1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dave Ramsey, Dan Miller & the self help gospel

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

Ramsey is a good one. Every Christian should follow their counsel.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am glad you live in the USA and are entitled to your view. I would add, notice I did not make such a comment about anyone that you might listen to or read.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont think I can reason with someone like you. You do not desire to see the truth, but only desire to air your opinion.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Practical theology is a branch of theology. The different systems of theology (historical, exegetical, systematic, biblical, practical, reformed/dogmatic,etc..) is something they teach (not in churches but in bible college).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practical_theology

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I remember right Jesus spent a lot of time talking about money. If that is not practical and theological then what is it?

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm asking for evidence to back up your claims against these two ministries. You have only produced ad hoc criticisms. Please produce some actual evidence when labeling people false teachers.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Uh, thanks, but I have a master's degree in theology. And Chuck Stanley is not very theological.

8. quantumfaith

Dr. Stanley is most often a "topical preacher". He has both a graduate degree and a Th.D in theology. I have never had coffee or dinner with him, but I am certain if you were to ask him, he deems his preaching style and content to be granted by the God he worships. There is no denying that God has used him and his talent and skill to touch the lives of countless persons over the decades of his pastoral ministry.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know anyone named Chuck Stanley. If you mean Charles, then yes from an academic perspective I would agree with you. However for practical theology he is practical. Norm Geisler is very very deep and theological, but not very practical. DA Carson is a good bible exegete, but not very practical. Millard Erikson is also a deep theologian, but not very practical. Its good to have people like Charles Stanley that are practical.

10. quantumfaith

:) I am reminded of I Corinthians 12, Pauls treatise on spiritual gifts.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Comparing God's servants to vomit is appalling...but consider the source.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well it must be true...jaigner has a Master's degree! :rolleyes:

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not a huge fan of Ramsey. His cookie cutter approach doesn't work for everyone. He also is in favor4 of working more and seeing your family less to pay down debt faster and belittles and demeans his callers with "stupid", "idiot". If I recall his financial wisdom came about due to his bankruptcy, not his methods.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly… Its good to have discernment. Listen to Crown and the president does not say you cant have a CC. He says you must pay it off whenever you use it. This is what I do to earn rewards.

Yes Ramsey is very very sarcastic. Once a woman tweeted him, and the tweet ticked him off so much that he said she was mentally ill, crazy, had problems with her parents, she was abused as a child, and on and on he went over someone he does not even know!

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Hmmm, you see, I would find Erikson of Carson very practical.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Yeah, thanks, but what I meant was that I didn't need that particular info, not that all my theological perspectives are spot on or as good as gold.

17. quantumfaith

Thanks jaigner, this type of admittance is a breath of fresh air in BB land. :) I too feel the same, particularly because I have precious few bible/theology courses on my curriculum vitae.

18. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

IF dave really does endorse those men that you listed, then he cannot be trusted for spiritual discernment in theology, but STILL can be viewed as being biblical in his financial advise... NONE of those men actually teach the Bible right, as they all have a Gospel of self esteem/self help, NOT Gospel of jesus!

My biggest fault with dave in monetary issues is that he tends to have debt as being sinful/evil period, and that he assumes that God wants to have ALL Christians financially well off/affluant!

#38 JesusFan, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
  19. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

North is spot on and also shares the reason I'm not a fan. A fraud in many aspects actually.