1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Copyrighting.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Jim508

Jim508 New Member

A number of copyrighted, license-restricted Bible versions are similarly available -- at an online site controlled by the publisher. But if I want to index this text, cross-reference it with itself or another Bible version, or simply provide it on CD-ROM to someone who does not have internet access, sorry, no can do.

As I replied to rsr above, I do appreciate the publishers that have made their Bible versions freely, publically available. The majority, and some of the more popular ones (NIV, NASV) in particular, are not.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a rather hypocritical stance, since every edition of the KJV was protected by copyright upon its initial publication. The copyrights have since expired. However, there are several non-KJV bibles that are not under copyright. The ASV 1901, Webster Translation (1833) and Geneva Bible are a few examples. Several recent translations have been placed in the public domain (no copyright) by the translators. The World English Bible is an example.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, that's pretty much true. An item was generally thought to retain its copyright for about 75 years. In the late 1770's, the KJV would have been over 150 years old. BTW, the Geneva bible was already in public domain in the colonies prior to their Independence. However, King James had made it illegal to own a Geneva Bible in Britain. That was why the Puritans came over here in the first place. They smuggled their Geneva Bibles out of ENgland to escape persecution by King James.

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

No, the Crown Patent in Perpetuity did not expire after 75 years. It is still in effect. Being in the name of the Crown, it will not expire until 50 years after the demise of the British Crown. It was no longer valid in the US simply because the US was no longer part of Great Brittan. The Revolution, you know. [​IMG]

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, you're correct. I was referring to copyrights as they pertained to early US thought. The public-domain Geneva bible was quite popular in the colonies, contrary to claims made by KJVOlaters. The crown-copyright issue was one of the reasons why.

6. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

The Geneva bible, as printed in England, was a pirate copy. Geneva bibles referred to as "the 1599" were unlicensed pirate copies. Only the 1557 and 1560 editions were printed in Geneva.

7. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I agree with Jim somewhat I do believe in copyrighting to protect the sacred texts of the Version and to pay the translators. But I believe the Bible Societies are wrong to charge outragous fees to help them make $$$.

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I received an official letter today from Cambridge University Press, the holders of the copyright on the KJV. The letter reads as follows:

This information is right from the horse’s mouth, rather than from some web page.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Jim508 said:

The price I am looking for is free, for the text (not the commentaries, maps, etc) for electronic distribution.

So in other words, you're sore because you want to take advantage of someone else's hard work in making the ancient text of the Bible available to others, without lifting a finger yourself, and you can't do it without breaking the law.

There's a word for that: laziness.