1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Concerning Romans 9:16

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by canadyjd, Feb 13, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So who believes that they make themselves elect?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the passage deals with election, but the crux of that issue is who are we to question (it is not the right of the clay to question the Potter). And that is not the actual focus of the passage.

The focus of the passage is God being faithful even though not all of the descendents of Israel are Israel and the extention of the promise beyond the descendents of Jacob. The focus is divine justice.

What makes you believe the focus of the passage is election?

3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    because of his "theology"!

4. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same way that all the rest of us wretched hell bound sinners did and still do. We respond to the various promptings that God has provided. You know creation, conviction of the Holy Spirit or even hearing the gospel message. For some strange reason people seem to forget that God actually reached out to people prior to Christ going to the cross and still has that ability.

Yes I know you are not a calvinist but this does make me wonder about the logic behind some of the thinks they say.
    I do find it really odd that any calvinist would question how God saves a person. Do they think Irresistible Grace only works after a person hears the gospel? Would that not make election conditional on hearing the gospel? But I thought they believed in Unconditional Election?

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I acknowledged my statement was inaccurate and told you that I stand corrected.

I’m not sure what else you want from me.

peace to you

6. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the question is who does God choose to have mercy and compassion upon. Is it an arbitrary choice or is there something that would influence His decision?

Romans 9 is about how someone would become one of the elect. Paul did lay out how some were chosen for service, Pharaoh and how He chose one family line over another Jacob over Esau. So in that since they were elected by God. But how does an individual become one of the elect, one of those chosen for salvation?

Rom 9:16 is clear that man can not save himself, by his will, nor can he do enough good works, how he runs, so how does he become one of the elect of God?

Paul provides the answer to this question. Romans 9:30-33 shows us that it through faith. While the Jews pursued salvation through works/the law and failed the Gentiles pursed salvation through faith and became one of the elect

So we see that faith does indeed come before election.

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9:30-33 has moved from the question of election to attaining salvation (a right relationship with God)

Attaining a right relationship with God comes from faith in Jesus Christ, not works of the OT Law.

Election, however, comes prior to faith and is according to God’s will and purpose.

peace to you

8. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sinner can ever be "elect" unless they repent of their sins and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, first.

There is no election to salvation based on faith without repentance. This is a false teaching

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying God is just arbitrary in this election of yours or does He have a reason behind what He does?

I call it your election as it is not in the text.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election is prior to faith. The text is very clear in Romans 9.

Election is an act of God according to His will and purpose apart from anything the person does.

That is why it is called grace (unmerited favor)

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith,

Faith comes before grace. So faith before election. The text is clear in Ephesians.

What we see in Romans is that faith comes before election. Rom 9:30-33
    That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith Rom 9:30

You have not provided any clear text in Romans nine.to support your claim of election prior to faith. We see election to service of Jacob and Pharaoh but not to faith.

#91 Silverhair, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word grace means unmerited favor. Depending upon the context, it could mean salvific grace or enabling grace (empowered by God Holy Spirit to accomplish a task or endure persecution) or it could refer to the unmerited favor of God in election.

Faith comes before salvation. Election comes before faith.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep saying the same thing over and over and yet you never give any verse that provide clear support for your view that one is elect prior to faith.

But since calvinists do have the habit of changing the meaning of words why don't you tells what "election" means to you in your comment "Election comes before faith"

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have explained in detail what I believe about election and have focused on Romans 9 to support my beliefs.

I could repeat myself, but some are complaining I repeat myself over and over and in the next breath claim I haven’t supported my beliefs with scripture.

Obviously, some folks aren’t here to discuss the posts but rather regurgitate anti-doctrines of grace rhetoric.

peace to you

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I believe this is the key to your statement of which I clicked, "winner".

1Jo 5:6

This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

It is also the key to 1 John 5:9-

With the Spirit of Truth which God gives, one doesn't have any witness. That is the, "First Cause," IMHO.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God elects, God gives and the result is; And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Actually all of Rom 8.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you cannot support your view with scripture. Got it.

One thing I have noticed abut the average calvinist we see on this board. When you ask them to support their view with clear scripture they usually duck for cover. They repeat what they have already said as if that somehow supports them or they throw out some unrelated verse.

Trying to get a clear answer from a calvinist is like trying to nail jello to a wall. And then they wonder why we do not believe what they say.

#97 Silverhair, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have repeated focused in Romans 9 to support my beliefs.

Let’s attempt to focus on the passages instead of personal attacks.

If you can’t focus on the passages, I would appreciate it if you would go away so that those who desire genuine dialog can do so.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9 is about God's sovereign choice to include the Gentiles in and to exclude non believing Jews. Romans 9 cannot be divorced from the rest of the book just because we have placed chapter divisions. The context of Romans 9 needs to be understood by the context of the entire book.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

1Co 15:20
    But the fact is, Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. ​

Thus using the first fruits variant in 2 Thessalonians 2:13, God chose you as first fruits for salvation. Thus to be a "first fruit" is to be among those made alive, just as Jesus was raised from the dead. Obviously a person must be chosen as a first fruit for salvation, otherwise they would not be a first fruit.

In 1 Corinthians 15:23 we see the order of the resurrection to life, first Christ who has already been resurrected bodily, then second those who have fallen asleep in Christ, the born anew who have physically died, then the born anew still physically living when Christ comes in the air. Of course, the second and third groups were chosen through the sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

In 1 Corinthians 16:15 we see that those born anew while living in the region called Achaia are some of the "first fruits" or the fruits of the "First" (and the Last) Christ Jesus.

In Romans 8:23, those born anew and indwelt as a pledge to our future physical resurrection, look forward whether or not we will be part of group 2 (asleep in Christ) or group 3 (physically living in Christ).

In Romans 11:16, we see that everyone born anew, whether among the first or everyone chosen later, has been rendered holy by the washing of regeneration.

In Romans 16:5, we see that someone was the first fruits into Christ from Asia.

None of these usages alter the fact, people are chosen for salvation by being set apart in Christ based on God crediting their faith in the truth as righteousness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.