1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Counting my money

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other day, I stopped at the bank drive thru to cash two small checks (about $70).

After giving me the envelope, I counted the $$ to confirm the correct amount. Mrs Salty said I should have pulled away (to allow the next customer access). I told her it is best to count it with the clerk looking on in the rare event of a mistake. Mrs Salty said by doing so I was not trusting the clerk.

So, what do you do at a drive in (or even the counter for that matter) Do you leave than count, or do you count in the presence of the clerk.

Just wondering.

Salty

ps no we did not make a bet on this and there is no threat of the "D" word:laugh:

2. billreber

billreber New Member

It is appropriate to count your money when you get it back, no matter how many people are behind you in line. After all, we are all sinners, and are prone to make mistakes. I am positive that the clerk would have no problem in you doing so.

I have regular business relations with a local bank, and I know for a fact that THEY count the money to verify the amount stated is accurate. They even count it out to you if you go inside. Why should YOU not do so, when you are using the drive-thru window, where they cannot count it out to you?

Bill :godisgood:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

They do make mistakes. My son once cashed his pay check and opened his envelope once he was back in the car, it had $200. too much. I made him take it back in(he was 16 at the time.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I always count mine before I pull away, no matter how many are waiting.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I count my "bula-bula" before I drive off

Blackbird

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I count my dollar-two-ninety-eight before I drive off too. AND... I watch the teller count it out through the window. Every now and then they do make mistakes. Of course, every now and then I make mistakes!

7. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Mistakes cause people.

8. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I don't think it is a case of not trusting the teller. He/she is human and can make an occasional error. If it happens to be in the bank's favor, you are in trouble if you drive away and do not count in front of the window (and holding up the money as you count for the teller to observe is helpful) Although, at the end of the day your honesty will show up when the teller does not balance.

Again, mistakes happen and sometimes newer bills stick together, and if it happens to be in your favor, you will save that teller a lot of pain and agony at the end of the day when trying to balance if you catch it for them right then! :thumbs:

Also, how many of us check our grocery receipts before leaving the store? I think many of us do, and it is not a case of not trusting the checker. It's just that we are all fallible and mistakes happen!!

#8 PamelaK, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
  9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

God causes people.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't use a drive through. But I do check my $$ at the teller or at the ATM (but then again, who would I complain to there??).

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think of it this way:
    What if you pull ahead to let the next car have a turn, only to count your money and find a mistake? Then you'd have to park the car right there, in the way, and go back to the window which would be even more lengthy and embarassing. I'd rather take a few extra seconds to recount, smile at the teller and say "thanks" and leave. Much easier and doesn't cause a scene or embarass anyone.

12. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always count my $$ before pulling away.

I also check my bag of food before pulling away from a restaurant drive thru. :smilewinkgrin:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Hopefully a mod will leave this:

After much prayer and fasting, I am offering my services to all BB members. After getting your checks cashed, send it to me, and I will count it multiple times and make sure I am right...er, it is right.

Trust me... [​IMG]

14. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: :laugh: