1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Commentaries on Jonah

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Reagan, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Reagan

Reagan New Member

What are your favorite commentaries on Jonah? What is special about your favorites?

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just reading in a book about the translators of the KJV, where one of the translators, George Abbot, preached for five years on the book of Jonah, a total of 260 sermons. He then published a commentary on the same book that was 631 pages long. I would advise staying away from this commentary on Jonah.

The author states:
    I know this doesn't help you with your post, I thought it was interesting, though.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

Jason :D

3. JonHenry

JonHenry New Member

Just did a study on Jonah & checked about 7 books. 1 was the Anchor Bible, 1 was "The Translator's Guide". The others, I don't remember the names. Sorry. There are a lot of interesting books on J, but most of them deny the fish swallowed him.

More informative than a commentary:
    Your own inductive study B4 you read any book. Read J through 7-8 times, pref'bly in different translations. Note as many questions/observations as you can: why is ch.2 a Psalm & the rest story? What all did God "appoint" or "cause"? Notice that everything else obeyed God except for J himself. Go through and note all the places, characters, emotions, movements, etc. Make a chart, then find the theme of the book.

After this you can fill in the cultural/historical blanks by referencing a Bible Dictionary on Ninevah, Joppah, etc.

Then you read the commentaries.

Hope this helps.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always enjoyed the "Speaker's Bible" volume on the Minor Prophets. Reading others' sermons (esp from 100+ years ago) blesses my gizzard. Lots of seed ideas for my preaching from that entire set.