1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College football, Week 1

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Sep 3, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Let me say that I am as surprised as anyone that the Vols were as dominant as they were. Is Tennessee that good or is Cal that bad? The plays looked the same as they always have for Tennessee, it's just that this year, the receivers actually made catches and made the plays.

Colorado goes down at home to I-AA Montana State. Wow.

Different players, same result - Arkansas gets blown out by the Trojans.

Alabama needs a late INT to beat Hawaii. Wow.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Arkansas will start true freshman Mitch Mustain Saturday against Utah State. Is Nutty pushing the panic button?

Louisville RB Michael Bush has broken his leg and is gone for the season. Should Petrino push the panic button?

3. cjnreb

cjnreb New Member

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Nutt is not pushing the panic button. I think that the consensus among Hog fans is that this was not his decision but was forced on Nutt by Frank Broyles. If that was the case, then he had to either make the move or quit.

If that is the case, though, I think that the consensus among Hog fans is that it is the best move as any hope for a return to the consistent national prominence of the 60s-80s rides on Mustain's ability to return to the passing attack of Nutt's first two years at Arkansas when Clint Stoerner was the quarterback.

#4 KenH, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was surprised to see Tennessee whip California that badly as well. Time will tell. Maybe Tennessee has rebounded and is really that good and/or maybe California is really overrated. Time will tell.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Maybe there are shades of "Joe Pa" last year in Phil Fullmer this year. Who knows? But I was surprised to hear about Colorado.

Ed

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Bush's injury for Louisville is going to be huge in the long run.
    I remember Bush and Brohm fighting it out for the 5A state championship when i was in seminary...they have bulked him up BIG TIME. I really do think he was a dark horse for the Heisman.

As for Nutt...that panic button has been pushed for over a year now.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I was the optimist that you tried to douse earlier...

Cal didn't warrant the hype. They have talented players but they'd never really been tested the way UT could test them.

However, UT is very good. The defense will probably be better than last year which is saying quite a bit.

The change in offensive performance wasn't an accident. They told their players that they had to lose weight, get stronger, and play more physical. Cutcliffe is an execution/attention to detail nut. That reflected in everyone's play.

Granted, not many SEC DC's is going to be stupid enough to put their 180 DB on an island with a 210 lb WR that runs a 4.4... but they also ran up over 200 yards on the ground. Reportedly, Cal's AA candidate d-lineman said that UT's o-line was as good as he's played... and he's played against the best SC lines. Remember, the o-line was considered a major question mark and probably still is a question mark.

Cal is a good enough team though to build off this loss and get better. They should have a pretty good idea of how far they need to go before playing SC now.

I heard Trooper had them catching bricks... whatever works I suppose.

Arkansas' defense got tired and in classless fashion Carroll ran the score up unnecessarily. I hope he gets his turn to be embarrassed soon.

Not very promising for your offense when you can't score points in bunches against UH. Also, giving up 350 passing yards doesn't bode well for Bama against LSU, UF, UT, and Auburn.