1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church of the Nazarene vs. Anglican

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Actually, I have experienced and studied enough that my beliefs are not narrow enough to fit into some places who base and define their entire system on a couple of narrow points of view. Another instance of that: I believe that all the gifts of the spirit are for today, but I don't believe the very narrow interpretation and requirement that the Pentecostals put on them, especially one of them. And I like the Nazarenes, but their reason for being seems to be entire sanctification.

The abyss? No, that is what I climbed out of, into the clear air of God's Spirit.

Antithetical to the scriptures? You mean my belief in the teachings of the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed, the statements that all orthodox Christians believe?

No, what I have done is strip away narrowness and extremes, and Calvinism. I stand on quite firm and solid ground. My views are basically moderate Baptist/Anabaptist, and Celtic. Jesus is my personal Savior, and I depend on Him to get to heaven.

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

remember creeds NOT inspired, and that the Gifts of the Spirit today are NOT revelatory in nature, as they once were as in the Book of Acts!

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I understand about creeds. I just believe that the creeds I mentioned teach what is in the Bible. They are a short summary of the Christian faith.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Michael, you certainly come off with some of your statements as if you are so far into left field that you could not possibly undertand much of the history of theology, the church, or the Bible.

Why that is, I'm not sure -- but perhaps your open-minded stance has not benefited you as much as you would like to think.

And, as far as accusing the rest of us of being narrow-minded, perhaps, but I've already demonstrated that I have as much a background as you, and probably am advanced in my studies over you. All that and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee somewhere at a gas station these days. But in any case, there is a DELIBERATE narrowing of the mind to the path of orthodoxy -- and that is where most of us walk -- not because we are too narrow-minded to know other paths, but rather because we are too concerned with what God says via the ENTIRE revelation so as to not go off exploring where we ought not. Hope you get the allusion...

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

that usually is red letter that someone does not want to think that God would be "unfair" with salvation, as some of His critics have suggested here on BB!

6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would venture to say that what brought you back was the power of God. I enjoyed the testimony, thank you! :thumbs:

What I have found with the anti-osas posters on this board is that none of them have a personal testimony of how they had been saved and then became lost and then became born-again-again. You personally have been saved for at least 50 years and your testimony fits perfectly with the OSAS doctrine. Yet somehow you cannot see that it is God who has kept you saved and is keeping you saved, even when you doubted and your mind questioned your heart.

Thanks again for the testimony! :thumbs:

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

(See bolded): I was not doing that. I never applied that to anyone here. What I was referring to was mainly those who build their theological system on one thing -- doctrine, practice, emphasis, etc. For instance, that speaking in tongues was, is, and must be the only initial evidence of the baptism with the Holy spirit.

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You are quite welcome.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Oh, come on now... You are writing to US, here on the board, not some one out there somewhere.

You have made reference to the narrow-minded thing in at least three threads that come to mind, and when called on it, you again backpeddle.

And, I'll call you on one other thing as well. What ELSE would you build your theological system on besides doctrine? Do you have some insight that the rest of us are ignorant of? Speak up!

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Writing to you, but not about you in that post -- and you should know that based on the post. Stop accusing me of doing something I wasn't. if I want to address something to someone specifically, I'll do it, and you know that, too.

On the last bolded part -- What are you talking about!?

11. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Explicit biblical precepts and principles supported by Biblical examples is what doctrine is established on. Doctrine is not established on subjective experiences. Subjective experiences, like Biblical examples can be used to support doctrine but not to establish doctrine. Doctrine must be established upon the objective Word of God in spite of subjective experiences or so says Isaiah (Isa. 8:19-20).

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I think I've finally decided where I will attend church, and this is how I decided: I have come to the conclusion that being a moderate non-Calvinist does not mean that I could be a Nazarene or Anglican, or Presbyterian, etc. Why? Because I hold to the core Baptist principles. I talked to Nazarene officials, and they told me that a person who believes in OSAS wouldn't fit in the Nazarene church, and they expected ministers to have been entirely sanctified. A superintendent did tell me that the experience could be interpreted as cleansing or surrender of self-will.

Then I talked to a pastor of a small Baptist church near me. He told me I didn't have to believe in OSAS to join his church. And he said that while he didn't believe in women pastors, that he was an evangelist and worked frequently with Nazarene and Methodist women pastors. He told me he knew people who said they would walk out of a service held by a woman pastor, but he said he wouldn't go that far.

So, the Nazarenes would have me declare acceptance of and belief in entire sanctification, the doctrine of the Nazarene church, and would expect me to not hold to OSAS. But the Baptist church would only ask if I accepted Jesus as my Savior and wished to be a part of that church. I could believe in OSAS or not. I would not have to declare allegiance to the BF&M 2000 or any other statement of faith.

So, I believe I'll be attending this little SBC church and maintaining my affiliation with the CBF.

Thanks for all feedback on this thread.