1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Correcting the Bible on the Fly

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mr Mike, Mar 1, 2005.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Apparently it is irrelevant nonsense to many 'believers' as well. But at exactly what point did you get the idea that scripture was supposed to be 'relevant' to unbelievers?

2. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I don't think you guys really understand how KJVO my church is...

No one is allowed to use any other translation from the pulpit and supposedly in the classrooms...

We will not support missionaires that do not ONLY use the KJV (unless of course they are related to a member in which case they are supported buy not publicly)...

My pastor has about 40 pamphlets/books on why the KJV is God's only Word and only 1 book (Carson??? The KJV ONly Debate - A Plea for Realism") that is against KJV Onlyism. Someone gave them this book about 10 years ago.. and he said that after 2 pages if he believed what it said he would leave the ministry (I'm sure he was exagerrating)...

When reading Wilmington's Guide to the Bible (Excellent resource by the way) he comments that he hates seeing stuff like "A better translation is ..." or "It should say..."... (funny now that I see he does it unknowingly)...

Actually allowed to have some of av1611's literature posted in the church's tract box on how the NKJV and NIV are Satanic until I showed him that their were blatant misrepresentations and lies in the pamphlets...

Are you serious mioque??? Where/How/Why in the world would you conclude that from the KJV's translation???

Should it be necessary to memorize/remember/reference traditions when the only thing that really needs to done is re-translate the words into their proper meaning??

I'm not sure what you mean by this... can you amplify???

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Attention KJVOs. You may want to copy these statements to be used when the assertion is made that, "No one is attacking the KJV itself, we're just attacking KJVonlyism."

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I believe that Christians need to tell the truth about all the translations of the Bible. And the difference between KJOists and MVists is not that KJOists attack other translations and the MVists do not, but that MVists tell the truth and the KJOists do not.

And of course there is very much difference between stating an undeniable true fact about the King James translation of the Bible and maliciously lying about "modern versions," posting a vast quantity of false information and calling "modern versions" satanic.

[​IMG]

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tight out of Webster's

1. informal interchange of thoughts, information, etc., by spoken words; oral communication between persons; talk; colloquy.
    2. an instance of this.
    3. association or social intercourse; intimate acquaintance.
    4. See criminal conversation.
    5. the ability to talk socially with others: She writes well but has no conversation.
    6. Obs.
    a. behavior or manner of living.
    b. close familiarity; intimate acquaintance, as from constant use or study.

Now out of the KJV

Phil. 3:20, "For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ"

Anyone ever erad the dictionary when it reads "obs.?"

Foe the KJVO's: is the word conversation used correctly in a way that is not obsolete?

6. Anti-Alexandrian

Done and done Pastor_Bob.

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AV 1611 Jim: Um........Roby?
    The KJV is good news for this man also! In its pages is EVERYTHING I need to know for faith and godliness:D

The Model-T is all the car I need to get me from Point A to Point B, but I drive a new Taurus, which is MUCH more comfortable.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Mike:

Looks as if the leaders of your church have become so set in their ways that they refuse to see the overwhelming evidence against st the KJVO myth. While I certainly don't think that's evil, it certainly is a view from the past.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The WISE pastor who preaches from the KJV would be remiss if he didn't explain some of the wording of the KJV, same as one hasta explain certain passages of secular literature from that time.

I've heard more than one telepastor use some of the more lame KJVO mantras such as the Psalm 12:7 thingy. This tells me he needs to spend more time STUDYING so he might quit misinforming his flock.

10. manchester

manchester New Member

In Ruth 3, what does it mean that she "made herself known" to the man? And what does it mean that she uncovered his "foot"? And in what manner did he act as a kinsman redeemer?

11. manchester

manchester New Member

God's Word says that premarital sex is wrong. But some of the older translations hide this truth, never condemning "premarital sex" but using vague terms unknown to many such as "fornication." So many are led astray, thinking the Bible does not condemn premarital sex, only adultery.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature".

HankD

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Ed, was going to post the same idea while reading the OP. Many times I have heard MV preachers read a verse, then use a phrase like, "another way of saying this, or the KJV says..." </font>[/QUOTE]I have never heard anyone say that. I have only heard preachers read the text and give his interpretation of what it means and how it applies to our life today.

14. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hogwash. Fornication covers all forms of illicet sexual intercourse outside the bounds of marriage - including pre-marital sex, adultery, beastiality, ...

15. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Ok... Tongiht was the first night of our week long annual Missions Conference where we have those that are on deputation seeking support come in and tell us about themselves and preach. This is one of my favorite times of the year, mainly because you get to hear some really good preaching from lots of different people. If anyone has read may previous posts in this topic, they are aware that my church would be of the KJVo position and that they only support those that are. Now the guy that spoke tonight didn't make any comments about MV's or KJVonlyism, however I thought it might be interesting to see if he also corrected the KJV.... Well the passage was Matthew 28:16-20.

Matthew 28:18
    KJV: "power"
    Preacher said: "this comes from the greek word &lt;insert greek word here ????&gt; which means authority"
    NASB: "authority"

Matthew 28:19
    KJV: "teach"
    Preacher said: "this word teach is very important. The word used here is the verb form of the word used for disciple. There really is no english word for like 'discipleize' but it means to make disciples out of people"
    NASB: "make disciples" (lol looks like there might be an english word for it after all)

Matthew 28:20
    KJV: world
    Preacher said: "the word world here doesn not talk about the word for the cosmos. It talks about the end of time. The end of all time for believers"
    NASB: age

Total 5 verses 3 corrections

What's kind of funny is that the corrections of verses 18 and 20 are usually used as evidence against the MVs... saying stuff like... "the modern versions take power away from Jesus. He has much more than just authority. He is God incarnate and omnipotent all powerful creator"

Riplingler on page 285 of new age bible versions says " In the new bibles, the world doesn't end, the age simply ends and another begins. If the world ends, the sinner has nothing to stand on; if the age ends, he merely changes his calendar..."

I don't know a lick of greek, but I thought she said that she was able to read greek. I would think she would realize that the word age their is another way of saying all time. Plus there is no mention of another "age" beginning in any MV that I know of.

(Disclaimer: The quotes where I say Preacher said may not be exact word for word)

robocop said
    I wouldn't say that the refuse to see the overwhelming evidence, they just don't see a need to look for evidence against using the KJV. I wasn't out and about back when this whole debate began, but I'm sure feelings were hurt on the KJV side when people began telling them that what they had was insufficent. This backlash against MVs might be the result of that??? Just a thought.

16. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

So is anyone else that goes to a KJVo Church wanting to join in on this little experiment??? I'd really like to see what its like at others. I know TC said somthing about only hearing preachers read the text and give his interpretation of it, but I would challenge even those that feel this way just to try it out and see if that is always the case.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I have heard MV preachers "correct on the fly" as it were. Big deal. :rolleyes:
    What idiot DOESN'T ?
    Here is an example fer ya.
    Can you tell me what "overweening" is? Check your MV at Is 16:6.
    How about "porphyry"? Try Est. 1:6.
    And "terebinth"? Try Hos 4:13.
    And "cors"? Try 1 Kin. 4:22.

My point? I think you are grinding an axe that is already sharp enough, i.e. the KJV. :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

BTW; If you got such a problem with your pastor, perhaps you ought to go to him and if you STILL have a problem, perhaps you would be more at home in a MV church.

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I could, of course, post hundreds of thousands of very well documented consequences, but since you asked for only one, here it is:

1. Eternity in hell. The King James translation of the Bible is such a grossly outdated translation that to many unbelievers it makes the Bible sound like very old, irrelevant nonsense.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]__________________________________________________

What difference would that make to an UNBELIEVER? They don't BELIEVE anyhow. And your example is woefully inadequate anyway because that is EXACTLY what Jesus preached.
    ETERNITY IN HELL FOR UNBELIEVERS.

As Pastor Bob pointed out so efficiently Craig, YOU have a problem with the KJV. Not just KJVo. And THAT is a place I certainly would not want to be. Your constant ungodly ATTACKS on that blessed Book are no different than the rabid KJVo's who come in here and post vitriol and then leave. Perhaps you should take a cue from them. [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many of the words in the KJV have changed meaning over time therefore it is no longer recognized as an accurate translation. The words need to be updated to the common meaning as recognized today in a standard English dictionary that doe snot classify the words as obsolete.

Any translation of any document is only valid until the words change meaning.

Amazes me how the KJVO's do not use obsolete English when they speak and write. They use modern language with modern meanings yet persist in their dogmatism for a Bible using obsolete words that have changed meaning.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Amazes me how the KJVO's do not use obsolete English when they speak and write. They use modern language with modern meanings yet persist in their dogmatism for a Bible using obsolete words that have changed meaning.

GB;
    And what is EQUALLY amazing to me is that folks will say things like you just did, yet will be the FIRST to holler about needing a language that has been dead for nigh onto 1800 years!

Strange ain't it? You guys holler about a living language that has changed actually very little in 400 years and yet go running to a dead language.

See my point? Can you at least see my point of view at all? I think I understand yours. I don't agree with it, but I DO understand it. I think you fellers don't even TRY to understand our point of view. If I am wrong, then I retract. Can you show me that I am wrong in my assessment of your mind set?

In HIS service;
    Jim