1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contradiction or adultry?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by benz, Feb 2, 2007.

1. benz

benz New Member

I am not judging my dad but according to Jesus he has commited adultry on my mom by remarring.
    10When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

But in 1st Corinthians the author says it is better to stay single but if your must do remarry, rather than sin and fall into lust..

But earlier jesus said remarring is a Sin....Is this a contradiction or Do i not understand what is being said..

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no contradiction. I think if you look at the verses very carefully, you will have a better understanding.

I Corinthians 7:8-11

(8). To single people (never married) and to people whose spouses have died Paul said that it is good for them to remain single. Note that he said "good", not that he said that this was a biblical mandate. He felt like they could give more of their time to the Lord in state. Obviously, it is not a sin for people who have never married to get married and nor for people whose spouses have died to get remarried.

(9). For people in this case of been never married or having a deceased spouse, he says that if they are going to be consumed with passion and have a drive for sex that is so powerful that it overshadows any good that they can do for the Lord or anyone else for that matter, that they should marry. Again that is Paul's opinion based on common sense and trying to prevent fornication.

(10.) For married people, he reminds them that God has commanded fidelity and remaining married. He makes sure that they understand that he cannot give his opinion, as he did with single people, because God has already mandated the holiness of marriage. There is no Godly mandate for single people to stay that way or get married. They can live in either state, but sexually active only in the married state.

(11.) He reminds them that if divorce does occur, that remarriage is not optional. There should be reconciliation.

Now having said all of that, your father has remarried. Many people today find themselves in that state. There are good and Godly people on the BB in that particular state.

I would have to give my opinion here.

I would think that they should repent of divorce and repent of adultery. If they are remarried they should stay that way and focus on making that relationship proper and Godly.

If they were to divorce their current spouse and remarry their former spouse then they are just repeating the problem.

Confess to God and to the former spouse, if necessary and if called for, that sin was committed.

Confess to God and to the current spouse that you acknowledge that this wasn't the way God intended for His children to live.

Commit to God and to the current spouse anew and live holy.

#2 Scarlett O., Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. AAA

AAA New Member

"But earlier jesus said remarring is a Sin....Is this a contradiction or Do i not understand what is being said.."

That's the same question that I had...

I have asked the same question on the "Baptist theology and bible study" board of this forum. If you would like to raed the responses to my post you could look for the post called "RE-MARRIAGE". Its a new post, I posted it this week.

#3 AAA, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  4. benz

benz New Member

thanks for your prompt reply...

This is a big dilema.. luckily I am not faced with it...We need not worry we saved by the grace of God..thanks for cleaing my confusion.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word does not reveal ALL the facts in one verse/passage. It takes study of all of the passages.

Jesus elsewhere gives biblical rules for a divorce and remarriage. I don't know the case of your father, but it may be that he followed such rules and the exceptions. God hates divorce, but there are legitimate grounds for such and thus legitimate freedom to marry.

I'd suggest Guy Duty's "Divorce and Remarriage" to look at ALL the verses involved in this teaching.

6. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Also, was your dad a Christian at the time of the first marriage and the remarriage?

Befor judging anyone, its better to remember that all saints have a past and all sinners have a future.

7. benz

benz New Member

He was a born again christian at the time of his first marriage and his second. He is currently a born again christian as well...

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good friend of mine was in the same situation. His father divorced his mother and married another woman. This is while we were both in high school.

During our college years, 1 Cor. 5:9-13 pressed on his mind. He could see no Scriptural response but to break fellowship with his father. So he did. His father never repented. He remained married to the other woman until he died early last month.

I saw my friend grow into a spiritual giant because of the sacrifice he made and the suffering he endured.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

How does being a Christian or not being a Christian have a bearing upon sin?

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Scarlett,

If you would read the Bible very carefully, you will understand . . .

And thus you begin an interesting, even if different, commentary.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It don't, and if you are in adultery you have to get out before you can be saved. IMO

That is the big argument I been having the last two weeks that because you have the blood applied to your soul does not mean you can keep stealing, killing, etc.
    Being a Christian means something, not just in name. It is not just he hearer but the hearer and the doer. If you are not a doer, you just don't have the real thing. IMO (notice I have to put IMO, now to protect myself)

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

How sad that your friend shunned his own father, and now it's too late to do anything about it. I don't see a spiritual giant, sounds more like a self-righteous and sad person.

13. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

IMO, it would have a bearing because if he wasn't saved at the time of the first marriage and divorce, then when he was saved all sin would be washed away.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Even if he still was in adultery. All you have to do when in adultery is get saved and then its alright to continue in adultery? Somehow, I don't see the logic.

15. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

A marriage at 19 in front of a justice of peace before you were saved...I could see where some might not recognize that as a marriage.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Good way out I guess. Think it will work?

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is truly sad that he had to break fellowship with his father, but it's obvious from your statement you have a low esteem of the plain teaching of Scripture. If you esteemed the Word of God, you couldn't help but esteem the man of whom I speak.

#17 Aaron, Feb 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2007
  18. benz

benz New Member

Geez Im not going to turn my back on my dad...

What should I do. I feel shy telling my dad that he is commiting adultry. So is it adultry ever time he sleeps with his new wife?
    Why did I have to read this verse?!Why did God have to make it so hard. I know we are saved by grace. I guess the holy spirt hasnt convicted him that it is a sin, do you think God wants me to tell him? Should he leave his current wife. They are very godly couple and obey him to the best of their ability, I dont even know if they think this is a sin...

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, do nothing rashly. Be quick to hear and SLOW to speak.

Second, prayerfully analyze the situation. As Dr. Bob stated, you need to study the doctrines of marriage, before you can rightly evaluate the situation. Why is your father and mother divorced? Which one sued for divorce?

Third, act according to the commands of Christ. (This is assuming, of course, you've taken ample time to learn the doctrines of marriage and to evaluate the situation.)

If an admonition to your father is required, expect to be misunderstood.

20. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Yes, what a wonderful way to help lead someone to repentance, forgiveness, and Jesus' love. By passing judgement on them and shunning them. Just the way Jesus taught us to do.

What a spiritual giant your friend must be.

#20 RockRambler, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007