1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

creeds

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So creeds are just basically something we say mindlessly because that's what our pastor said. I know that's what you are NOT saying.

I'll be gone for most of the rest of the day for a community thanksgiving dinner we're doing. So please talk kindly about me while I'm gone. :smilewinkgrin:

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Take a breath. Look at what I said. I said as a treatise on Christian theology it is disorganized. The Book of Matthew is organized. So is each individual book. And there is a scheme to the arrangement of the books in the Bible.

But . . .

If you were to write a paper on the Trinity, or on the Holy Spirit, or on Christ, or on Baptism, Repentance, Faith, etc. there is no one book or chapter you could go to for a complete or really concise answer. These subjects are in bits and pieces throughout all of Scripture.

You're welcome.

Seriously . . . ? I mean where in the kingdom of spuds did you come up with this?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That all depends on the price of rice in China.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    exactly this is why churches aproach creeds with knit gloves.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, you're right, I misread what you wrote. I was wrong about what you said and I am sorry.

I still disagree about creeds. I still think the best way to teach both new and mature believers is thru a solid exposition of the Bible not a creed that is very much tied to the time in which it was written. But the Scripture as unsystematic as you may believe it to be about doctrinal issues - and I disagree about your characterization - is still the best and only inerrant way of dealing with the wrong doctrinal issues we face today.