1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Copeland, Dollar fail to meet deadline

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by gb93433, Apr 1, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Posted on Apr 1, 2008 | by Staff WASHINGTON (BP)--Two television ministries still are refusing to comply fully with a U.S. Senate committee's probe into their financial records.

Televangelists Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar failed to provide the requested information by the March 31 deadline, according to a written release from Sen. Charles Grassley, R.-Iowa, the minority leader on the Finance Committee. Sen. Max Baucus, D.-Mont., the committee's chairman, and Grassley had asked Copeland and Dollar, plus fellow televangelist Eddie Long, to submit the documentation they are seeking by the end of March.

The rest of the story at http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=27735

2. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Is the ONLY valid reason to refuse the request because they have something to hide?

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whilst I'm not a fan of either of these characters, I fail to see where congress has the authority to "INVESTIGATE" a religious broadcaster.

What, if any, crimes are they accused of to warrent such?

'Pears to me to be just some more gov't meddling just cause they can.

It's time congress became a part-time job; seems these yokels have too much time & power on their hands for the good of the country.

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Does the fact that they go 501-c or whatever that tax exempt number is for non-profit give them a better chance to investigate? What if they quit using tax exempt status? I'm definitely no fan of either of them. I think if you go exempt from taxes and file non-profit, maybe they should be made to be transparent. If they don't want that just drop the exemption status.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A government out of money will use every pretext or excuse it can to make a little more money.

Seen it in the Philippines.

Never thought I'd see it here in the great US of A.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I recall right when Grassley was interviewed on TV he said that his office had gotten several complaints. I assume it is much likethe Robert Tilton days.

What I find interesting is that people complain about these people being investigated but I wonder how many times Billy Graham has been investigated. He has been around much longer than them.

Years ago when I was pastoring I told the church that they were doing their books wrong. They diagreed until the IRS audited me and found me right and the church wrong.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If they can investigate baseball players...they can investiget anyone :rolleyes:

Gotta love our democratic congress! Just wait if we get a democrat president to go along for the ride!

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It'll be great, won't it! :tonofbricks:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

maybe they will start "investigating" christians to silence us...

10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Only the one's that use the 501C3 tax exemption to fleece people, not legitimate ministers of the Gospel.

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Maybe monkeys will fly out of my hat.

12. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

...and why do they spend all of OUR money chasing these "folks" and chasing after baseball players who put needles in their arms to get all roided up?

Thanks Congress! Thanks for spending millions investigating baseball steroids and these charlatans. We don't need better roads or more cops on the street.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They would probably investigate that too.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Government is doing what govt should be doing. Baseball has been given special anti-trust exemptions. It is Congress' duty to insure that they are within the rules of those exemptions. When a non profit organization files for tax exempt status it is again Congress' duty to make sure they are within the laws for tax exemption. If these organizations are breaking the law they should be subject to the higher power.

My objection to the whole subject is that once government finds a snake they will not stop until they have overturned every stone looking for more. Many that are innocent will be ruined and govt abuse will not abate until all ministries are suspect. Already in this thread some one has questioned Billy Graham's ministry. I think that his ministry is in full discloser at all times, as all should be.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A significant number of Americans always seem shocked when our 'freedoms' lead to abuse... freedom of the press leads to Larry Flynts, freedom of speech and assembly leads to Nazis and Communists staging parades, criminals with overwhelming evidence against them have gone free by claiming they didn't understand their rights when stated to them. There's no reason to expect freedom of religion to be different in that way-- some will hide behind it to their own advantage. I wouldn't care greatly if Congress investigated Flynt or Nazis or Communists, or the judical branch scrapped Miranda; therefore I don't oppose investigations of other abusers and abusive situations.