1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cop who stopped to tell owners car door was open shoots dog dead

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Oct 22, 2015.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

He's all heart.

Police training starts in the academy, where the concept of officer safety is so heavily emphasized that it takes on almost religious significance. Rookie officers are taught what is widely known as the “first rule of law enforcement”: An officer’s overriding goal every day is to go home at the end of their shift. But cops live in a hostile world. They learn that every encounter, every individual is a potential threat. They always have to be on their guard because, as cops often say, “complacency kills.”

Officers aren’t just told about the risks they face. They are shown painfully vivid, heart-wrenching dash-cam footage of officers being beaten, disarmed, or gunned down after a moment of inattention or hesitation. They are told that the primary culprit isn’t the felon on the video, it is the officer’s lack of vigilance. And as they listen to the fallen officer’s last, desperate radio calls for help, every cop in the room is thinking exactly the same thing: “I won’t ever let that happen to me.” That’s the point of the training.

Continue . . . http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/police-gun-shooting-training-ferguson/383681/

A former Arizona police officer, who killed six people during his 12-year career before it ended after the latest shooting, is now selling firearm training simulators that jolt people who hesitate to shoot.

James Peters, former police officer with the Scottsdale PD, applied for “accidental disability retirement” in 2012 after he shot a 50-year-old man in the head with a rifle. The deceased, John Loxas, who was holding his baby grandson in his arms at that moment, had a record of threatening neighbors with firearms.

Peters reported seeing a black object in Loxas’ trouser pocket, believing it to be a handgun. It was actually a phone, but Peters learned that only after killing the man in what he called an action necessary to protect the baby.

The officer left the service and was not charged over the shooting, although Scottsdale paid a $4.25 million settlement to Loxas’ family. Prior to that incident Peters, who served some of his career as a SWAT team member, was involved in six other shootings, it was reported at the time. Five of them were fatal, with none of them ending in prosecution.

Continue . . . https://www.rt.com/usa/313695-killer-cop-shooting-simulator/

Shoot first, justify later. Why take chances?

#21 poncho, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The dog didn't "go after" the cop. The dog is an English Bull Dog. They are well known for being gentle, sociable, and curious especially about newcomers.

The dog came out to sniff the shoes and pant legs of the new arrival. The cop over-reacted and jumped back, causing the dog to step forward. The cop shot the dog before the dog could complete the first step.

There is something called the use of force continuum. It outlines the escalation of force in a situation that requires the use of force. Deadly force is reserved for the use of, or the reasonable anticipation of, deadly force against the officer. A small dog coming out on the porch is not deadly force nor does it constitute the reasonable anticipation of deadly force. The most that could have happened, if the dog were actually attacking, was a bite on the ankle or lower leg. Such dog bites are not deadly force. (Cops sick their much larger and attack trained K9s on people all the time and it is not considered deadly force.)

The cop over-reacted and killed a beloved pet. There is no excuse for that. He should be fired and held both criminally and civilly liable for his unconscionable actions.

Add to that that he left the scene without notifying his supervisor of "shots fired" which is required by P&P (Policy & Procedure Manual) of every law enforcement agency I have ever been involved with. He is required by law to remain on the scene until a supervisor and an investigator arrives and takes his and the victim's statements.

He has to go. His idiotic actions are going to cost the city millions in civil damages.

• Like Like x 1
  3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What abut this guy?

He claims to be "gathering all the facts at this time" but he's already making excuses for this officers actions.

I expect the same outcome with his investigation as the DOJ's investigation of the IRS. Just wanted to be first to make that prediction. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You could ascertain in the 1.2 seconds (approximately) that it took for the dog to run full force at the police officer and the time the cop shot him? I'm sorry but I saw a dog run hard at the man. That is when I personally turn my body in case the dog is going to bite. I've had dogs do that and sometimes they are fine - other times, not so much. Get bit once or twice for no reason and you do become a little more reactive.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I ran the video frame by frame. The dog was not aggressive.
    With no snarl or baring of teeth.
    Exactly! You don't draw your gun and shoot the dog, especially with the dog owner standing so close. He endangered her life by his stupidity.
    So have I. And never had to shoot one.
    Been bit many times. And never was it life threatening so deadly force was NOT legally authorized.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Okay so the dog didn't pose a deadly threat. But what about that menacing 12 inch tall miniature pig that rushed out of the woods towards the other officer? :eek:

Surely he got what he deserved.

#hoofsupdon'tshoot

#26 poncho, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He just shot him down like a dog?

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey zaac, do you think BLM could march and protest this killing too?

There are times, and being a dog lover, I hate to see this happen, when the safety of a cop is more important than the family pet if in fact the pet is going to attack them!

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the u=only thing wrong with the system is folks like you who find fault with everything they do! I find it hard to believe that we serve the same Jesus? But the church is made up of many types! You and I are on different ends of the pew, for sure! Whistling

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You forgot to call him your "Brother"... ;)

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Like a dirty dog!

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dog looked like he came out the door angry and in attack mode. Owners should have kept him away from the door. Impressed with quick draw by the cop.

• Agree Agree x 1