1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians not much different than unbelievers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TaterTot, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in the very least.

We should teach the principles of not conforming to the world rather than making up specific standards to our own taste then claiming they're biblical.

You want the biblical standard? All the men wore dress like apparel.

You want the biblical principle? Consciously seek to send the right message with your appearance. Women should dress modestly and in a way that demonstrates godly submission. Men should appear in a way that brings glory to God rather than himself. 1 Cor 11

It is the attitude and the action. We are not to be legalists (judaizers) nor are we to add our opinions to the text of the Bible then foist them as "God's commands" on other people.

I will be as dogmatic as anyone on things I believe the Bible clearly declares... However, I won't be dogmatic on the application of many principles since they do have a cultural element- like head coverings for instance.

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Oops, sorry, Shannon. I'll make a mental note!

3. shannonL

shannonL New Member

bapmom,

I like you just fine. You share your differences in a mature way when you discuss matters at least as much as I have read. Often times I agree with some of your thinking.
    I don't dislike Shiloh. I highly dislike his definition of fundamentalism along with how he chooses to address people on this board. WE all get a little heated from time to time but that dude never offers encouragement,never is willing to listen etc.... He has to prop himself up by putting others down. Show me in Bible where defending the truth means your supposed to talk to people like they don't have enough sense to come out of the rain.After being in ministry for 30yrs as he claims it seems to me he would be able to demonstrate a little more grace in his posts.

4. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Tater, I think the book is "Surprising Insights from the Unchurched and Proven Ways to Reach Them". I've read it, and it's really a great book about how people who do not go to church look at those of us who do. Very eye-opening. Hope you're enjoying it!

CJ