1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians are jerks online.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jaigner, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Exactlyl Thank God for Mercy!!!

2. targus

targus New Member

I wouldn't really consider giving a waitress two or three bucks to be much of an act of mercy.

How many of those who consider themselves to be big tippers regularly give the same to a panhandler on the street?

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have given someone twenty dollars who was begging with kids and had nothing left in my wallet. Your perception of the average giver does not make it so.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Everyone seems to like to get into micro arguments and technical details. Maybe we should be asking ourselves, why is the mentality out there in the first place that a crew of waitresses or waiters has fights over who has to work the Sunday crowd. That is a pathetic witness.

It seems that those on this board who depend on the gifts of others for an income would understand more than most, than say a factory worker. For those who continue with the obnoxious attitude during the noon Sunday out to eat gathering, and you think nothing weird is being done to your food before you take a bite, think again. Every watiress or waither has their limits.

5. targus

targus New Member

On what do you base your assumption about my "perception of the average giver"?

I was merely expressing my opinion that leaving a tip for a waitress is hardly and act of mercy.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not.

It's a business transaction. You're rewarding them for the quality of services rendered.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That's an issue.

Grace is perfectly applicable and appropriate in a business transaction. If grace doesn't permeate and overflow in every aspect of life, there is some sort of compartmentalizing going on that prevents its natural path.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That is what you do. And it is wrong. You are supposed to compensate them for services rendered. The quality of service may help the amount of compensation, but the industry standard is that they receive their wage directly from the customer. The establishment owner provides a small cushion of far less that minimum wage to help protect servers from folks like yourself. That is why the industry is allowed to pay far less than minimum wage by law.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a very good post on the standard we should use.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course grace should enter into the equation, especially as Christians. You are exactly right. I have to wonder how many pot bellied pastors sit and complain every Sunday about leaving a tip, in between shoveling in the food, as their guts go past 300 and approach 400 pounds.

11. targus

targus New Member

True, however in my opinion a $2 or $3 tip - or a tip of 10% or 15% or even 20% is not grace - it is a matter of fairness - of payment for services rendered.

I was in a small deli restuarant and saw a little Amish boy - about ten years old - clear his family's table of dishes and take them to the busser's station himself - with the approval of his father - and a warm smile and a hug from the waitress. And the father still left a tip.

The actions of that little boy was an example of grace.

#71 targus, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
  12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Very good post, and I agee 100%. If everyone thought as you do, then the reputation that the after church Sunday crowd has built would not exist. To tell you the truth, I was not even aware of the phenomenon until my daughter went to work at a Chinese restaurant in college.