1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Congregational Rule

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jan 10, 2008.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I have only been a pastor for 7 years, I have been in ministry for 18 and I can tell you if someone came in here today and told me all I had to do was preach and pray, I would probably kiss them on the mouth! I guess I just have a higher view of the so called sheep then you do. No, they don't always do things like I want or as fast as I want, but this was their church before I go here and will be if I ever leave. Guide the sheep, teach the sheep but also trust the sheep they have the Holy Spirit as well.

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

No I'm not. The color of the suitcoats and the question of wearing a tie is not a spiritual matter. As Go2 says, there must be a good balance.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think again. When you said, "A fold run by the sheep (even a board of sheep) will end up in the wolves' bellies," you were speaking of the spiritual element, because the Biblical view of the wolf is that of a spiritual false teacher. But you were linking it to the temporal running of the church. So you were mixing the two up, Biblically speaking.

I believe in the pastor having full control of all spiritual matters, though the people may be helpers in that area: SS teachers, etc. That's Biblical. But any pastor who can't delegate temporal matters to sheep is a dictator.

Furthermore, if the so-called "elder rule" model usually advocated (I assume the one you advocate) were Biblical, then a small church like mine, with only one elder possible right now, cannot be Biblical. Or, I'd have to be a dictator, something completely unbiblical (1 Peter 5:3).

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ah well I suppose it should end there. The source is Davies & Allison. And as most people know Baker has an Evangelical Dictionary.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sure don't believe in giving much information, do you? I assume you mean Baker's Book House, the publisher, for the dictionary, instead of some man named Baker. Alas, I don't have that nor can I just run out and buy it here in Japan. And I had to look up Davies and Allison on the Internet, since I'd never heard of them. I assume you mean their commentary of Matthew, though you don't say.

If that's all you can give me, yep, it'll have to end there.