1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deep down?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 27, 2003.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I grew up SBC. I learned many of the tenets of Baptist history, though I would not call myself a student of it. I love missions.

But sometimes, I struggle with parts of it now--where there seems to be people outside my church (local) that try to impose on "baptists" stuff that we can/should impose on ourself.

Do you think the plight of SBC is Independance?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The effort is control. It is an effort to control what they want taught and said. Its about image. But it will never work. Look at other denominations that have tried and failed and are much worse than ever before. I have watched friends of mine who are pastors in the SBC who will say nothing just to get ahead or keep their job and are actually buying into the church growth stuff over time. Some disagree with it but keeo quiet. A friend of mine went to a church growth conference and he came back telling me that the way to grow a church was to start with a wealthy area. The fact is that history has shown exactly the opposite. When the SBC was in its heyday it did seek to serve and start chruches in poor area.

While I was pastoring in the SBC they brought in some people from outside the SBC to be on their boards to give them advice. Some of them were actually employed by the SBC at one of the seminaries. I is an effort to make a change from the typical Baptist theology as SBC people ahve known to something very different. SWBTS has brought in some professors recently who have graduated from DTS. What a mix! DTS is getting more and more away from the old line dispensationalism and SWBTS is embracing it. I find this alarming!