1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

cpmsky question

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by thjplgvp, Oct 6, 2008.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I keep getting pop up ads. I am pretty sure I have found the file responsible but it will not allow me to erase it. It is in the system32 and it is titled urddcnfwjxjk.dll

Any suggestions on how to eliminate this bothersome thing. I have scanned it with spybot and AVG Pro both tell me it is not a virus but It won't go away.

Thanks in advance for your help.

thjplgvp

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couple possibles.

1. Right click on the file and try to rename it .old instead of .dll and try to delete it if you rename it.

2. Right click and choose properties and see if you can change the attributes.

3. Download adaware or other adware scanner, allow it to scan and see if it can deal with it or find something else.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

It did allow me to rename it but it would not allow me to change its attributes. A window pops up and tells me that another program is using it. Do you think that might be my IE?

thjplgvp

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    more than likely, it's actually another program that uses the dynamic link library (dll) you identified. Try re-starting your computer, and then changing the name of the .dll file to .old before you connect to the internet. If you're still getting the "file in use" error, then there's another program that's starting when Windows boots up, that's using that file.

You say you used Spybot and AVG Pro; not meaning to insult your intelligence, but when was the last time you updated both of these?

Last thing off the top of my head is, give this website a read: http://www.technibble.com/common-spyware-application-processes/

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Thanks for the help. I went to the file before going on the internet and it allowed me to delete it after renaming it to a .old.

thjplgvp

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question is: Did that fix it? Some of the nastier spyware things will re-write the file...

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Yes that did fix it. I have rebooted several times just to make sure and it is gone.

Here is short diary of what was done.

I know when the ads started popping up so I went into windows/system32 and asked for all the files to be shown installation dates.

I identified 4 files that were created on that date.

I ran google and checked to see what each file was.

two of the files were unheard of so I checked properties and found that one of them actually showed its originator as cpmsky. I deleted that one but the other I could not delete and did not know how to change the attributes. (it used to be a easy to change the attributes)

I took the advice offered from the posters here and renamed the file george.old and then deleted it prior to accessing the Inet.

thanks again for your advice.

thjplgvp