1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conviction of Sin or Depression

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by drfuss, Nov 18, 2010.

1. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Yep, my Dad sounds just like the guys here who have no understanding of the helplessness that comes with depression. His version was "snap out of it." Well, until my step-mom experienced it and had to go on meds. Then he just looked dumbfounded about the whole thing. He just can't wrap his mind around a malfunction that he can't see.

Unfortunately, I had to be treated for panic attacks as well. That will complicate things greatly.

That was 18 years ago, and I am still on the medication for depression. I have not taken anything for panic attacks for a few years now. It was something that I felt immediately when it happened, so I could take the meds right away.

I've often wondered if I could quit taking the meds for depression now, hoping that it could be fixed by God, but it is so painful for me if I try and He lets me keep the infirmity. It takes a long time for the meds to become effective if I have to go back on them, it is safer to just stay on them.

All in all, He might have given me the problem to rock my world and bring me to the point where I am today. It is very humbling to a person who's pride used to be as big as all outdoors.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now the Bible is a medical journal :rolleyes:

You do realize this is a proverb or wise sayings, and not concrete biblical truth in every and all circumstances, right?

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Going off cold turkey is decidedly *NOT* recommended.

There are psychological as well as physical dependencies that long term meds of these classes cause.

YES! Jesus can heal you. But, even as a "God Will Heal You!" Charismatic I know enough that instant healing of psychologocal issues is exceedingly rare. (Has to do with the "habit" of our thought processes...)

If you are serious, though, about weaning off the meds, the first step is to find a doctor who is willing to listen and consider the Spiritual side of your life. You also should have your familiy members briefed so that they can get you to your doctor *if* you shift too far too fast.

This is *not* something to do alone. Period.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As in the past...... I don't think you look at many scriptures correctly.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think based on what you have typed here on this thread, the objective reader will disagree with your lame assessment.

6. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Lame is you arguing with others you have before. Got wisdom enough to avoid each other or does your pride get the best of you? Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride comes contention: but with the well advised is wisdom. I don't post to you for a reason....you get ugly.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't realize you held some kind of grudge list of those on the BB. I can honestly say I don't recall the extent of our discussions here...I don't hold grudges and have thick skin. A Jedi Knight would know where the path of hate leads :)

If you don't like the fact Proverbs are wisdom literature and not a medical journal or absolute truth, that's not my issue. I'm sure you can find Proverbs that also show alzheimers, epilepsy and other such conditions are also spiritual issues.

8. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I don't hold a grudge...I avoid certan people who take a diffrent view of scripture and demand that their interpitation is right...or you stupid? Example.... "I'm sure you can find Proverbs that also show alzheimers, epilepsy and other such conditions are also spiritual issues" This is a good example! I don't believe this foolish statment you try to put on me was ment to be kind.

#48 Jedi Knight, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let's see now, you accuse me of "getting ugly"...yet you call me stupid.

Go back to your glass house.

Anyone can pull a random verse to prove anything. If you cannot support your position biblically and instead attack the person calling you out on your poor hermeneutic, there is a fellowship forum here on the BB.

10. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I pointed out how you talk to others as if they are stupid like the example. Nice try dog......your the winner.

#50 Jedi Knight, Nov 26, 2010
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Too many trying to address spiritual problem through physical means."

You alluded to the fact depression was a spiritual problem. Like other physical ailments not having anything to do with spiritual matters, that's an ignorant statement. I sarcastically called you out on your use of a Proverb (you seemed to imply it was immutable truth) to prove this notion physical ailments are spiritual matters. You can address your use of the scripture whenever you like, I mean you are the one that supplied it as your proof text.

12. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I think 90% of depression is caused by circumstances and believe it can become physical if not delt with. I believe that a person who does not have Jesus in their life cannot find hope and true encouragement "spiritually" and can only look to physical solutions as the answer. I am not a name it and claim it healing person. Perhaps you are reading that into my convictions. Is pride a physical issue? No but it can become one if not delt with.....like anger fear ect.

#52 Jedi Knight, Nov 26, 2010
  13. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I am not sure if I would go as high as 90%. But, your point is well taken.

It's not always the trial that hurts us. But, rather our reactions/responses to it.

These responses can be mitigated or amplified by upbringing and our church family.

For every practitioner of the "Buck Up" philosphy there needs to be two practitioners of a "Son of Consolation".

Here's an example from my tech school days. A guys was working at a lab bench and got across some voltage. The voltage was not really all that hazardous. But, when he kicked away from the bench he shattered one of his lower leg bones. The voltage wouldn't have hurt him. But, his reaction sure did.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

-If someone is exhibiting "symptoms of depression," of course the spiritual should be considered. First, in fact. And, because aforementioned "symptoms" could be defined many ways (particularly by the person experiencing them)...it might be issues of guilt, shame, conviction, etc. But then again...it could be more than that.

The two extremes (that some obviously hold here...but both are very problematic):

Extreme #1: Depression is always a 'chemical' issue, and strictly medical solutions are the best ones. (take a pill, see a doctor--that is all.)
    Extreme #2: Depression is always a problem you should "buck up" and "snap out of." No need for any medical help, ever. You're either feeling sorry for yourself, guilty over your sins, or you've got a demon that needs casting out. But it's never an issue that has to do with the brain and/or its operation/chemistry.

Both extremes miss some important factors.

#54 rbell, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Excellent point. My depression was brought on by physical/hereditary factors, was hastened by late nights working and studying and poor eating habits. There were other factors that brought it on, such as mental processes I was taught to hold to and guilt that I didn't need to feel.

But, then again, anxiety and depression ran rampant in my family. It is a medical issue.

Depression can be brought on by a huge number of factors, but when reduced, is a physical imbalance. For people who are clinically depressed, who have lost sense of spiritual reality, there is a very real physical component.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK jaigner, that's enough.

We've agreed twice in a week.

Any more, and people will start talking. :D

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

We ought to try it more often. I'm really not as far out as people seem to think.

18. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

What is this?? eHarmony?? :laugh:

19. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

The distinction (issued by people like the Bobgans) is that since "psyche"="soul", then it applies only psychological problems; usually with the "all you need is regeneration and sanctification" angle.
    It completely ignores that the brain is a physical organ that is affected by chemicals and other factors (such as physical damage). Some of these people actually claim ALL mental illness is a "choice"! Children with ADD only needed to be beaten more to teach them attention, etc. (Also subtly accuses anyone with ongoing psychological problems as not really being saved or sanctified!)

With that said:
    :thumbs: