1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Youth Conference Gun Giveaway

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Timsings, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this posted on another Baptist forum, and I thought the comments here could be interesting. I can summarize my view of this by quoting Father Mulcahy's question to Hawkeye in a M*A*S*H episode: Have you lost your mind? I find even the suggestion of giving a gun away at a church conference absolutely unbelievable! :BangHead:

Let the bashing begin.

Tim Reynolds

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    #2 Salty, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

There is one possible way to smile at this story ... the part about the pastor emeritus cancelling the event because of a foot injury?!

Is it possible, to use the oft-cited phrase, that he SHOT HIMSELF IN THE FOOT?!:laugh:

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I could see having a shotgun or rifle give away at a Men's Ministry Wild Game Banquet where you have Christian hunters bringing their unsave huntin buddies to an event to eat wild game, hear a gospel presentation from a well know Christian hunter, fisherman, or outdoorsman etc. However, in order to register for the give way you'd have to be of legal age to purchase the gun according to the laws of the particular state. I could not see having a gun give away for a youth event.:tonofbricks:

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

We give away multiple guns at our wild game dinner every year, along with lots of other door prizes. We separate the youth and adult tickets and some prizes are earmarked for youth and others for adults. Some of the guns are youth models and earmarked for youth. They are all donated by supporters and while we have the guns available at the dinner for the winners (and loosers) to look at in order to pick your gun up you have to go to the sporting goods store where they come from later and fill out the appropriate paperwork. For youth this includes bringing a parent or guardian with them. If someone won who was ineligible for gun ownership (convicted felon or something like that) we would have to address that. It has never happened, but it could. We would probably substitute a gift certificate of like value.

6. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

(In my best Foxworthy voice) If your church youth group gives shotguns as doorprizes......... You might be a redneck! :applause:

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well the babble commentary is not 100% accurate. They said that the “priest” running the event had to cancel due to a foot injury. When was the last time a priest ran anything at a Baptist church? In this case the “priest” in question was Jim Vineyard who I have met and I know many of you here on the board know him personally. I would like to see a better description of the gun in question than, “semi-automatic assault rifle.”

And guitarpreacher, we are not all rednecks here, some of us are, but most of us are hillbillies.

Those of you who don't live in gun country all I can say is if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not advertise Guns to help the Prince of Peace?

9. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

What’s the big deal.

It’s like saying, “Free hammers given away”, or “Free laptops, given away”:

There is nothing “evil” about a gun; It is just a tool.
    --------------------------------------------------
    As for the line........
    “Why not advertise Guns to help the Prince of Peace?”

Guns, can save more lives, than they take.

e.g. (If used in self defense, they will!)

10. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have never been hunting, but I know some folks who do hunt, and I understand the purpose and the sport of it. The kind of giveaway you describe here is something I can appreciate although I probably wouldn't attend it. My problem with the other situation, as it was presented, is giving a semi-automatic weapon to an underage boy without, apparently, the "appropriate paperwork."

I also got a chuckle over the "priest" comment in the article. Another reporter on a deadline who can't be bothered to get the details right.

If you know Jim Vineyard, I hope you would ask him about this to see if there are more details in the article that need to be corrected.

Tim Reynolds

#10 Timsings, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Why is it always the liberals that see something wrong with training decent youth how to handle a weapon? If I were to be attacked by a mob of methaddicts I would be a fool to tell my son not to go get his AK-15 asasault rifle he won at church!:wavey:

12. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I don't see what the big deal is. Must be a cultural thing.

Our pastor spent about five minutes Sunday night talking about how he and his son did at a trap shoot last week.

Also, one of our families dressed all in camo for their church directory picture.

I think I must have both the redneck and hillbilly nature...

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I think the bigger problem lies in the geriatrics of program driven churches. That isn't to say I think it is wrong to have an event, or to even offer door prizes...but I think when you are program driven you resort to coming up with something bigger and better than before, then before you know it you've lost focus on what it means to be incarnational, and to be among the community because you are so focused on reelin' 'em in.

14. stilllearning

Hi Salamander

My response, was in response to the hysteria “the world” gets in, when anybody even mentions, “guns”.

We (as Christians), should quickly see through, the mis-information the world feeds us, in their attempt to demonize guns and gun ownership.
    As for my statement about “self defense”: I’m sorry, I should have given some Scripture references....

Defending one’s self......
    Defending others.....

There is a place, for responsible gun ownership in a Christians life.

15. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to get churches to stop their senior adult ministries? Or, do you want to give guns to old people? :smilewinkgrin:

Tim Reynolds

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally, a youth activity of which I approve!

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

In my first pastorate----one particular day my wife and I were out walking(exercizing) when we noticed one of our elderly ladies out in her garden---so we walked up to where she was

We got up close---and we noticed she had a pistol holstered to her right hip---it was what I call a "Hog"----.357 or a .44cal at least

I asked her what she had her "heater" out for------and she said--"In case I see a snake!!!"

I thought to myself ----'Yea!!!! A two legged one!!!!"------so, don't worry----many senior adults "Carry heat!!!"

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm sittin' here reading of the responses-----and I am wondering about that gun giveaway at that youth function

Several "What if's"

(1) What if they win----but they have no use for the gun---I mean, here's a little 13 year old girl----just old enough to figure out how to put on makeup----and now she's stuck with a Browning 12 guage automatic

(2) Suppose "Little Timmy" is an invited guest of his buddy who is a chuirch member and "Little Timmy" wins the gun----he brings it home---and his parents......"Son---where'd you get that shotgun???? We thought we sent you to a church youth function---not a demonstration by the 2nd Armoured Division!!!!"

I like guns and all----got a gun cabinet full of um----I could play a cleaned up "Dirty Harry" if I wanted too

But I'm sorry----church youth functions are for Pizza Hut pizza and Blue Bell ice cream---not Smith & Wesson, Savage, Remington, Mossburg, or Browning:saint:

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

How many times have you been attacked by a gang of meth addicts? If I understand it correctly semi-automatic assault guns are now legal. How many times has anyone here gone hunting with one of these. I wouldn't even think they would be any more useful than a handgun or a rifle for protection. I guess if you were attacked by a gang of meth addicts it might be useful.

You know it's now legal to carry a concealed weapon in Georgia. The mayor of Atlanta and the head of Hartsfield Airport are disputing whether allows someone to legally carry a concealed weapon in the busiest airport in the country. Isn't that special?

19. stilllearning

Hi BaptistBeliever

You said.......
    If they did decide to allow people with CCW’s to carry their weapons at the airport, it would be a safer place.

Right now the thugs are already carrying theirs at the airport.
    (They don’t care what the law says!)

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. The old "win souls for Christ" and "up our numbers" game.

Reminds me of an illustration a wise Arminian pastor that visited our Philippine church back in 1995 gave about this American church who wanted to up their numbers in both attendance and baptisms which, of course, comes from souls "won for Christ".
    Since it was Christmas time they decided to hold this Christmas service with a cantata inviting everyone in the community and friends' members, including youth.
    To make it worth their while, they will put up a show at the end where this angel slowly descends from their 40 feet ceiling until he's on the ground, spotlighted and all, while the choir sings the finale "O Little Town of Bethlehem".
    so they had this elaborate pulley system done by one of their engineer members where they can hoist the "angel" from the choir balcony and slowly pull him from up there towards the center of the church where they will then slowly lower him to the center where this equally elaborate depiction of the manger with the shepherds and the "blessed family" were until the singing reaches its crescendo.
    They hoped to bring the gospel message this way and so touch the visitors' hearts that, perhaps, some of them will stay and be baptized so they can reach that years "souls won" goal.

Nice.

Except the engineer forgot to factor in (or maybe he did but why focus on the negative, eh ? :smilewinkgrin: ) the momentum of the "angel" considering he was a little on the hefty side, and the girdle that held him, though thick and strong, was just about a little up his pear belly and so that kind of had him trying to keep his feet up and his body slightly horizontal, which in turn created a pendulum-like swing that took a while to settle down and about this time they had the spotlight on him and the glare of that light plus the swinging and rocking and the general disorientation was making him really, really sick, and everybody had their faces up at him in open-mouthed awe at all this elaborate presentation......when he threw up, and doooowwwwnnn.....

So much for those who refuse to depend on the Holy Spirit.:BangHead: