1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Court upholds church use of hallucinogenic tea

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ben W, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Updated: 1:11 p.m. ET Feb. 21, 2006

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Tuesday that a small congregation in New Mexico may use hallucinogenic tea as part of a four-hour ritual intended to connect with God.

Justices, in their first religious freedom decision under Chief Justice John Roberts, moved decisively to keep the government out of a church’s religious practice. Federal drug agents should have been barred from confiscating the hoasca tea of the Brazil-based church, Roberts wrote in the decision.

The tea, which contains an illegal drug known as DMT, is considered sacred to members of O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal, which has a blend of Christian beliefs and South American traditions. Members believe they can understand God only by drinking the tea, which is consumed twice a month at four-hour ceremonies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11188277/?GT1=7756

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Do you suppose they drink the tea at the beginning of the service, or at the end?

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If you take the tour at Celestial Seasonings in Boulder, they tell you about how the founder started out picking "wild herbs" growing along the Rocky Mountains to make his special tea.

I have always wondered what made those herbs so special! [​IMG]

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Odd. The Religious Freedoms Restoration Act (signed by President Clinton, and rejected by the Rheinquist Court) was in part meant to permit the use of such substances in legitimate religious cermonies.

Could it be that Roberts is going to jerk the court back toward freedom for citizens, and less power for the government?

Wouldn't be the first time a politically-motivated nomination backfired.

5. standingfirminChrist

Get high in the name of the Lord?

Wasted for Jesus?

New Age

Sad

6. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I think I see some major church growth in that church. Interesting! lol

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I remember when peyote was disallowed in native American religious rites. I wonder if that decision will be revisited as it seems to contradict this one.

On a related note, does this mean the new justices have unusual disregard for let standing previous decisions?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

not unusual disregard, total disregard which equals bye bye roe

9. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what happens when some other 'church' insists other illegal activities are part of their 'religious practices'? eg, use of other drugs, polygamy, physical disciplin, physical and mental abuse, depravation of liberty ..... and a whole host of other things I'm sure you can think of better than me.

Regards
    Bob

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Utah Supreme Court ruled a couple months ago to allow a native american to use peyote in his ceremonys.