1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas movies

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Nov 29, 2007.

?
  1. It's a Wonderful Life

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Miracle on 34th street (old)

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Miracle on 34th street (New)

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Christmas Story

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. The Santa Clause (any)

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  6. Christmas Vacation

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Elf

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. That Arnold Christmas movie

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. None of the Above

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

It depends on the movie.
    Are they promoting extra marital sexual behavior?
    On the one hand, you can take that too far I think. But on the other hand, you are right in that philosophy in movies is important.

For instance, I would much rather watch a movie with a little bit of foul language in it than to watch something like the new Shaggy Dog movie with Tim Allan which promotes humanism, feminism and degrades the family.

I guess you could say that I am more concerned with subtle philosophy than if the actors kiss at the end of the program.

2. PK

PK New Member

Have you ever read what the % of poison is in "rat poison"? .00001%. But the rest of the movie is good....
    That probably what the rat thought as well.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Do you go to church?
    What if a pastors sermon contains .01 % doctrinal error?
    The Bible doesn't give a list of good and mad movies.
    Each man has to take Biblical principle and decide on a case by case basis for himself.
    As for me, I don't watch very many.

It is a pretty trashy industry.
    But I am not going to judge someone else because they watch a movie that is not 100% Biblical.

4. PK

PK New Member

It's interesting that you would use two seperate issues to try and make your piont.

#1. God has given me the authority as the head of home to make sure that my pastor is correct in his docrine. If he were not doctrinally correct I would not be at this church. I think where men tend to get off doctrinally is by reading other books than the Bible.
    #2. God commands his children to be separate from the world. No Judging implied. Partial obedience is still disobedience for me.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am not sure who your pastor is but I gurantee you that he is not 100% doctrinally correct.

For instance, do you hold to the regulative principle of worship or normative?

6. PK

PK New Member

Is this something out of your London Baptist Confession too? To be honest with you I don't know what these man made terms mean?

Better question, "Biblical or non-Biblical worship"?

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The LBC is certainly not "mine" And no, this term as far as I know did not originate there.

As for the terms, well, we both believe in Biblical worship. The question is what is Biblical worship?

The regulative principle states that only those elements which are proscribed in the Bible are to be used.
    The Normative principle says that we can do anything in public worship that is not prohibited in the Bible.

There is a lot of room for discussion on the details here but believe that you have to take one approach or the other.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Do you believe in the trinity?
    That is a man made word.

There are many man made terms to describe a Biblical truth.
    Some are doctrinally sound, others are not.

9. tenor

tenor New Member

Charlie Brown Christmas , any version of A Christmas Carol (most notable Mr. MaGoo and the one with Patrick Stewart, also the relatively new musical version with Kelsey Grammer), also most of the ones in the list - actually despise the 2 newer versions of Miracle on 34th Street (most is the better of the two new ones)

Who else is an "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" MUST be in black and white?

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Um....me? :saint: lol

#30 Joe, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  11. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree. Something is not functioning right deep in our souls when we can openly admit to watching a woman stripping half naked and not feel the least bit convicted over it.

Worse is the scene with a 10 yr old boy and his Father, getting their sexual jollies together looking up a grown woman's skirt. Imo, it's too close to child molestation for me and nullifies any humor it could have offered :tear: