1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 11, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Now that football is over with, I been watching more college basketball. I am really happy with the year Indiana is having. Eric Gordon is a great player and it looks like they are going to battle for the Big 10 title.

I have noticed this year that on free throws the players line up differently with no one now on the bottom of the block. Whats the purpose of this?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I noticed the same thing, on free throws. I know there was some rule change, but I am not sure exactly what it entailed.

That is probably not good when your name is Eddie Sutton, as mine is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh sorry! For a second there, I thought my name was Bobby Knight.

;)

Ed

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

With players lining up on the low block nearer the goal, the advantage was often not going to the team fouled but the team doing the fouling. The desire to move the players away from the basket (the way it's been done in the women's game) was to negate this and clear out the logjam that can occur after a missed FT.

My apologies to PastorSBC on the continued troubles facing Sampson at IU. I hate to see a great program sullied. Hopefully there will be vindication.

Oh, by the way, how bout them VOLS!!!!! There's a chance the Memphis-Tenn game could be a #1 vs. #2.

4. PastorSBC1303

Thanks, it is a sad deal. No violations since like 1960 and now this mess. I am not sure how long IU will put up with it. There are many already calling for Sampson's head on a platter.

And you all know the die hards are out there saying that Knight stepped down at Texas Tech because he knew this was coming and therefore he could return to his rightful position :laugh: Some folks need to get a life!

It should be interesting to see if IU reacts and cans Sampson or they stick by him at the risk of some pretty major penalties in the future if it all proves to be true.

Tom, your Vols are playing great. Good luck against Memphis, I am ready to see them lose.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Isn't this charge like what got him at Ok?

6. PastorSBC1303

Yeah it is similar, it was recruiting violations.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Don't look now, but both Tubby and Billy G. are getting close to climbing on the NCAA 'bubble' with their new teams, which was basically considered out of the question at the start of 2008, in conventional wisdom.

Ed

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I liked Tubby as I did for Joe B. Hall, but my wife's family didn't care for either. But you know UK fans, no Rupp, no coach. But I cause trouble, I show them that they were not real happy with Rupp at the end. But you know how Gator fans are, for years we just marked the 2 games with UK as a loss on both games in round ball.

One of the first things I got my wife after we got married was a brown dress!!!

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm always ready to see Memphis High lose, especially if it means the Vols would be ranked #1.

For all of the carping against Bobby Knight, you never heard any impropriety of this sort while he was there. Never.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Did you guys see that Krzyzewski and Williams are feuding over injury reports? If they keep this sort of stuff going, do you guys think they could start a rivalry between those 2 schools?

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yeah...I could see where this could get some airplay and people might start paying attention to Duke/NC. Might be as big of a rivalry as St. Mary's/Gonzaga :)

Seriously, of all the in-state wars, this year's Memphis/Tenn game is the game of the year. Bigger than both the Duke/NC games put together. Maybe K threw that comment out at Roy because he knows their programs are being marginalized and their rivalry (despite the BooYah Boys best efforts) is just not the glamor game it once was.

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Umm... What???

Neither Duke nor UNC are going to be marginalized as long as they keep winning games.

I've been sick and out of work all week and have watched a lot of SportsCenter. What you're describing isn't really close to what the BooYah Back-Back-Back network has been saying this week.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

How are they describing it?

When I say marginalized, I don't mean entirely. But every year we had Duke-UNC shoved down our throats. (Much like the Red Sox-Yankees games on ESPN). Duke has not had tourney success lately and have no marquee names.

Listening to XM, I've heard no less than four different radio shows echo these same sentiments. Some have Duke-UNC off the map, which to me is ridiculous. They are going to get love even if no one on their team can dribble a ball more than twice and the games end in 4-3 scores. But the landscape in basketball is shifting

And I'll ask: which game would you rather watch? Duke-NC or Memphis/Tenn if both were on this weekend? SI wrote even before the teams were ranked 1/2 that Mem/UT had supplanted Duke/NC as the rivalry game in CBB in the South. While I didn't and don't agree, there's no doubt the game has more national significance right now and has transcended the mid-south attention it normally gets because of the usual storylines.

#13 TomVols, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The only things about UNC and Duke that I've seen are the words that the coaches have had and the games they played on Wednesday night. Other than that, they haven't been seen. The BooYah network has been promoting Memphis/Tennessee pretty heavily and their College Gameday crew will be at Memphis all day Saturday.

There's no question I would watch Memphis/Tennessee.

I think this is great for college basketball fans. Over the last 20 years or so of college basketball, 1v2 games usually seemed to involve Duke and/or UNC, and while I appreciate the excellence and greatness of those programs, it's high time we started seeing other schools in these games.

Even if one of the schools is Tennessee. :tongue3:

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

That's just your jealousy coming out :)

A Tennessee team is playing for the right to be the #1 team in the land....and the team is made up of men! Who woulda thunk it :)

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Ahhh You guys are making me jealous! I donĀ“t get any college hoops coverage down here until the Final Four. That is better than nothing at all though!

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Anybody remember this post I made from a month ago? Kentucky is, IMO, one win away from a "lock", if they are not already "in", even after the loss of their 'freshman phenom' star, and a Minnesota team that was not realisitically expected to be over .500, has now climbed squarely "on the bubble", with 20 wins, and IMO, one more win could possibly get them in, as well, although they may still be one 'quality win' shy. {Two more wins would make it automatic for Tubby, but winning your conference tourney is still a tall order for anybody, these days. Just ask the 'Zags and Gaels on the West Coast [KY's loss to San Diego (21-13) doesn't look nearly so devastating in retrospect, here!], Stephen F. Austin, and Xavier!}

Anywho -

Not too shabby for two guys whose were considered to have absolutely no chance on Feb.1, I'd say. :rolleyes:

Ed

#17 EdSutton, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

All due respect, I think KY is in because they are KY. 18 wins, even if ten are in your conference, is just not good when you balance it against the other sides of the ledger. Even if UK is bounced today, they're in IMHO. I'm getting to dislike Billy G's penchant for whining. Yesterday, he (1) Complained that UK was playing its first game when GA had already played three in the tournament (they had played ONE); (2) the late start time (as if GA wouldn't be affected since they had to play too, especially after going into OT and finishing after midnight the night before). I think some of my UK friends who...well, love to blame a loss on anything but losing have a built in excuse about the game today if they lose, or if they lose at any point in the tourney.

I do not believe Billy G should've shared COY honors with Bruce Pearl. I think you could even make a case for Pelphrey over Pearl. Ark was not expected to do anything, and to be 2nd in the West was a big accomplishment. Let's hope that's all they can say after tonight :)

19. PastorSBC1303

I agree.

It seems they do got a coach that does this with the best of em.

Indiana has now lost their last 3 games and I do not expect them to do much in the tourney. I think they whole Sampson ordeal has really taken its toll on them.

I am glad to see Tubby doing well for himself at Minnesota. I would not mind to see him moving south next year to Bloomington.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Tubby does have a history of moving to a school within his conf....heck, within his division. But one year and out at Minn? I just believe IU will get (hopefully) an up and comer. But don't get me wrong, I think Tubby would be a good hire. Wonder if he'd come back to the SEC if LSU or South Carolina called?