1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conversion-Immersion

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by adisciplinedlearner, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

So Ann, once you baptized the child as a dedication and the child came to faith later, was the child baptized again? If they did the baptism merely as a dedication and the child later came to faith was the child baptized again? If not, then would that be considered administering baptism to unbelievers?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here is proof, Lori, that you called DHK's wife a bigot. He married someone who is Free Presbyterian. You said "the bigoted Free Presbyterian". That means that DHK's wife is a bigot. You then changed your words here to saying that there are "bigots within the Free Presbyterian church" which is not, in actuality, what you said.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, the child would be baptized later upon their profession of faith and with their desire to be baptized. We didn't have a baptismal but we went to the local Baptist church to do it or else we did it at the beach.

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The parenthetical (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, etc,) is simply meant to distinguish between the spiritual cleansing of baptism and the physical cleansing of taking a bath. The resurrection of Christ is the sine qua non of baptism's efficacy.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is a figure. You seem to recognize that. "The spiritual cleansing of the baptism," is done by "spiritual baptism," that is when we are baptized into Christ. Thus the parenthetical (not the putting away of the flesh)

What had happened? Eight souls were saved. How? They were in the Ark, that is in Christ, which the Ark represented. The baptism in the picture was destruction. All around them were waters of destruction wherein all flesh was destroyed: carcasses lying everywhere. Waters from below and from above were meant for the sole purpose of destroying. They were baptized in waters of destruction. That was physical--physical water. When them came out of that water which held nothing but an old life and death and destruction all around them they came out to a new life.

But they were in Christ. It was the ark that kept them safe. They were in the Ark. That is what kept them safe. If I am not making myself perfectly clear, read this quote:

http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/salvatio/bapsav08.htm

6. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Ok, Ann, it would have benn better for me to say 'there are many bigoted Free Presbyterian's' as has been well documented by the press and Christianity Today. However, I had not intention of saying ALL Free Presbyterians are bigots. There are Southern Baptist bigots as well, but certainly not all Southern Baptists are bigots. They have even apologized for their racists and elitist positions during the civil war era.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can retreat now Lori.
    The civil war has ended. There is no one here that is a member of the KKK.
    Slavery has been abolished. You don't need to dig your claws in any further into the past.
    The Free Presbyterians are evangelical and fundamental.
    The Bible Presbyterians are evangelical and fundamental.
    The Baptists that I am associated with are evangelical and fundamental.

The RCC is an apostate organization that does not know the meaning of the new birth, and whose message sends people to hell everyday.
    That is the whole point of this thread isn't it? "Conversion-Immersion" or Baptismal regeneration. It is heresy. Water does not save. That is a superstition that is common among Catholics and Hindus.

8. adisciplinedlearner

adisciplinedlearner New Member

The book of Acts is THE textbook on evangelism/missions, and conversion-immersion was practiced throughout this book. The real heresy is the teaching that there are thousands or perhaps even millions of unbaptized Christians in the world.

9. adisciplinedlearner

Brother DHK, Please show me a person in the New Testament who became a Christian two years before he was baptized. Our beliefs and practices need to be based upon the New Testament.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is slander. I became a Christians two years before I was baptized. Don't redefine terms according to your theology.

11. adisciplinedlearner

Slander? Please show me that your religious experience ever occurred in the New Testament itself. I do not doubt that Jesus has transformed your life. I just doubt that you became a New Covenant Christian two years before you were baptized. At the very least, this is not the New Testament norm.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
    Then the Philippian Jailor believed and was saved.
    Sometime after that, Paul was taken to his house, the rest of his house believed, and then they had a baptismal service. They all believed first.

Saul was saved the moment he called Jesus Lord. No Jew would ever say: "Lord, what would thou have me to do," and still be unsaved. The very thought of an unsaved Jew submitting to Christ as master and Lord of his life is unthinkable. It was some time later that he met Ananias and then was baptized. On the basis that his sins had already been remitted he was baptized.

13. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Whoa!! You have not yet been able to prove your position!!

Your candidates for baptism are unrepentant and unbelievers so why would they suddenly have a change of mind and heart when they step into the waters of baptism and decide to confess repentance from sins and faith in Christ in water and not before?

You can't have your cake and eat it to! Ephesians 4:18 and Romans 7:8 describes the unregenerate state and it denies that while in that condition they are at ENMITY with God. So how do you get someone who is at ENMITY with God to be baptized if that ENMITY is not removed until baptism?

The unregenerate state is a state of rebellion against the authority of God (Rom. 8:7) so how do you get someone who is in rebellion against the authority of God to enter into baptism?

The unregenerate state is a state of incompetency to understand spiritual things and IGNORANCE so how do you get someone blind and ignorant of the spiritual state to enter into the waters of baptism?

DHK's testimony fits scripture as repentance and faith occur BEFORE baptism but your position CANNOT POSSIBLY harmonize with Scripture and YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HARMONIZE IT! So the burden of proof is on you not DHK!

Show anywhere in the book of Acts where unrepentant and unbelievers were baptized?

#93 Dr. Walter, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
  14. adisciplinedlearner

Brother DHK, I agree that the order is repentance, faith, baptism, but baptism does not occur two years later in the New Testament. Also, forgiveness follows baptism (Acts 2:38; Col. 2:12-13). Lost people are going to confess Jesus as Lord, so Saul's use of this term does not prove he was a Christian at this point.

15. adisciplinedlearner

In the New Testament, convicted sinners expressed their repentance and faith in baptism. They became disciples of Christ or Christians upon their baptism. See Acts 2.

16. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The fact is that repentance and faith ALWAYS Precede baptism rather than are concurrent with baptism as you teach: For example John demands "fruit" or proof of repentance BEFORE he would baptize these. If as you say repentance is concurrent with baptism then John is contradicting the very nature of baptism.[/COLOR]

Mt. 3:6 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

For example, Philip demanded PRIOR faith in Christ BEFORE he would baptize the Eunuch:

Acts 8:36 See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

This is the Biblical order not your CONCURRENT repentance/faith/baptism that begins with stepping into the water and concludes by stepping out of the water.

Paul was a repentant believer DAYS BEFORE he was baptized proving neither his repentance and faith proclaimed in "Lord what will thou have me to do" PRECEDED baptism rather than was concurrent in baptism.

What you teach cannot be found in the book of Acts - Baptism inclusive of repentance and faith

1. Biblical order - repentance/faith preceding baptism
    2. You order - baptism (repentance faith)baptism

Your candidates for baptism are unregenerate, unrepentant unbelievers by your own confession. You are the one who has departed/apostatized from the New Testament practice in the book of Acts not DHK.

#96 Dr. Walter, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Well so far adisciplinedlearner:
    You have called me unregenerate,
    My sins were not forgiven,

And you have demonstrated that you have no Biblical understanding of Acts 2:38 or of Paul's own testimony of his salvation.
    That is quite a list.

Understand this.
    If I was unregenerate when I called upon the name of the Lord, that is when I trusted Christ as my Savior, (and as you say I was during those first two years), then I am not saved today. For I have not called on the name of the Lord for salvation since then. According to you I still am an unregenerated wretch on my way to hell with no forgiveness of sins, and no hope for heaven.

Acts 2:38 demands a proper understanding of the Greek preposition "eis", which apparently you don't have. The same word is used in Mat.3:11, where John says "I baptize you unto (for in ASV) repentance." Did he baptize them because they had repented, or in order that they would gain repentance?
    The same is true in Acts 2:38. He baptized on the basis or because their sins had been forgiven, not in order that their sins might be forgiven. A little study goes a long way.

Paul called upon the name of the Lord.
    Paul himself stated in Romans 10:13: "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
    I believe Paul, not you.

18. adisciplinedlearner

I have never said you are not a Christian. You have put words in my mouth.

19. adisciplinedlearner

As I have stated before, "eis" is always forward-looking. There is no such thing as a causal "eis," but this is what most Baptists argue for in Acts 2:38.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your theology demands that you believe I am not a Christian. I never called upon the name of the Lord when I was baptized. If I was not saved two years prior, not saved at the time of baptism, did not call upon the name of the Lord during Baptism, then I am not saved now. For I have not called upon the name of the Lord (that is trusted in him for my salvation) since two years before my baptism, at which time you declared me unsaved. Thus I am still unsaved today. This is your theology. Think through your own logic. There is no way, according to your logic that I could be a saved person. You have concluded that I am unsaved.