1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contraception

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by mojoala, Jun 26, 2006.

1. BD17

BD17 New Member

Mojoala read what God killed Onan for again, it was not contraception that killed him, but more Him disobeying God, God told Him to raise up seed and he did not do it therefore it was the disobedience that killed Him. Not the spilling of his seed.

2. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

There are six billion humans in the world and growing, 300 million of them in the United States. If there is one commandment we humans followed, it was to multiply! :smilewinkgrin:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is one of those rare occasions I can say, BD17, we agree completely!:thumbs: :laugh:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

....Yep....

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This reasoning reminds me of homosexuals who claim that the sin of Sodom and Gomorroh was not their decadent lifestyles, but their lack of hospitality. There is an agenda to be pushed and any irrational reasoning will do.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Oh ohoh! Can I play?

Rats and rags, I can't right now but I'm coming back in a couple of hours. :D

Have fun wondering which side I'm on in this discussion.....Okay, maybe a hint:

MC, this almost ruined all the spring cleaning I did in here this week. I had just taken a big drink of coffee when I read it. :eek: :laugh:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well drat MK! I hate to be the reason someone has to windex the computer screen :tongue3:

8. mojoala

mojoala New Member

I did, you wanna know what happened? I have anticipated this question as well.

Gen. 38:11-26 - Judah, like Onan, also rejected God's command to keep up the family lineage, but he was not killed.

Both disobeyed God. But only one was killed. What was the difference? Onan spillled his seed.

Anymore questions?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bet mojoala has a real big problem with folks like me who have had a vasectomy. :laugh:

By the way, all of my dogs have always been neutered or spayed. I wonder if mojoala has a problem with that as well. :smilewinkgrin:

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We can get all bogged down like the Pharisees in crossing all the t's and dotting all the eyes -- or making them up where none exist.

Mark 12: 29-31
    "The most important one [commandment]," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God wilh all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself." There is no commandment greater than these."

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ken,

We only two children by plan. Ron didn't want to be like Abraham raising children. (AND that doesn't make me a Sarah!)

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with your interpretation here.

Onan refused to impregnate Tamar out of greed. With his brother dead, Onan would now receive the "double-portion" of the birth-right of the first born.....unless his older brother had children.

And by their law, if the oldest brother had no sons, the next brother was to impregnate the widow and the children would be "legally" the sons of the dead man and birth-right would follow it's original line of succession.

Had Onan lived, he would have more than likely had other wives and "legal" children of his own. Onan did not refuse to be fruitful and multiply......Onan refused to let go of his dead brother's birthright.

As for Judah? He was not refusing to be fruitful and multiply or continue the family lineage. He was just not going to allow Tamar to be the woman who bore any children that continued the family lineage.

He sent her back to her family to protect his youngest son whom he thought would be struck dead, too.

He had no issues with procreation. He had issues with Tamar. And after the scandal of scandals that would make any modern-day soap opera look like "The Waltons", Judah most definitely took responsibility for his personal role in the procreation of his new twin sons, Pharez and Zareh.

This story in the bible is not about people's shunning procreation and refusing to be fruitful and multiply.

13. mojoala

mojoala New Member

No. You are wrong.

The underlying theme is disobedience.

One was killed and the other was not.

So what warranted the Death Penalty by God himself?

His disobedience of greed or spewing his sperm upon the ground instead of it going where is proper and natural?

Can't be greed, because Judah did so of greed as well. The greed of his lust.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, I'm trying to think of some nice response to this and yet, I'm having a difficult time. It is obvious that you think you are right and that there is no wiggle room here.

So my response is that you are wrong. You have misinterpreted quite a few verses here. You have strung together verses to prove a point and your point is wrong. Scarlett happens to be correct in her reading of these stories. You have made them about something they are not trying to prove a point.

15. mojoala

mojoala New Member

From the early church fathers. Those that knew more than we.

"Moreover, he [Moses] has rightly detested the weasel [Lev. 11:29]. For he means, ‘Thou shall not be like to those whom we hear of as committing wickedness with the mouth with the body through uncleanness [orally consummated sex]; nor shall thou be joined to those impure women who commit iniquity with the mouth with the body through uncleanness’" Letter of Barnabas 10:8 (A.D. 74).

16. mojoala

mojoala New Member

You are wrong as well, as the day of Judgement will show.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Why have you chosen contraception as an issue?

If we love the Lord our God with all our hearts . . . then things like contraception will fall into their proper places as we seek to love God.

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

and this means what?

19. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Another from the Early Church Fathers:

"Because of its divine institution for the propagation of man, the seed is not to be vainly ejaculated, nor is it to be damaged, nor is it to be wasted" Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor of Children 2:10:91:2 (A.D. 191).

"To have coitus other than to procreate children is to do injury to nature." Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor of Children 2:10:95:3 (A.D. 191).

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Interesting things from Mojoala's public profile:

The last two are the most concerning to me..considering Rome?
    What does that mean?
    And also, "saved as long as I can remember"? Must have been born with it I guess?