1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crazy George?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Daisy, Oct 18, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't find the evidence presented to be sufficiently compelling. I'm quite sure that if I was filmed as much as a president is that instances could be found where I sound brilliant and instances could be found where I sound like I have had a frontal lobotomy. I am a few years younger that President Bush and I am certainly not as good at talking and making points as I was ten years ago. But I have always written better than I speak.

So while I find the clips interesting I am not going to make a judgment based on them.

2. Enoch

Enoch New Member

3. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Ladies and gentlemen, my nomination for funniest (or most ironic) remark of 2004...

From Tragic Pizza to Daisy:

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Sounds like two different people. Part of it could be that early Bush was working from a script, and the later examples are Bush speaking extemporaneously.

These could just be a case of putting the mouth in gear before the brain is engaged.

I sure hope so.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Funny, isn't it. On a point-by-point basis, I probably disagree with Daisy more than almost anyone else here. But disagreement is what makes it good to discuss, which is what the board is about.

More ironic still is that the people with whom I lock horns are those who probably agree with me on most issuhes, but, IMO, insist on supporting political personalities who work against our agenda.

And, I must admit that even though we disagree, most liberals love their country just as much, and often we can recognize common enemies...if not deceived by blind partisanship or cultish devotion to a politician or group.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Thanks, KenH, for your thoughtful answer.

That's true, these are selected short clips, but they are from specific, comparable events - formal debates.

I was more surprised by the old Bush than the present one. Perhaps that bit from the Richards-Bush debate was Bush at his highest, brightest moment. That is why I provided the C-Span link to a more representative, longer bit - to show that he wasn't always like he is now.

Did you see the first Kerry-Bush debate? He prepared for it. As the incumbent president, Bush should have the advantage of being deeply involved and knowledgable about the issues on a daily basis for the past several years.

Some people have made excuses such as he was tired, he was stressed out. But being president is a tiring, stressful job. Is he fit to handle it?

Have you changed as much as he has? Do you interrupt yourself? Do you begin your answers with a open-mouthed blank stare into space? Bush Sr, who was no great shakes as a speaker on his best day, can talk circles around his present-day son.

Of course.

But listen and watch, and keep the question in mind.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Look at the clips first, then laugh and tell me I'm worried for nothing. I could use some reassurance that it's nothing to be concerned about.

Ok?

8. Pennsylvania Jim

Getting back to the point, being President of the USA has to be the most stressful job in the world. It takes someone with strength and energy, as well as a good grasp of government and management akills.

I think what you see in Bush is the result of being in over his head. I hope that he gets the guts and humility to clean out the bad people around him and replace them with Americans. That would help him, if we must suffer with him another four years.

9. Pennsylvania Jim

I wouldn't mind hearing from a Bush-booster what they think of the clip, after they've viewed it, in his favor. </font>[/QUOTE]They'll think he looks just super.

10. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Not "scared" at all. Disinterested. What interested me was the boo-hooing about "attacking the messenger" who offered up her own remarks beside the message.

Ken is usually a voice of reason, but here he has jumped in the boat of hollow accusation. Surprises me a bit.

And I thought Terry had turned over a new leaf. He was doing well for a few weeks, and now it's back to this.

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Nobody boo-hooed, Gershom. It's generally considered good form for the openning poster to offer a comment on what she's presenting and bad form to attack her for it (even if she did word her comment provocatively). I was, and still am, trying to keep the thread on track.

I'm curious why you're uninterested in hearing your own guy speak. I think you're chicken (she clucked).

Suppose I'm correct in my assessment and he really does have diminished cognitive capacity - would you still continue to support him in his bid for re-election? Hypothetically speaking...

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Is the clip supposed to show his poor ability to speak publically?

13. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

There's an old Chinese saying that I find applicable.

"An Empty Jug Makes the Loudest Noise."

That would be Kerry for the slow thinkers.

Plus a personal example. As one who has been interviewed by Journalists and then been misquoted I can assure you that it is difficult to speak publicly when you know that everything you say is going to be analyzed and revised and organized to put you in the worst possible light.

Think about it.

Who has to be more careful these days?

Bush or Kerry?

Bush of course because he has the most to lose if he mispeaks or is perceived to mispeak.

Kerry can say anything because he has everything to gain and nothing to lose if he mispeaks.

For those of us who are public speakers we know the truth. There are days when the words flow like water from a spigot and there are days when you have to search for them and can't even find the spigot.

14. ballfan

ballfan New Member

I like to hear Bush speak. He is always optimistic. More like Reagan.

If you like the complete downer but more technically correct speech then you go with Kerry, Carter, or a myriad of other Democrats.

15. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

My favorite is Jimmy Carter!

During a recent interview with Charlie Gibson, the former president asserted that "there was no need for the Revolution." He states that, essentially it was all a big mis-understanding. The British just 'mis-understood' us and we over-reacted. If we had just been patient, he contends that we would have received our independence just as most other British Colonies did such as Canada and Australia.

And then he said, "I weally didn't kill that wabbit with the boat paddle, I weally didn't, it was just a vast wightwing conspiwacy"
    :D

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's a wonderfully colorful way of putting it.

However, in this case the contrast is too great to ignore, imo. Did you view the clip, Hardsheller? You're a thoughtful guy - perhaps you'll agree with KenH, that it's nothing.

Have you ever had an important speaking engagement, one that you prepared for, where you just couldn't find the spigot? I don't do public speaking, so I don't have any idea how common that is.

Of the recent debates, which was the best - the second or the third? He spoke well on the third one, right? I think I need to go back and watch it again.

17. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, not exactly - it's supposed to show that he used to have really sound, solid ability which is now gone.

18. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

AS happens with all public speakers from time to time. Ask one.

19. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Is that your joke or his? Yours, I think, because he didn't kill the rabbit, but merely fended it off.

Reagan had the ability to tell jokes on himself, well-honed, but I've never heard Carter do it. I like Carter, he's one of the best expresidents we've had, but his speeches are excruciatingly tedious.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

:confused: I did, you (the spigot question). I'll take your word for it. [​IMG]