1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Credible Online Degree Programs

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Oct 28, 2005.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

WOW! Jay Adams, who was a student of Andrew Blackwood and whose first area of expertise is preaching (taught Westminster's D.Min. course in preaching for years), highly recommends this book. I know a guy, not me, who paid $80 for an old copy off the Internet last year. It was the only one available on an ABE's search. I didn't realize it had been reprinted. That's good!

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Rhet ,
    I was speaking of the SB church that has shown an interest in you as pastor.Also I would think with all of your teaching,writing, and mentoring that your plate is quite full. Pastoring is a whole other thing.I suspect you are producing reproducers where you are teaching.That is a good calling.I am not trying to discourage you but it seems to me if you are to be a pastor you would want to go at it full bore and that would be very time and energy consuming.This is just my personal opinion but I think anybody who is truly called to be a pastor would put in less then a fulltime week(to me fulltime pastors put in about 60 hours).

At any rate God bless you and your work.As always you are in my prayers.

Bill

4. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

==That is correct. Liberty's MDiv is offered online. While Liberty is a great school it has some weaknesses on this point. Let me explain. First their distance MDiv does not have but two language courses (one Greek, one Hebrew) and those are only language tools courses (they have no plans to add more language courses to the dlp program for now, though it has been discussed). This means that a graduate for their MDiv (online) program would not be qualified to enter their ThM program (or any other advanced program). Of course one could attend regular courses on campus and earn the language courses if needed. Secondly only one MDiv concentration can be earned 100% online (Church Ministries). All other online concentrations require some on campus time due to the fact that all the classes are not yet offered online (this would include the Biblical Studies, Leadership, Evangelism, and Pre-Pastoral concentrations). However Liberty has no residency requirements for online students. I guess it is sort of a catch-22.

Martin </font>[/QUOTE]Martin,

Thx. Do you know the cost/unit for their distance MDiv program? I looked at the LTS website but could not find specific info. there - must not know where to look.

FA

5. Brice

Brice New Member

6. Brice

Brice New Member

DLP per hour is $185 (M.DIV).

7. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Thx,

And there is a technical fee of $125 or $135 paid at the beginning of ea. semester. Seems a little high to me for a distance, online program. Is it?

Thx,

FA

8. Brice

Brice New Member

I don't personally think so, but that is only my opinion. In LU's case, they are accredited and reputable. Seminary is not cheap (I'm sure you know this already). I beleive UZTHD went to seminary (online) from South Africa. He saved a great amount of money by doing this, so that might be an option. I'm sure he could give you some great information. Also, in the states they offer financial aid in the form of grants, etc. Here are some other examples of cost -

DTS - http://www.dts.edu/prospective/feesandexpenses.aspx
    TuitionMaster's degree programs, fall and spring

1–4 hours, per semester hour $400
    5–8 hours, per semester hour $370
    9–11 hours, per semester hour $345
    12+ hours, per semester hour* $310

Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary - http://www.mabts.edu/templates/cusmabts/details.asp?id=23267&PID=69970Tuition and Fees for Associate and Masters Level Courses

2004-2005 2005-2006
    1 course $270
    $290

2 courses $440
    $480

3 courses $610
    $670

4 courses $780
    $860

5 courses $950
    $1050

Special term $270
    $290

Those are a few examples, so LU isn't unreasonable.

Hope this helped. God Bless.

9. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Yes, thanks all.