1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Community College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

My daughter at 16 finished two years of high school and then attended a community college for one year and is now attending Auburn University. She is studying art and interior design.

My son just finished two years of high school and is now registered for classes at a community college to study computer programming and Cisco Networking. He will earn an A.A.S. degree.

Two questions:

1. What do you think of my kids finishing high school early and getting on with life?

Both of my kids were sick of high school and had an immediate attitude change when they were allowed to go to college. They also work and are responsible for their own expenses, etc. They can also live at home for one or two years before transferring to a four year college.

2. Are private baptist colleges getting too expensive? Is there a move away from Christian colleges to community colleges/state universities?

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many, if not most high schools prior to the 1950's graduated people at age 16. Of course they didn't learn calculus, but they also didn't learn all the social junk that is taught today. At 16 or so my parents joined the work force and started supporting themselves and living on their own.

Everything is too expensive. The answer is to live below your means.

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I agree. It seems that today we baby our children and treat them like children, and so they act like children when they should be putting away childish things and becoming adults.

I think adolescence is the great hoax of American education!

I think the cure for teenage rebellion is to let our children become adults. Once they are out on their own, earning a living and going to college, its amazing how much they want to drop in for dinner, stop and chat, etc.

I have strong-willed, independent children, but they aren't rebellious.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I graduated from high school a year early, and doing so was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two grand kids of that age, one has graduated early, worked a year and is off to Bible Institute this fall. Very mature young lady. Her sis will be doing the early graduation and what ever follows. She is also very mature for her age.

Not sure if maturity comes with the hard work of graduating early or what. Me, I was lazy, graduated (barely) on time and wen to the Navy, got matured real quick :)

Don't see anything wrong with graduating early.

As to Christian colleges/expense. You betcha they is! but then all education is spendy. Community college is a good budget saver!

There are a few Bible Institutes that are very inexpensive, maybe colleges, though don't know of any. Usually nonaccredited if that makes a difference to you however.

6. Dannyboy

Dannyboy New Member

My 2 cents...

I graduated from HS 3 years ago (not early) and went on to Community College partly for the cost and partly to find myself, and figure out life a little bit. I have since earned my AA degree and am heading to Landmark Baptist College in August.
    OK... About graduating early... I think it's great if the student is at a mature enough level to do so.
    I wouldn't have been. My cousin had her AA degree when she was 17 and is working on a double-major double-minor and will graduate next year at 20... that doesn't seem fair, but she is just more mature and knows where her priorities are at.
    Sorry if this didn't touch on anything except me. But in short... I opt for Community College it's cheaper and gives time for the student to figure things out for him/herself. Also Baptist Colleges are not cheap, but the Lord provides as needed.

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Thank you to everyone so far!

Your responses are encouraging and are affirming that if a teen is mature enough, then graduating from high school early and attending college is a good option.

Community colleges seem to be a good start for early graduates of high school. They are inexepnsive, have smaller class sizes for the basic liberal arts courses, and are accredited.

When I graduated from high school in 1980, early graduation was unheard of. Your responses are showing me that it is not all that rare anymore.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some community colleges are great and some are not as hard as some high schools.

This past fall semester I had a young man in class who came from a community college and he had the lowest grade in class. Another student came from another community college and he had the highest grade in class. What they must watch out for is settling for an attitude that is typical of most high schools and community colleges. Most community colleges take a hands on approach. Whereas the university is more research oriented and goes deeper in terms of the subject matter.

When I was in high school the universities I applied to would not have considered me unless I had four years of math, two years of biology, chemistry, physics, four years of English, two years of a foreign language, a high enough score on the SAT and a high enough GPA.

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Very true.

With kids taking Algebra I in 8th grade, geometry, and Algebra II in 9th and 10th, they can still score high enough to take Calculus I and II at the community college.

My daughter tested into Calculus. She earned A's and B's both at the community college and at Auburn University.

Block scheduling in some high schools is allowing students to take four years of math in two years!