1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Company Hired by Southern Seminary Supports Diversity

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by go2church, Mar 21, 2005.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not funny. This is bad. Real bad.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

hmmmm that is a problem, as a DMin student there I will be interested in how they handle it...

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PastorSBC1303

Do you know anyone that can let Mohler know what is happening? This could be a real PR problem. As well as an ethics issue.
    sodexo web page

5. PastorSBC1303

I am pretty sure Mohler knows by now...

6. PastorSBC1303

El Guero I tried to answer your PM on this subject, but it said your message box was full.

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

Somebody, evidently, really dropped the ball here. I hope to find out what's really going on.

Bill

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm missing why this is "bad". Does anyone expect our churches or schools to ONLY use Baptist companies with all the same values?

Bet they buy groceries from stores, vehicles from manufacturers, building supplies from companies . . that have similar policies.

Can't believe the hatred for the conservatives in the SBC rolls over into this myopic thinking.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Message Box fixed ...

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Dr. Bob,

It may be that you did not see the connection. Not too long ago, the SBC voted to boycott organizations that encouraged same alternative lifestyles (Disney). The company hired by the seminary accepts alternate lifestyle unions AND REQUIRES that everyone doing business through them do the same.

I can only pray that the seminary is allowed to not require acceptance because they are the customer.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they don't. Obviously Southern doesn't accept the company's position and "do the same" as you suggest.

And yep, I knew about the Mickey Mouse boycott (not working any more than no birth control works in typical catholic families). It seems incongruous to be condemning on one hand and paying $$ for contracts on the other.

But such is the business world.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern would have no control over employee policies once the contract takes effect because Southern is no longer the employer.

13. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Exactly.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

YEP

And then when the employee of a different persuasion is sent to test the waters ... any action by the seminary will be a court case ...

I wonder if that is what the seminary is trying to force? We would know the spiritual climate of the court system real quick ...

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Personally, i think the firing of all of the seminary's maintenance employees is just a continuation of how student unfriendly the SBTS has become. They hardly paid their house and ground workers enough to live off of (most fell into the earned income tax credit bracket), and a lot of them were students that relied on these jobs to help get them through a degree that is getting more and more expensive each year.

This goes right along with the demolition of a number of good homes and apartments 4 years ago so that Al Mohler's legacy of greatness could be continued through those mostly vacant, and over priced apartments he had built on Grinstead Drive. BTW...if i sound a little bitter on this one, its because i was forced to move with my 7 month pregnant wife with only 2 months notice before this building process began.

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Dr. Bob, what's the big deal?

The SBC leadership has consistently come out against..well frankly, what haven't they come out against!? And now a seminary hires someone that will require them to them to go against one of their stands if they want to continue to do business with them. Remember how the Annunity Board vs. Carnival Cruise Line was handled? You would have thought the leadership was throwing puppies in a sack off a high bridge.

Perhaps the SBC should quit with all the stupid votes and resolutions that are trying to show, everyone that really doesn't matter, how conservative they are?

17. PastorSBC1303

yup bobby you sound bitter....and I must say I think you are way off base about the 'legacy of greatness' phrase.

18. wtrsju

wtrsju New Member

Just for more info on this subject.. I attended Liberty University and Sodexho did all of our food management..

19. Palmetto Boy

Palmetto Boy New Member

I'm with Dr. Bob. I'm not sure this is really that big an issue.

I would also distinguish between using Sodexho and boycotting Disney. When the Disney boycott began Disney was an institution that wielded more power over popular opinion than it does today. They were beginning to take a more aggressive approach to promoting (not simply permitting) homosexuality. Thus, while I'm not a Southern Baptist and I did not participate in that boycott, I'm hesistant to write it off as illegitimate. Look at Disney now, maybe the SBC succeeded! [​IMG] Really, though, perhaps the problems they are facing are divinely sent.

Even if a boycott's effect on the bottom line is questionable, the PR keeps the company accountable. Additionally it sends a message to the culture at large.

As I see it, Sodexho doesn't have the same leverage to promote their social agenda that an entertainment company has. I suspect they are more interested in the financial benefits of serving Southern. For economic reasons they will probably avoid rocking the boat.

Finally, I see no reason why Christian schools would have a problem with homosexuals on their campus. Our issue is with the the SIN. Christ associated with sinners so that he could touch them with his power. It is time to stop marching in protest of gay activism, and start inviting those people over for supper. Beware, though-- Christ caught a lot of flack for eating with sinners. What a testimony it would be if an openly gay employee was consistently treated with love by the people of SBTS, and it drew him to Christ.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

they're flippin burgers...not teaching Sunday School

I am however rather mystified about the releasing of their employees. One of the constants on seminary campuses is the lack of legitimate wages given to student laborers who endure back breaking work while attempting to support a family and/or go to class. While I am sure that the seminary will do everything in its power to find these workers new positions somewhere else, I am troubled by the lack of respect given to the students by our seminaries. My simple experience at my former beloved seminary is that I was simply a number to certain people...and they did things to make them look better and not the Kingdom