1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cutting words not only from Coulter

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

Speaking of muslims Ann Coulter said, "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

I guess I can see how that might crack someone up. After all, there are undoubtedly also folks who think the Crusdades and Spanish Inquisition were funny.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daisy, it's not like you to be deliberately dishonest, so I'm going to chalk this one up to a case of overexhuberant liberalism.

FOX News did not sue Franken over the facts of the book or lack thereof, and you should know it.

3. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Interesting - this is simply an engaging debate based on the musings of people whom have made themselves household names for little reason other than they have made an appearance on TV.

I dont watch much tv. Are people so hungry for guidance that they will follow whomever is speaking the loudest and cry out against those who wear the wrong accessories with their 400 dollar suits? Why do you all put so much stock in these things?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

source please

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.lyingliar.com/lies/jesus.htm

"In an odd way, I blame Linda Tripp and Ann Coulter for 9/11"

- Al Franken. The O'Franken Factor. April 2, 2004. Context: in reference to the attention placed on the Lewinski scandal (accusations of sexual misconduct, lying under oath, etc) being at fault for 'distracting' Clinton during the years that the 911 terrorist attacks were being plotted.

"When the U.S. talked to Sudan, there was no such offer. The U.S. pursued every lead and tried to negotiate. Nothing." Al Franken in his book "Lies"

The fact is (summed up by Rich Lowry) that: "Sudan offered to give bin Laden to Saudi Arabia, which would have meant his demise. But the U.S. didn't push the Saudis to accept, so bin Laden went to Afghanistan instead, giving him the safe sanctuary that would be crucial to his 9/11 plot."

And ABC News even reported that Janet Reno too turned down the 911 mastermind (my emphasis):
    "Federal agents seeking bin Laden had developed a plan to have a plane fly in and attack a compound in Kandahar, Afghanistan, where the terror leader was believed to have been holed up back in 1998 — three years before the devastating attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. But when the plan went up the chain of command for approval, it was killed by then-Attorney General Janet Reno. 'They came to the decision that this plan was probably too dangerous, that the loss of life on the ground would have been significant,' (former FBI agent Jack) Cloonan said. 'There was concern that people around the bin Laden compound would be killed.'"

http://www.lyingliar.com/

Is this the Al Franken you defend?

#25 Revmitchell, Jul 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2006
  6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's swell of you, carpro.

My mistake - I thought O'Reilly sued him.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hint: Satire
    How do you explain satire to someone who doesn't understand the concept or pretends that they don't?

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Must be nice in Hawaii . . . peaceful . . . no tv . . . got any openings?

Wayne

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Most often satire can be defined by an oxymoron trying to impress everyone with their armani suit, liberal politics, absolute intolerance of the USA, and any thing else that you might like me to place under satire?

Those making money by political satire should hold themselves responsible for the diatribe they publish. Else we should hold them responsible when extremists respond by blowing up things - send the satirist the bill and when they won't pay, have them work off the debt by making license plates.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PS

I really don't like many of the modern 'journalists'. They add anger to topics that tend to make people agitated anyway. (Like the 'news show' about how we should give homosexuals the 'freedom' to marry on abc last night).

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Satire 101
    There are several types of satire, and Franken's political humor falls into none of them:
    Diminution: Reduces the size of something in order that it may be made to appear ridiculous or in order to be examined closely and have its faults seen close up. For example, treating the Canadian Members of Parliament as a squabbling group of little boys is an example of diminution.
    Gulliver's Travels
    is a diminutive satire.

Inflation: A common technique of satire is to take a real-life situation and exaggerate it to such a degree that it becomes ridiculous and its faults can be seen, and thus satirical. For example, two boys arguing over a possession of a car can be inflated into an interstellar war.
    The Rape of the Lock is an example of inflation.

Juxtaposition: Places things of unequal importance side by side. It brings all the things down to the lowest level of importance on the list. For example, if a guy says his important subjects in school include Calculus, Computer Science, Physics, and girl-watching, he has managed to take away some of the importance of the first three. The Rape of the Lock is also an example of juxtaposition.

Parody: Imitates the techniques and style of some person, place, or thing. Parody is used for mocking or mocking its idea of the person, place, or thing.
    Monty Python
    is an example of parody.

How can he be a 'satirist' then?
    When co-hosting on CNN's Crossfire, Tucker Carlson introduced Franken by saying: "filling in on the left is political activist and writer Al Franken." Why didn't Franken correct him by saying "Well, I'm really a satirist"?
    Franken gets away with his vicious personal attacks laced with profanity and crude, insult hate speech because he says he's writing 'political satire.' What exactly is satire? Political satire? Well, its text book definition reads differently than what most people think it is. The term 'satire' brings to mind Saturday Night Live, The Onion magazine, Alice in Wonderland, Gulliver's Travels. - But Al Franken? The previous works are all fiction. Satire is socially defined as being synonymous with fiction. But the real definition?
    1. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
      1. The branch of literature constituting such works.
    2. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.
    This is how Franken gets away with being a 'satirist' when he is really an activist. Franken found a unique way to smear people and not be accountable for it.

You can spot left leaning reporting when any news reporter or columnist calls Al Franken a 'satirist' instead of the more accurate title of 'activist & writer/author'. Applying the term 'satirist' to Franken is misleading. Says Bill O'Reilly:
    Attempting to smear and destroy the reputations of those with whom you politically disagree is not satire. If that were the case, Richard Nixon's Watergate plumbers would all be writing for "Saturday Night Live."

Attacking people personally and smearing their integrity, as long as its with jokes, is technically 'satire' and thus Franken tarnishes the word while tarnishing reputations.

"But it's all a joke!"
    All quotes I've heard: "Why would anyone go after an Al Franken book?? The guy is a comedian! Don't you people like to laugh? Can't you take a joke??" Sure. I can take a joke just fine. But Franken's political books aren't playful. They're vicious. Franken mixes things he makes up with real accusations of serious charges that smear peoples reputations.

"But it's all a joke"? No it's not. Said Alex Jones, the former New York Times reporter and Pulitzer Prize winner who is now the center’s director:
    “I would not have allowed a book that I consider frivolous,” Jones explained. “What Al Franken had in mind was a serious book. It has a skin of humor, but it is a thoroughly researched book.” Besides calling him a 'satirist' - “I take him seriously,” said Jones.

And plenty of others do to. That is the point. Franken WANTS you to take his book seriously as a serious indictment of serious liars who seriously lie about serious things. The fact that the arguments are presented with jokes around them doesn't make ok.

www.lyingliar.com

12. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

Now that's rich. We have a party that has excelled at the art of the political smear from the days of Chuck Colson to Lee Atwater to Karl Rove. And having no conscience, much less an ounce of integrity, it doesn't seem to have mattered to these conservative smear merchants if some of the subjects of their deliberate lies and falsehoods had served their country honorably in fields of battle, sometimes at the cost of their own limbs.

What I see in your post is a feeble attempt by the pot to call the kettle black. Frankly, I find the mixing of the politics of the Republican party with the message of Christian gospel to be repugnant, if not blasphemous. Is it any wonder, then, that I left my Southern Baptist church over this very issue long ago?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are refering to the cartoon with "suply side Jesus" in it. You are right it is blasphemous. However that is a cartoon by Al Franken. I did not present that in a favorable light nor do I care for it. And neither would the SBC. I am certain that those who defend Franken as a satirist on this board do not care for that blasphomous cartoon as well.

#33 Revmitchell, Jul 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2006
  14. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I used to be a Southern Baptist too but now am an American Baptist. I'm moving back to the south soon but could never rejoin the SBC because of their deep entanglement with the Republican party. I believe that Christians should never associate with any political party but should speak out on moral issues. Dr. Mohler and his ilk as well as the far right faction that seized power in the SBC don't agree, however.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably a good topic for another thread. However in this thread it is off topic.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Socially defined? What hokum!

But those definitions fits the bill.

The two, satire and activism, are not opposed. Furthermore, Franken is accountable.

That satire depends on reason and reasonableness could be why satire is lost on many so people.

This is news?

This essay presents a very strange argument, that Franken smears people with truth rather than with fiction thus violating the authors' misperception of satire. In other words, because it is true, it isn't fiction and therefore cannot be satire.

Right, that's what makes it funny. The fact that the arguments are backed up by factual evidence is what makes it ok.

#36 Daisy, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Amen!
    :thumbs::applause: