1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cultural significance to warfare

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Stratiotes, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

The guerrilla war discussion got me thinking of another topic - what are some significant cultural differences in war? For instance, is there a great impact in the differences of Clausewitz in the west and SunTzu in the east and what impact does it have on how wars are fought by the two?

Here's an example on this point to illustrate:
    The Acme of Skill

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Interesting paper, Stratiotes.

3. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

If you enjoy that concept, you'll like the work of Col. John Boyd and his "disciples" at the
    Defense and National Interest site. Especially check out the Swift Elusive Sword book that you can find thru the library or thru that website.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Most every war is for the purpose of stealing assets. The Muslim wars are for the purpose of killing, not stealing. This hasn't happened since Joshua took Jerico.

5. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

I don't think that's quite accurate. To assume an enemy is acting without logic is the first step to underestimating and never defeating him.

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I wonder what Sun Tzu would have made of the Truman doctrine, and "containment", the long-term (and successful) plan to defeat the Soviet Union by simply limiting its growth without a general war.

George Marshall also seems to have grasped Clausewitz's notion of war as an extension of diplomacy. The Marshall plan was as much a dagger aimed at the heart of the Warsaw Pact, as it was a means of reconstructing Europe. We now know that he had provided funds within the plan for secretly undermining pro-marxist groups in Western Europe, and for fomenting dissatisfaction within the Warsaw pact.

7. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

One of Sun Tzu's maxim is that the true acme of skill is to win without fighting. Defeat the enemy strategy and it will not be necessary to defeat his army - I think the cold war defeat of the Soviet Union was closer to the Sun Tzu ideal than the bloodletting of Korea or Vietnam.