a clean heart= a clean mind. Not so. The spirit is born again. The body is still corrupted and must be kept under subjection. The mind is not born again--it must be renewed daily--in the Word.

Selah,

Bro. James

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the serious situation to which you refer? The fact that Christians are going to the beach in bathing suits? Or the fact that the Christian ladies on this board don't like a long list of do's and don'ts being posted for their benefit?

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

There is good reason for me to not have gone to the beaches of northern FL. more than twice in 24 years. The nakedness was not something that I wanted my daughter to get used to. I have not had to have many discussions with her about how to dress. Her mother and I have always dressed modestly even in our own home. It is there were modesty starts and if Christian homes have forgotten that teaching is not just talking but by example in the home then all of society is lost.
    I do take it very seriously.

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

There are more verses in God's Word that admonish men to keep their hearts and eyes pure then there are that tell women to dress modestly. These are just a few.
    Proverbs 4:23-27
    23Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. 24Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee. 25Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. 26Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. 27Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
    This is the thoughts of a very wise man and when it came to women he failed miserably. So I as a man need all of the help I can get to walk according to God's Holy Word. I am a fallen being, shaped in iniquity and if a few more clothes help me to keep my eyes straight then Ladies I need all the help I can get and God knows it.
    Please do your part.

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I agree, if someone knows that a certain article of clothing is going to make someone lust then they are to blame as much as the person that lusts after that person. I'm not justifying lust, nor should anyone try to justify what they are wearing.

13. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Well, I liked the original post personally. I didnt really see legalism in it. Really, all I saw were some helpful suggestions to make sure that modesty happened.

There's no doubt that men are responsible for their eyes, but come on.. THere is also no doubt that women, even Christian women have a problem with modesty nowadays.

I think its a problem that should be addressed.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just FTR, why do you say or assume most Christians are overweight?? I'm not particularly ashamed of my body, either, but I somehow doubt I'll ever be mistaken for Charles Atlas. (Did I just 'date' myself?) And I am definitely overweight, but I do not automatically assume most other Christians are.

Also FTR, if I were to go swimming, I'd probably drown.

And my bride [​IMG] musta' caught the eye of an "old dude", as I was 50, (which ain't 'zackly a 'young man' to most, except the Biblical partiarchs before the flood) when we married and she was 37. First marriage for both of us.

BTW, welcome to the Baptist Board. [​IMG]

Get 'hooked' enough on it, and you might even pass on a few meals. That'll take care of a couple of pounds, anyway. :thumbs: :laugh:

Ed

#94 EdSutton, Nov 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

From whence, could anyone possibly get the "for their benefit" bit? The best I got from the early posts akin to the OP was "If you don't do it MY way, then you are not really spiritual!" Plus, you are causing me to sin. "

Of course, no one was willing to actually, flatly say what they were implying, there, namely. "I may sin, but it's your fault!"

Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No "legalism"? Let's see.

Purse straps?

Writing on shirts?

High heels?

A man telling women what "they" should be doing? (Or was that just a cross-dresser, hiding?) "He" did say he heeded to check his skirt, dresses and bras, if I remember!

C'mon!

And as another said, Both women and men wore robes, in the days when the Bible was written. (Did you ever see pictures of Henry VIII, and Sir Walter Raleigh wearing "heavy duty underwear" for the outer garments? Or Scotsmen wearing dresses? I didn't see any suggestion that we should dress as they did, either 2000 years ago, or even 400 years ago.

Ed

#96 EdSutton, Nov 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  17. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

:applause: Yay Emilyyyy! We've got four of us now :applause:

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, I did detect a certain air, here.

But the aroma was definitely NOT Pine-Sol®.

Ed

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

BTW, not much activity on the public beaches this AM, around here in Central KY, again. In fact, I didn't see one single person out sunbathing on the beach!

Could it be because the temperature was 23*F, ya' think??

Ed

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

At least this thread has given me a couple of chuckles, between the 'annoyed' moments it has inspired.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.