1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Denied into Local SBC Association

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ruiz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Tom,

Three simple points.

1. Where in the BF&M does it forbid Elder Rule?
    2. What about those who have Elders and who are Congregational (like Capitol Hill Baptist Church)? Would this fit into your scenario?
    3. Would you have forbidden Spurgeon from joining an Association.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me say, i am merely trying to make a suggestion as to other reasons why. Since we honestly don't know

1. Here's what the BF&M says
    I think the highlighted parts means congregational rule and that, usually means that at least the pastor and buying/selling property has to be voted on by the congregation.

2. I don't know much about Capitol Hill BC other than the fact that they are a great church and have a real ministry in my old hometown. Capitol hill has a mixture of congregational and elder rule. I would imagine that if Brother Dever left, the congregation would choose their next lead pastor.

3. I don't know and really have no interest in how Spurgeon's church was ruled. I am not saying that because it's unimportant, but he has long since gone to heaven. I don't really look at how other churches are governed. I have never really studied how Metropolitan was set up.

To be honest, there are almost NO churches that are entirely congregational ruled. FBC, Osprey doesn't vote on every expenditure and every part of the church ministry. We have empowered teams and ministry leaders to make those decisions. But the congregation CAN choose to change, amend or do away with any decision that is made. There is congregational oversight.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Is the church overly aggressive in their reformed stance? Are they joining with the "Founder's" mentality of changing the association to being reformed? These are questioned that need to be answered. If they are an overly aggressive church or big time into the Founder's organization I can see why they were rejected. If so, I would vote "no" too.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

When you say reformed, do you mean that they are calvinist in soyierology, or buy into covenant theology/Church replace isreal/Infant baptism etc?

IF reformed in that sense, would NOT be really baptist!

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Sag, I think much regarding this should be answered. Truly, only those closely associated with the situation know all the facts. If this was simply "political agendas" at work, then I believe the decision to be a rash one. If there is some "history" at work, then they may have felt denying access to the association was the proper thing to do. In my view, much rides on the "why" and "what purpose" this church is requesting membership. If their desire is to attempt to "push" the positions of the association to more closely reflect their own, then I too would vote to deny access. If motives are purely for the fellowship and support of other churches and "brothers in Christ", then I would say yes.

6. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I didn't know it had the democratic language. That is completely unBiblical and is extremely dangerous. Democracy is not Biblical and unwise.

On that, this was not the issue.

7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

They don't believe in infant Baptism. Do they hold to Covenant Theology, I don't know. For the record, historically Baptists were covenental for the vast majority of our history and our major Confessions resembled this theology. I know of no person who holds to replacement theology, that is usually a straw man labelled at Covenant Theology.

8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I know many people in the Founder's Movement, their goal is not to take over associations. This has been an attack labelled onto this group. Tom Ascol, for instance, is not trying to make his association reformed, he though does not hide his belief.

Can you name me a major Founder's Church that is overly aggressive in the manner you mentioned?

9. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the Founders are not trying to take over ass'ns. They believe that calvinism is Biblical, so they are going to support it. But trying to take it over, I don't think so. I am not a friend of Tom Ascol although we do know each other. The only time he has ever spoken with me about Calvinism is when I ask him about it.

10. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree about democracy not being the Biblical model altho I do believe that congregationalism is.

If that is not the issue, and I believe you, then, altho they had the right to refuse them, it wasn't right.

My problem is that we really do not have many facts about it at all.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Real SBC Founder W. B. Johnson (first president of the SBC), The Gospel Developed Through the Government and Order of the Churches of Jesus Christ (1846):

12. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

It is still unBiblical. There is no sense in which democracy was the government of the church. A case for congregationalism can be made, but there is no evidence of democracy.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but when an organization states that they want to move churches back to their supposed calvinist roots I take that as meaning that they want the SBC to be reformed which would include associations.

Founders Ministries is a ministry of teaching and encouragement promoting both doctrine and devotion expressed in the Doctrines of Grace and their experiential application to the local church, particularly in the areas of worship and witness. Founders Ministries takes as its theological framework the first recognized confession of faith that Southern Baptists produced, The Abstract of Principles. We desire to encourage the return to and promulgation of the biblical gospel that our Southern Baptist forefathers held dear.

Our Purpose
    The purpose of Founders Ministries is the recovery of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ in the reformation of local churches. We believe intrinsic to this recovery is the promotion of the Doctrines of Grace in their experiential application to the local church particularly in the areas of worship and witness. This is to be accomplished through a variety of means focusing on conferences and including publication, education, pastoral training and other opportunities consistent with the purpose. Each of the ministries will be developed with special attention to achieve a healthy integration of doctrine and devotion.

#33 sag38, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
  14. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Sag,

This is not a take over in the sense of a dramatic takeover using political means. That is not the purpose of Reformed Baptists. Rather, they do hope that they can theologically convince people so that people from the pew to the pastor believe in this doctrine. Theirs is a heart revolution by faithful preaching and teaching of God's Word.

In SBC circles, when someone says they want to "takeover", this usually means there is a political takeover. That is not the purpose. There is no desire in the Founder's movement to see how they can get political gain. Their focus is merely faithful preaching in local churches.

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

In other words they want to see non-reformed folks out of the picture but not in the political sense.

16. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

No, you are radically putting words into our mouth. We have many friends who are not reformed, and we love our brethren. We do believe we are right, but we believe that preaching and teaching is the primary ends by which God convinced people of truth.

As shown here, a reformed church was willing and wanting to join an association despite being the only and/or in the minority. I think you are trying to portray a conspiracy that is not present.

Rather, on the other end I know several pastors who left the SBC because of the harsh treatment and politics the non-reformed have used against them.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This goes way beyond the Founders faction.

Here is the website of the OP church.

It does not appear they are even affiliated with the so-called "Founders"; rather, they trumpet that they are an "Acts 29 Church".

The Acts 29 Network is a "transdenominational" Reformed/trendy outfit. Several years ago the Missouri Baptist Convention defunded quite a few church planters who had gotten themselves involved in the Acts 29 movement.

18. JesusFan

Just been asking, as know that reformed theology can mean different things to different people!

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

First, the issue is real and true. The church was not allowed admittance to the association, in particular, because of its theological stance. Reported by Hershael York.

Second, since when did Baptists make a particular view of soteriology a test for local association? And, if so, someone should have told all the other reformed Baptists out there through history that they were not really Baptists. Start with the London churches of the 1600s and work your way forward until today.

Sad day for that association. They likely just proved that they are dead.

20. JesusFan

Think that is one of the most valuable Baptist distinctives, in that we "pride" ourselves in allowing freedom to study and inteprete the Bible, as long as it is within 'sound biblical doctrines"...