1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians Under the Influence of Another Spirit

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The apostle Paul went to great lengths to warn the Corinthians not to be deceived by a "Jesus" that wasn't Jesus Christ the Son of God, a spirit that wasn't the Holy Spirit and a gospel that was not the true biblical Gospel (2 Corinthians 11:4). Throughout the New Testament, believers are continually warned not to be deceived by spiritual teachings and experiences that are not from God. Jesus Christ specifically warned his disciples that spiritual deception would be a sign of the end (Matthew 24:3-4).

Today it is very sad to see so many believers falling under the influence of the same spirit that influenced me when I was in the "new age." This spirit says that it is a time for "breakthroughs" and for the fulfillment of our "destiny"; that there is something "new" and exciting in the wind. This teaching claims that we are in the midst of a great "transition" that will result in a "paradigm shift," and that through "new revelation" and "personal experience" God is in the process of taking the church to a "new dimension" and to a whole "new level." Many Christian leaders these days are so sure that what they are hearing and experiencing is from God, they are rarely testing the spirits, or even considering the possibility that they are being deceived............

More Here

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember back in the late 70's, I was into "self-help" & "self-improvement"! Read many, many books on these general areas, & while there was some truth ( is there not always - just enough to make you comfortable with it) in the concepts, there was much open to question. That is if you had ANY background in the scriptures at all. Otherwise the platitudes were so lofty & high, that you would just accept them as reality - rather than lies from the pit of hell!!!!

There was always a minute thread of "question" however, and one day I read something that nailed it for me.

This particular book was leading you to believe that there was a "better, stronger, more spiritual aspect to your nature ( all well & good so far) and the apex of your development was the point when you would finally realize --drum roll-- "I AM GOD"!

At this point i gathered all the books I had of this genre' and fed the log fire. I was so appalled by such a blasphemy that I didn't even want to give them away, but simply to destroy them.

Unfortunately, this same movement is alive & well as is evidenced by many of the posts on this board by those who obviously just repeat what they hear/read in their quest for knowledge/self improvement/more spirituality etc., etc., ad infinitum. This is, IMNSHO, why you see so little common sense (spiritual, political, moral --) displayed in many of the posts here.:tear::tear:

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think he's basically referring to universalism and pantheism. By one name or another these false beliefs have been around for a long time. They're not new and they're no more the true gospel than they were 1,000 years ago.

I really don't see a lot of this evidenced on the BB. Could you provide some examples?

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There are too many people with this old "I'm OK, you're OK" philosophy. They spout, "God loves everyone! Just do the best you can, and God will understand." While it's true that God DOES love everyone (which is why He sent His Son to "seek and to save the lost"), he is NOT going to let anyone into heaven who is not repentant.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Yep, I would have burned them too. :type:

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A very good book on the subject is Unmasking The New Age by Douglas R. Groothuis
    When I read the book I realized how much of that was all around me.

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

There are many non-Christians in America. In fact the Bible says:

Mat 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You could add to that Mt. 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'