1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dead Orthodoxy

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by gb93433, Jun 1, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Dr. Bob, I agree wholeheartedly.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ did not rebuke the Church at Ephesus because of "Souls, Souls, Souls" but because they had left their "First Love", Jesus Christ.

3. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I agree we bring glory to God by being saved. We are testimonies of His grace.
    I suppose oldreg and Dr. B. just kinda fell into being saved. No I bet somebody shared the Gospel with them via TV,radio, internet, preaching , one on one, whatever you still had to "Hear" the Gospel and whenever you heard it somebody's voice was behind it.(Unless you just picked up a Bible and started reading and came to Christ) But I think you get my point.

I totally believe the Spirit draws us.

However I was in jail when I repented of my sins.
    I called out to God to save me. I repented of my sins. Yet the moment I was saved I knew that it was God that drew me to himself. I think the whole calvin, arminian thing is a waste of time to discuss. We need to be as balanced as the Bible.
    Which it speaks to both election and free will.
    When I come to the election parts I preach on it
    When I come to whosoever I preach on that.

Maybe I just don't think as deep as you olereg but a church that is in love with Jesus is usually in love with reaching lost folk with the Gospel.

GB- I'd say your about right 80% of visitors might come from another church. That doesn't mean they came from a Bible believing church. Its good to follow up their visit to your church with a visit to their house . Unless they just don't want you to come. Then you can find out where they are coming from. You may not see them come to Christ right then and there but you might get them enrolled in a discipleship class and as the Word is taught they will have the opportunity to come to Christ. We have a twelve week discipleship course at our church. I can't tell you how many folk have come to know Christ through those discipleship courses. People get saved theyh get grounded then they get plugged in serving.

4. shannonL

shannonL New Member

GB I do believe coming to Christ is easy. I just don't believe in "easy believism" per say.
    I'm not to big on folk who prayed a prayer when they were 10, get dipped in the water. Then never ever bear fruit.
    Like Bailey Smith a older SBC evangelist said one time. "You might backslide a few weeks maybe a few months maybe a year or two but, not year after year after year after year". I believe one reason SBC churches may not be growing and baptizing new folk like they think they should hinges somewhat on the fact that alot of folk sitting in the pews are lost. They need to start right there. If you pray to receive Christ and you meant it there will be change it may be instant,dramatic change or it may be gradual. The word conversion has to mean something!