1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and the beach

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gerald285, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with those who say that women are not to be taught by men who are not their husbands or pastors. It's just not Scriptural and this would be exactly why.

2. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Well, I didnt really take it that I had to do all of the things the OP suggested or I was not being a Godly woman or causing him to sin.

I was also thinking about the fact that it is quite interesting that Jesus was saying what he said back when women were covered from head to toe, and that it was addressed to the men. Lust is obviously a very serious problem for men, and I think women ought to be doing their parts to make sure they arent making it more difficult on them. Its not my fault if they sin if I am doing my part to make sure that I am modestly dressed and not acting in an unseemly fashion, but I still think that I do take some responsibility if I decide that I feel like modesty isnt important, or that the worlds standards for modesty are just fine, which is essentially what has happened. Personally, I look for guidelines in things, and not rules, though rules CAN be helpful as long as we arent ruled by them. As a "rule", I dont wear skirts that go above my knees.

I also dont think that the OP was talking to the ladies who already do check themselves. There are ladies however who need some help in this area. My church doesnt seem to be a problem very much, but I have been to churches where the amount of skin was disturbing, and somebody needs to say something.

I very much agree that it is the duty of the older ladies to teach the younger ones this. However, this is baptistboard, not church, and we talk about many different topics here. Why not this?

3. Joe

Joe New Member

This is not scriptural

#103 Joe, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  4. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

I also think men ought to dress modestly of course, but they just dont seem to have the problem that women seem to.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Women are always telling me they want to see less of me. I have the feeling it doesn't have anything to do with lust or temptation, though. ;)

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and what problem would that be? :saint:

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the OP wasn't addressing those of us who do dress modestly, than he's just preaching to the choir and the post was written to cause argument, not edification.

Yes, some churches have young believers who are unaware that their dress could cause lust. In those cases, it is up to us ladies older in the faith to model modest dress and take those gals under our wing and mentor them. It is NOT up to other men to graphically list a bunch of do's and don'ts. There is such a thing as discreetly teaching without being offensive.

Why not talk about modesty on the BB? Because inevitably, our definitions of modesty will be different.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

9. Joe

Joe New Member

I think it means women have more body parts which need covering

#109 Joe, Nov 25, 2007
  10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the offense. That it was graphic and turned women into sum of their body parts. I don't enjoy reading someone else's writings about women's breasts, private areas, bra, and panties.

Can you imagine if a woman on the BB wrote a list of do's and don'ts for men and chastised them for their "tight Sunday blue jeans" (which they do wear by the way and it's very distracting!) Can you imagine one of us making a graphic check list for men describing how they should look in their mirror to make sure that their pants aren't too snug anywhere or how to make sure that their t-shirts aren't too tight and don't have anything written on them and that their button up shirts are buttoned securely and don't gap open anywhere from the side or when they sit down or what type of underwear is appropriate and how to make sure that women don't see you underwear and how to make sure that women can see any underwear "lines" through their pants.

It would be sheer lunacy for a woman to write such an essay and post it on the Baptist Board. AND it would taken down immediately by moderators for its inappropriate content.

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's like this: If I found out someone (another man) was tempted by a specific atricle of clothing I wore, I'd be very careful not to cause a stumbling block for my brother in Christ.

On the other hand, if another man tries to shove a bunch of personal legalistic rules down my throat, my claws are going to come out every time.

Sorry Joe, but it's impossible for me to dress according to EVERYONE else's "standards." That's why I am glad I only have to answer to my own husband. What is not scriptural about that attitude? Please explain your comment.

12. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Actually, I meant that men have fewer clothing choices that are revealing.

abc, how do you know that there arent women on here who may have not realized that problem until they read it on here? I dont think he was preaching to the choir. I think he was coming up with a topic to talk about...and I see it as a really big problem nowadays.

You are offended that he wrote a list. Its funny, because as a woman concerned with modesty, I didnt really see a list of dos and donts the way that you did. I see helpful suggestions.. guidelines.. things we may have not thought about.

Its okay to not agree with everything on the list, and I dont think that the OP would say any different, but what I do not get is why any post that lists good ideas is automatically shot down as legalistic. It would be legalistic to apply these guidelines without the right heart, sure.

Maybe the OP is just a guy like many guys who happens to struggle in this area and thought maybe here would be a safe place to list those things that would be helpful to him.

My own extremely faithful husband tells me that sometimes it can be a real struggle when flesh is flashing around everywhere, on every billboard and every advertisement flier, and one place men shouldnt be having to struggle is in church. Modesty, along with some guidelines is a very appropriate topic.

Yes older ladies!!! Tell the younger ones!! That would be great. Its my own experience in churches though, that our communication has been so broken down and everything (Sunday school and church) has been so age segregated that this just doesnt happen anymore. It should! But it just doesnt much.

I see nothing wrong with the topic at all.

#112 Emily25069, Nov 25, 2007
  13. Joe

Joe New Member

What? :eek: From what I know, I didn't say that, nor do I mean that.
    I like you :)

#113 Joe, Nov 25, 2007
  14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Hey Joe,
    Do you wear bicycle shorts when you cycle?

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You right. There is nothing wrong with the topic.

There is something wrong with the original post. It's graphic.

I just went back and read it again, trying by best to see any benign "informational" words that would be worthy of a discussion in mixed company.

The topic of modesty is alright for mixed company. That original post is NOT for mixed company.

It doesn't talk about covering yourself up. It's discussion the exposure of women's breasts, areolas, and genitals. That is not a topic for mixed company. Especially men and women who are not married to each other.

Go back and look at the wording. I can see where a man reading this list that is for a woman only could visual a woman scantily dressed in this fashion especially where it describes visual body parts and be aroused just in thinking about it.

I cannot tell you how many times that I have participated in truly benign discussions about the church helping the homosexuals and transgendered people and it, without fail, ALWAYS gets shipped off to the men's private forum.

This original post, which was copied and pasted by the way, should be sent to the WOMEN'S private forum.

And any moderator here worth their salt would do so.

Take a good look at the graphic discussions of that original post again.

It isn't the topic, it's graphic nature of the post.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Yes, I wear them every time

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Hey Joe,
    Do you wear bicycle shorts when you cycle?

18. Joe

Joe New Member

Yes, I wear them when riding ( give me a sec to answer :thumbs: )

19. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have re-read the original post and find myself agreeing with you....not that you need my approval:smilewinkgrin:

peace to you:praying:

20. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Have you considered such a fashion accentuates your body and you might be causing a weaker brother with an ongoing struggle in the area of homosexuality to stumble? Hmmmmmmmmm? Time to put on baggy pants, possibly male culottes.:applause:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.